Forums site slow

is it just me or has the forums site been very slow in responding and sometimes come up with unavailable? I’ve checked by going to other websites and my speed has been fine. But over the last couple days I’ve had multiple issues with the site either not responding or taking a very Long time to load...
MichelleKela15darwinfeeshyJTKIII

Comments

• It's the forums acting up, the guys are aware of it and they're looking in to it.
    HatorianReni
  • it always slows down in the winter. The internet juice starts to get thicker as it gets colder. If it gets cold enough it can freeze completely, but usually that doesn't happen.

Kela15Frakkin TKate23bazjensterMurderbeardarwinfeeshy
  • It’s extremely slow 
    darwinfeeshy
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, to expound, we started seeing it slow down a few months ago. It had been a good long while since we upgraded the instance the forums run on, so we doubled the CPU and memory allocation, thinking that would do the trick. Unfortunately, if anything the performance is worse. 

If we can get through the next two weeks I'll have some time to optimize and tune things, probably do another forum software upgrade, and hopefully that will help, or else we'll get some outside help on the issue. 
    NoelMurderbearJTKIIIFlukes
    Here's the last year of forum performance stats...

What happened in October, you might ask? Beats the hell out of me. I'm speculating that we've hit some sort of internal limit in the forum software, and we're going to have to archive very old threads or what not, because this spike in server horsepower has no corresponding peak in traffic/users.
    MurderbearMichellecdrive
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    It's Bezos attempting to sabotage the boys.
    Noelasmallcat
  • The Copper Wars begin anew!
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Is the forum instance tied to the wiki? Looks like it's still getting spammed with boner pill ad edits. The initial uptrend seems to correspond with when people first started working on it.
    FlukesAlkaid13A_Ron_HubbardMurderbearDummyCapeGabeNoelChinaskiHatorianGondwanalandia
    edited November 21
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Is the forum instance tied to the wiki? Looks like it's still getting spammed with boner pill ad edits. The initial uptrend seems to correspond with when people first started working on it.
    Holy shit, what a great observation. I disabled the wiki, renamed the directory structure, and hung a static HTML page out there and the server immediately returned to baseline. 

johnnytruantJaimieT
  • I feel like we need to invent some reddit style gold award because @johnnytruant clearly deserves it. 
    MurderbearDummyMichelleNoelFlukescdriveChinaski
  • It makes us stop and think about what we're about to type, making us less likely to say something dumb.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! 
  • I'm just in it for the faster load times... and the "likes".
    Alkaid13DummybizmarkiefaderJaimieTMurderbearNoelFlukescdriveCretanBullbazjensterand 1 other.
    @Alkaid13, indeed. Yo @johnnytruant, DM me. I'll send you a t-shirt, free copy of my book, hook you up with a club sub or increase your current subscription... you saved us a lot of time and money and made the community instantly better, so you got some official Bald Gratitude coming your way!
    Frakkin TNaugustineDoubleA_RonDummyMichellebizmarkiefaderJaimieTMurderbearNoelcdriveand 4 others.
  • wait, I think you buried the lead

There's a Bald Move wiki?
    There was. It was sacrificed to the vengeful gods of a Russian bot farm. It may be returning early in the new year, in a safer, more secure hosting platform.
    darwinfeeshy
  • redlancer said:
    wait, I think you buried the lead

There's a Bald Move wiki?
    Yes, and it's so hot and desirable it got flooded with boner pills apparently.
  • I’ve noticed that I’m being logged out every time I visit the forums now, when I wasn’t before. Is this just my issue, or is this happening to others? 
  • There was. It was sacrificed to the vengeful gods of a Russian bot farm. It may be returning early in the new year, in a safer, more secure hosting platform.
    My poor, beautiful Wiki.  I think I finally understand how Data felt at the end of "Offspring."
    CapeGabeJaimieTCretanBullAlkaid13Chinaski
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Shum said:
    There was. It was sacrificed to the vengeful gods of a Russian bot farm. It may be returning early in the new year, in a safer, more secure hosting platform.
    My poor, beautiful Wiki.  I think I finally understand how Data felt at the end of "Offspring."

So no feelings?
    FlukesShumCretanBull
  • Whaaaa???? How the hell can spam traffic to a wiki slow down the forums??? That seems pathetic on the software's part. But I've never had to program anti-spam stuff, so I guess it's more complicated than I thought. Yikes!
  • I've noticed this on iOS Safari.

I’ve noticed that I’m being logged out every time I visit the forums now, when I wasn’t before. Is this just my issue, or is this happening to others? 

• I’ve noticed that I’m being logged out every time I visit the forums now, when I wasn’t before. Is this just my issue, or is this happening to others? 
    There are a few related issues that a few of us have dealt with.  Do you view the forums from the same platform each time?  Like, if you're on your PC do you log in using the same browser each time or are you getting logged out when your last log in was on your PC and then you logged in with your phone?
    There are a few related issues that a few of us have dealt with.  Do you view the forums from the same platform each time?  Like, if you're on your PC do you log in using the same browser each time or are you getting logged out when your last log in was on your PC and then you logged in with your phone?
    I’m using mostly safari for iOS like @Doctor_Nick said. 
    I occasionally use the site on other platforms, but I expect to have to log in then. It’s just the issue with safari that I’ve been experiencing lately. Also worth noting, AS SOON as I said something it stopped happening. 
    CretanBull