907 - Stradivarius (Fan Edition)

Written by Vivian Tse
Directed by Michael Cudlitz

Comments

• Little late today due to being busy but the rules from last time all apply, enjoy. 
  • A building blocks episode. Not bad, not amazing. But I am happy they’re investing time to actually develop characters. It’s been a while since they’ve done that and frankly it’s imperative if they want us to care about these new characters. I’m looking forward to the mid-season finale because it looks like it could be a banger! (Man, it has been a LONG time since I’ve said that!)
    rustywright4
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Loved the Jesus & Mary Chain use in the episode. 

What I still don't love is Carol's hair.  Can she cut it, clip it up, put it in a pony or a messy bun, or *something*?  She looks like a hippie burnout from the 70s.

Still liking this season though, and I really like what Angela Kang's doing.  Like @blue_sleeve, I'm also looking forward the midseason finale.
    blue_sleeve
  • Pretty average episode overall, which was not a thing I could usually say about TWD pre-S9 so still an improvement, but also nothing all that impressive either. Still doing that annoying TWD thing where the main character flip flops personalities every few episodes as a form of “character growth”. It was dumb when Rick did it and it’s still dumb now that Michonne is doing it. 
  • Unsurprisingly, traveling to Hilltop takes longer by wagon than Winnebago.  I thought it was a pretty good TWD episode, which makes the dumb stuff ("I'll sneakily mess with this priceless violin in the dark while traveling with people who don't trust us", "Dog is surrounded by walkers so I'll wade in the middle of them instead killing them from the perimeter", "Let's go find Eugene; I'll ride this incredibly loud motorcycle despite all these walkers about") much easier to tolerate.
  • Remember the good old days when you could just rollerblade from Alexandria to Hilltop in an afternoon?
    Alkaid13Kela15
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited November 2018
    LordBy said:
    Remember the good old days when you could just rollerblade from Alexandria to Hilltop in an afternoon?
    Could have something to do with the Rick-killing bridge being gone. Seems like he said if the walker hoard got across it they would go straight into Hilltop. I don't think they mentioned it this episode, though. They could have put a shot of them going by the wrecked bridge on the way to the long-way around or something.

A little worried about how they're setting up the mysterious scars and animosity of Michonne vs  Maggie.
    Have a feeling we'll get to the mid-season finale, then have the back half of the season be nothing but extended flashback until the season finale. Hopefully not. 

They seem to be pulling off the Whisperer's in a legitimately creepy way and am interested to see that story progress. Not looking forward to 7 episodes of backfilling story behind an arbitrary forward time jump. If they were going to do that would have preferred to just see the story in chronological order. Starting to get tired of the [over]use of that storytelling device that seems to be all the rage at the moment.

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Aw, Carol and Daryl though! Bless!  <3 :*
    blue_sleeve
  • redlancer said:
    They seem to be pulling off the Whisperer's in a legitimately creepy way and am interested to see that story progress. Not looking forward to 7 episodes of backfilling story behind an arbitrary forward time jump. If they were going to do that would have preferred to just see the story in chronological order. Starting to get tired of the [over]use of that storytelling device that seems to be all the rage at the moment.
    Yes, Whisperers good so far, and it would be nice if the show kept going with minimal backfilling.  Backfilling may seem annoying when it happens but it actually cuts out a lot of B and C plot we'd see in an episode if they told the story chronologically, so in some ways it's an improvement.