Best British Movie

Like to ask the Bald Move family what's their favourite British movie? Lots of good choices. My personal favourite is Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie at the top of his game and just a fun movie with fun comedy, good twists and great actors.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    So hard to choose - I've always had a fondness for the British film industry. I think I have to go with Withnail and I. I have seen it many times since it was released and I still drop random quotes from it into conversation to this day. On the rare occasions someone else gets what I've said I know I've found a kindred spirit.
    Hatorian
  • Dee said:

So hard to choose - I've always had a fondness for the British film industry. I think I have to go with Withnail and I. I have seen it many times since it was released and I still drop random quotes from it into conversation to this day. On the rare occasions someone else gets what I've said I know I've found a kindred spirit.

Never seen it. What's it about and what type of movie is it?
  • This is easy for me. A Clockwork Orange.
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    For such a repressed culture, Britain produces violent crime movies very well. (CC: Japan) Although Peckenpah was American, the original 'Straw Dogs' was a great, controversial production that could in no way have been made (and distributed, and starring someone like Dustin Hoffman) today. Then there's Kubrick, who produced almost everything in England (specifically). Within that universe, I have to go with '2001: A Space Oddessy'. Much of that movie would seem experimental even NOW, 50 years on, if somehow reset and released in theaters this year. For something recent, I'm a fan of cerebral flicks, so the Gary Oldman 'Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy' was right in my wheelhouse.
    [Deleted User]
  • edited April 2015
    I'm a huge fan of all the slow period movies like Howard's End. I also really like Guy Ritchie films. Lock is great and so is Rock n Rolla.
    Oh and not a film but I really like Parade's End which was on HBO but was quintessentially British.
    Finally, My real favs which I almost forgot about are the Cornetto Trilogy. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The Worlds End.
  • I watch a lot of British television but not a lot of movies. Mike Leigh's "Secrets and Lies" was a favorite, but I haven't watched it in years. I also love period dramas, in particular "The Remains of the Day" and Emma Thompson's "Sense and Sensibility". "Match Point" is another favorite that I rewatch now and then; it's a Woody Allen movie, but it's set in London and most of the actors are British. I also love the first Bridget Jones movie.
    Elisa
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, hands down my favorite. All-star cast. Based on a novel by LeCarre. Delicious spy drama. Can't wait for the rumoured sequel, Smiley's People.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian It's a late 1980s movie about two seedy college students who go to stay in the country shack of an uncle... And that's pretty much it! It stars Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann and Ralph Brown. They get drunk and bitch at each other non-stop and it's hilarious.
    Hatorian
  • I'm trying to think of my favorite non-Kubrick British film as @JayInMemphis said, most of his films were made in England. So if I were to be totally honest, 2001 and Dr. Strangelove would be my favorites since those are my two favorite films period. I always think of A Clockwork Orange as his most English film, hence my first post.

Anyway, for non-Kubrick, I would have to say The Third Man with the 1966 Alfie getting honorable mention.
    HatorianFlashGordon
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Love British movies - I think I wanna start a sub category...  Favorite british horror movie?  I really love British take on horror. I think my favorite is the 1973 Wicker Man.
    Hatorian
  • Not sure if it's really a horror film but hands down Shaun of the Dead for me.
  • edited April 2015
    Shallow Grave is a great one. It's Directed by Danny Boyle and of course 28 Days Later
    angryjef
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    If... is also pretty fun. Malcolm McDowell at the start of his carreer.
    @Raiyne

I like Danny Boyle films a lot, 28 days later is fantastic, and I've never seen Shallow Grave, is that one of his early ones?
  • @aberry89. It was made in 1994. I believe it's set in Scotland. Stars Ewan McGregor and is about flat mates who find another flat mate dead...
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited April 2015
    I tried just writing one or two, but it's too hard. My top two classics are Dr Strange Love(UK/US prod) and Lawrence of Arabia 

More recently though Shane Meadows is a really underrated director outside of the UK who made two of my faviroute films of the last decade 'Dead Man's Shoes' and 'This is England'.

Lots of love for Guy Ritchie, Danny Boyle & the Cornetto trilogy  and of course Bond that franchise has been on serious form recently.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I really like The Third Man, but I have to be in a certain mood to watch it.

This is a mainstream popcorn movie, but I adore the 2005 Pride and Prejudice.  I've seen it a jillion times.  Another period film I love is A Room with a View.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Are minty Python movies considered British movies? If so, all of them lol... Or holy grail if I have to choose one.

I also love the Shaun of the dead trilogy :)
    AntManBee
  • I recommend a scottish drama comedy called Filth starring James McAvoy, its one of my favourites, i think its on netflix
  • TaraC73 said:

Are minty Python movies considered British movies? If so, all of them lol... Or holy grail if I have to choose one.

I also love the Shaun of the dead trilogy :)

Yes, they are. And holy shit! I forgot about Terry Gilliam! Two of my favorite films are Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
    @OJSoFunky  Filth was....holy shit that movie. I made the mistake of watching before bed...good luck trying to sleep after that.

James McAvoy was extraordinary, never have I seen an actor so physically and emotionally downward spiral before, it was horrible to watch, and hard to look away. 
  • @aberry89 Yeah James McAvoy really sold the movie to me, this made him one of my favourite actors, how dedicated to the role he was, i recommend the book aswell if you haven't read it
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 2015
    Hard to say, but Layer Cake is definitely the one that comes to mind. Criminally unknown movie, and for the people who know it, almost no one seems to know that it's based a book of the same name. To torture the cliche, the book is way better, but the movie is excellent. Easily my favorite thing Daniel Craig has done.
This discussion has been closed.