Fire & Blood

Just picked up my copy of Fire & Blood and cannot wait to get started! Who else is starting to read today? Hopefully we can start a pretty fun discussion in the coming weeks. 
Elisarusskelly

Comments

• I'm going to pick it up from the library later today.
  • My copy was delivered this morning! I’m excited to get into it. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited November 21
    Anthony and I will have a first reaction pod out Friday, then the next three weeks well be doing a deep dive! Send us feedback if you got a hot take!
    Elisa
  • I see that, like Gods of Thrones, this book is Vol. 1. Unlike Gods though, Anthony and ARon don’t have two more fucking books to write, goddamnit George! He’s really just prolonging this now. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    A_Ron's book just arrived in the mail and can't wait to read it!

Heading out tomorrow to buy George's F&B. A part of me hates to reward the man that will obviously never finish Game of Thrones, but I just can't resist. I do think it's time for all of us to admit that the HBO ending is the only one we'll get, so I pray it's a good one.
    russkelly
  • What was the section breakdown for the deep dive podcasts?
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    ebadillo said:
    What was the section breakdown for the deep dive podcasts?
    Part 1: Up to but not including Jaehaerys and Alysanne- Their Triumphs and Tragedies

Part 2: Up to but not including The Dying of the Dragons- Rhaenyra Triumphant 

Part 3: Through the end of the book
    ebadillo
  • I am enjoying the book greatly. I have a few dumb nitpicks but the biggest is one that occurs within the very first pages. It's the first page after the contents. The page gives a description of the book that says:

Fire & Blood
    Being a History of the
    Targaryen Kinds of Westeros.

Volume One
    from Aegon I (the conqueror)
    to
    The Regency of Aegon III (the Dragonbane)
    by Archmaester Gydayn
    of the Citadel of Oldtown

(here transcribed by George R. R, Martin)

It's the bolded to which I take offense. It just felt like he was inserting himself into his own book since it describes him as transcribing the words of Archmaester.

Like I said, it's a dumb nitpick. Llol.

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Gan said:
    I am enjoying the book greatly. I have a few dumb nitpicks but the biggest is one that occurs within the very first pages. It's the first page after the contents. The page gives a description of the book that says:

Fire & Blood
    Being a History of the
    Targaryen Kinds of Westeros.

Volume One
    from Aegon I (the conqueror)
    to
    The Regency of Aegon III (the Dragonbane)
    by Archmaester Gydayn
    of the Citadel of Oldtown

(here transcribed by George R. R, Martin)

It's the bolded to which I take offense. It just felt like he was inserting himself into his own book since it describes him as transcribing the words of Archmaester.

Like I said, it's a dumb nitpick. Llol.

He’s just getting everyone ready for the final episode of the show where you pan out to see GRRM as an old Sam telling the story of The Song of Ice and Fire to Jon and Danys kid(s)
    Kate23
  • Listening to the audible version:
    ”A-Nees”
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I've only read a little bit so far but it seemed to be mistmo regurgitation from World of Ice and Fire
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I've only read a little bit so far but it seemed to be mistmo regurgitation from World of Ice and Fire
    Really???  I hope not. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited November 26
    Duh I have been wanting to get this book for a few weeks. I went into my book store went to fantasy sci fi and picked up two warhammer 40k books. Was in the checkout line while slow clerks moved the line slow. As I was getting up to the register I saw behind the counter the book. I glanced to the front of the store where there was a large display. So I dumped the warhammer books for this one. I hope the Emperor will forgive me. 

Also hours ago when I saw this thread posted I didn’t make the connection. I need some coffee or something.
  • As someone who hasn't read World of Ice and Fire, I guess that's sort of a blessing if the book is too similar. I like it a lot so far.
  • Every character named Joffrey makes me freaking nervous as heck.

But I supposed that is the way of History:  One Henry was one of the most feared and respected kings of all of England (Henry I).  The next Henry was a strong but impetuous ruler, who was not a great dad (Henry II) but respected as a good king that stapled England back together after the civil war.  The next, John Lackland's son, was a boy king who was temperamental and weak willed.  I know there were at least 8 Henrys, and they were all different.

So I guess I need to stop reflexively clenching my butt cheeks at ever mention of a "Joffrey."
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Elisa said:
    I've only read a little bit so far but it seemed to be mistmo regurgitation from World of Ice and Fire
    Really???  I hope not. 
    I disagree with some of this.  World of Ice and Fire had the same high points, but this book really dives into the actual characters and you get a lot more detail.  

I still got a bit lost in the Dance of the Dragons section, but it was definitely easier to follow than in the princess and the queen or the world of ice and fire.  I'm enjoying, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. 
    Elisa
  • Chapter 106
    I want a Dragon so damn bad.  

There are little children in this stupid chapter who get to have Dragons.

Ya know, although I am loving the series, I thought Westworld was a silly concept (who would want to go to some stupid Western-themed fantasy world, regardless of the debauchery?) until someone said they would probably also make a Tolkein-world.

If Delos makes a world I can fly a Dragon, I will rob, or if necessary kill, enough people until I have enough money to get there. 

I am having major Dragon envy to the point that in this chapter, for the first time, I am totally cool with all the chaos and tragedy that is going to strike all these ungrateful Dragon-havers.

Come on science, I want a Dragon!
  • I'm having a ball with this. Getting the expansions and deeper character development on figures I'd only heard of or had thin impressions of before like Jaehaerys and Alysanne, all of their kids, Rhaena Targaryen, it's been a treat to get a deeper view of their lives and the various intrigues that occurred through all of the various reigns. Even the sections that are essentially rereads have been a delight. It makes me even more excited for Volume II where we can get more in depth looks at Aegon the Unworthy, Daemon Blackfyre, Viserys II, Maekar, and even Egg's reign. At this point, I'd probably be happier if we get Volume II instead of A Dream of Spring and I NEVER thought I'd feel that way.

Also, SPOILERS for the book to follow...

I love some of the implications he's throwing in here for The Winds of Winter. Alyssa Targaryen possibly being either foreshadowing or a tribute to the Tyrion Targaryen theory. The fate of Princess Aerea and what that might mean for Euron Greyjoy's master plan, who allegedly sailed to Valyria and survived and whose plans The Forsaken preview chapter hinted were very dark indeed. 

Plus, I love any expansion of the greater world. I know plenty of fans will like Elissa Farman's role in the origins of some rather relevant dragon eggs. But I was even more excited by her voyage west, her discovery of the previously unrevealed trio of small islands and the claim by Corlys Velaryon that he spotted her ship anchored at Asshai years later. Great stuff.

Writing down here in case you want to avoid that spoilery paragraph. I hope we get Volume II!
    rhcoop
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I thought there might be an interesting connection to the fate of Princess Aerea and Victarion's new fire arm. Medicinal use of fireworms? 
  • I thought there might be an interesting connection to the fate of Princess Aerea and Victarion's new fire arm. Medicinal use of fireworms? 
    That’s an interesting thought. I was worried that he had managed to get some of those creepy parasites and use them as biological warfare. 

He he may have been aware of what happened to the princess and was more careful, and I can’t help but think advancing from a beach would be a more easy way to avoid that stuff than landing midland in dragonback
  • Vague Spoilers for up to Chapter 156:

This slog has reminded something said from the Pillars of the Earth, which I read years ago, I'm too lazy to track down a copy of the book to find the actual quote.

The Monk Francis says that Empress Maud and her cousin King Stephen are "Crown Clipping."  That by splitting up old baronies and earldoms to make more lordships or reward "loyal" followers they were doing to the crown what an immoral shop keep might do to a coin - slowly shaving the edge of power off until the value of the currency was much diminished.  Also, since lords could take an offer from Stephen and force Maud to counter it (and vice versa) the lords were gaining unprecedented influence and power.

When Henry the conqueror died and had all his barons swear fealty to Maud the kingdom was strong, prosperous and wealthy.  The office of the king itself was power without question and without any challenge.  2 generations along and we get King John and the Magna Carta.  If either Stephen had gotten behind Maud (which you know, he swore to God he would) or Maud would have gotten behind Stephen, the crown likely would have maintained its power for a long while more.

I think that although a lot of the story is based on the Tudors a lot of this portion is borrowed from that period where "Christ and his Saints Slept."

I really wish that before this whole mess we could have seen those two brothers who were chill rule in tandem.  Any situation where an Aenys gives a Maekor the family sword and the Maekor character says "yeah bro, totes loyal." and then there is no treachery.  Just once, even for the contrast.  I'm so tired of "brother fights brother" or "I know the king said you should be queen and everyone in the kingdom said they would support you, but you're a girl."

Even if it is short lived, I would love one chapter of a reprieve where this stupid family doesn't just murder each other or run away to Essos to be prostitutes.
  • Chapter 176

I hate the King’s hand so much. I hope he gets murdered soon. 
  • Okay, I know I'm the only one posting, little embarrassed:

However, is it just me or did this end abruptly?  Spent a million pages on the Dance, then cut out on a reign that seemed infinitely more interesting.
    Teresa from Concord