Game of Thrones episodes leaked ahead of air date

Hi all, just a heads up, that at least 3 (rumoured up to 6 in total) of the new season of Game of Thrones is leaked.

May your spoiler watch begin.

Comments

• AlexAlex Seattle
    Are they on any torrent sites?
  • Correct.

4 episodes so far, but they are teasing more.
  • nice! I've only seen the first episode. Where are the others?
  • They would be available on torrent sites.
  • edited April 2015
    They are all available on private & public trackers, these releases are reported low quality though GOT is a show that i find is better viewed at a high quality. Going to wait for the real releases..

I would make sure your on a VPN or something like that, they could well follow these shares up!
  • Private trackers would be safer right?
  • Yeah they generally are the more private the tracker is the better, but i suppose you never really know =S
  • Yea. I decided against it. Wait for the high quality official versions. Here in Singapore some peeps got served notice for DLing Dallas Buyers Club. Probably not the best time to be using a T.
  • edited April 2015
    @Hatorian singapore got hit with the DBC problems also? In Aust they took isp iinet to court to release the details of the people who downloaded it and ended up winning, a lot of people are worried that this may open the flood gates!

• @phil_neko yep. All 3 of the major ISPs have been ordered to give up the names of people. 500 in total I think. Was all over the news sites this weekend.
  • Hmm interesting, they must be trying it world wide...... thank the internet gods for usenet!
    ksa1001
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @phil_neko GoT creators have stated they're ok with people pirating because it basically makes the show more popular. I think it's even possible they leaked it on purpose to get the buzz and the hype going ahead of time.

Of course I'm not saying you should because I think they deserve every penny they can squeeze out of their official ratings but yeah... if there's a show you should feel less bad about pirating, it's GoT.
  • Nice one @Arctor wasnt aware of that, that is a good stance that they have taken then. I like the show even more now!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Gah. This will really complicate the non spoiler feedback. I already have book readers passing themselves off as show watchers to score "valuable" Internet prediction points.
    historicstorkElisaSlytherinSisterJaimieTsteph_b
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I seriously doubt that the copyright holder and the ones who foot the bill for GoT are okay with pirating.  Yes, they want the show to be as popular as it can be, but they are not okay with people stealing it, and especially with people distributing inferior copies.  This is the main reason why HBO is airing S5 simultaneously worldwide, and why they worked really hard to offer a standalone service before the premiere.  It's the nicest, most indirect way I've seen a copyright holder to ask people, "Please don't steal from us."
    Elisa
    edited April 2015
    @pavlovsbell I was going to ask how on earth I'd be able to watch it in Europe but I found out there's an HBO Netherlands :)

When it comes to the why they would be OK with it I can only speculate and speak for myself. I can imagine it increases revenue to release lower quality copies because more people will be hooked on the show and seek to watch HD quality broadcasts. Ultimately it's up to the producers to calculate if piracy is hurting their revenue by reducing their paid viewership or helping them by creating a larger fanbase and increasing the hype (more people included in the public conversation means more people checking out the show and spreading the word). That's why I can imagine the show creators not minding it or why that director made the statements he did on the matter.

Personally there's an element of - I guess - guilt involved and a wish to support creators I like that makes me more likely to pay for something if I get it for free anyway (for instance the Bald Move membership). This is also the reason I have a Netflix account even though piracy is a platform that's just as convenient. Netflix has a very reasonable membership fee and offer pretty amazing service. Their only real downside is the geolocking of content and the vastly reduced library they carry in my country (most people, including me, use a browser plugin that allows access to the US library).

EDIT: Aaaand I just found out HBO Netherlands is only for digital television and not for online streaming so that doesn't work since I don't have a television. It's also 15 euros a month which is pretty absurd because that's two times the amount I pay for Netflix and three times what I pay my ISP in the first place. Sorry HBO, that's just not happening.
    krislfrazier
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I subscribe to a site that does all the legwork around gathering content, vetting it for quality, presenting it in an easily navigable format and making it available for streaming usually same day as release. (I won't promote it here out of respect for team BM).

The problem I have is... They put up the first four episodes last night.  I watched E01, and the other three are just sitting there waiting for me to press play.  I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.  I'm concerned if I watch them ahead of time, I'll be robbing myself of the fun of discussing and speculating on the show along with everyone else.  Not to mention, waiting another month for new GoT again.

I sincerely doubt I'll be able to resist watching them, but my gut is telling me to try.  A lot of the entertainment I get from GoT is listening to podcasts and talking with friends and I'll lose some of that otherwise.
    ElisaAntManBee
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    HBO would not intentionally leak multiple episodes, especially sub-quality ones.  GoT is already the most pirated show; HBO is trying to minimize that, not increase it.

I understand that international copyright law is frustrating and complex at best, a complete mess at worst.  My background is in intellectual property law, and the majority of my friends are in the creative arts, mostly on the artist side, but also some on the production / professional side, so I have firm opinions about copyright protection and, I'm sorry, very little sympathy for those who violate it.
    ArctorElisaSlytherinSister
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited April 2015
    Outside of the US, content providers are desperately trying to wring every penny they can from content consumers by entering into agreements that force content availability down very narrow expensive channels.  Cable dramas like GoT are only one example.  

Live sports in many countries are not available outside cable packages.  While it's possible to buy online streaming packages, many leagues sign agreements that mean online services are only available to cable subscribers who purchase the ability to also watch the games on TV.  By the way, if you want to watch all the games and there are multiple rights-holders - you can bet one will be in "Sports 1" and the other will be in "Sports 2".  Of course, you'll also need a basic channel package and a digital HD "upgrade" package before you're permitted to subscribe to either of these "value packages".

I pay for content whenever the creators and providers make it available:
    a) When I can only buy the content I want; and/or
    b) The price is reasonable for the amount of content I will actually consume.

I have very little sympathy for rights holders who aren't content to sell the high-quality content for a reasonable price and demand you also purchase low-quality content you have no interest in. 
    edited April 2015
    @pavlovsbell Just to be clear, I absolutely agree with you. I have friends struggling in the music industry. I create video-game content myself and although that's all open source there are still huge issues with plagiarism and people selling, repackaging, reverse-engineering and copying other people's intellectual property without permission or credits. To the point where I've become extremely conservative in what I release myself.

When I pirate shows I know what I'm doing is wrong and I absolutely abhor people who try to justify their actions by making it into a moral crusade for freedom of information sharing and such nonsense. Or people who feel so entitled they think it's ok to pirate because it's in the wrong format or there's no app for their phone or whatever. I also hear the "well I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't free so no revenue is lost" which is equally ridiculous.

Again: not trying to justify my (or other people's) actions here but @Flukes has a point. As a European it's a nightmare. Even the "simultaneous release" HBO promises isn't truly simultaneous. After paying the 15 euros a month + 7 euros for digi-tv they only make the episode available after it airs in the US.

For most shows like BCS they only become available in the EU after the complete season has aired in the US, sometimes even months after. This means having to wait, getting spoiled, not being able to participate in the internet debates etc. etc.

There have been some improvements already so it's going in the right direction. Netflix for the EU has been great and will be even greater when the anti-geolocking legislation gets passed in EU parliament. Services like Spotify give consumers more control and the artist a bigger chunk of the profit. I think this is the way to go to get more people to pay for what they consume.
    pavlovsbell
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    In Australia, the only way to legally watch Game of Thrones is to have a Foxtel (pay TV) subscription and include the premium pay TV channel that GoT is shown on. It currently costs about $60 a month to get a whole load of crap plus the channel you need for GoT. You can't even buy each episode on iTunes because Rupert Murdoch (owner of our pay TV) stitched up a deal where the season is only released on iTunes when it's complete.

So our choice is to pay through the nose to a rich old Mr Burns guy, wait three months to get the full season on iTunes (and good luck avoiding Internet spoilers during that time), or... pirate it. That's the reason Australia supposedly pirates GoT more than any other country in the world.
    phil_nekoElisaFlashGordon
  • Great points @Dee i don't think some people in the US know just how hard it is for some other countries to get some content, especially when they will sell all their distribution rights one holder (ie foxtel) with no regard to how their content will then be released.

Give people a reasonable priced way of getting content and people will use it, but a lot of these big companies are stuck in the old model and trying to charge an arm and a leg for content (foxtel $60 month for SD, plus setup fees, your on a yearly contract?, you need to schedule a install box and satellite on roof) and they wonder why people turn to piracy.
  • Dee said:

It currently costs about $60 a month to get a whole load of crap plus the channel you need for GoT. 

...and that is what it comes down to for me. Let me buy a season pack which I get immediately, for ONLY shows that I want, or no deal.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @phil_neko Yeah, U.S. people are very spoiled for choice when it comes to legitimate viewing! We only just got Netflix here two weeks ago (an extremely truncated version compared to the U.S. one) and we don't have HBO Go or anything like that. It's ridiculous.
    Elisa
    @Dee That's because Rupert Murdoch is Evil incarnate. That missing girl phone-hack was a dead giveaway.

I really feel bad for Straya, you guys already got shafted so hard in the bandwidth and censorship department, now I hear these horror stories about TV... makes me sad man.
  • I seriously doubt that the copyright holder and the ones who foot the bill for GoT are okay with pirating.  Yes, they want the show to be as popular as it can be, but they are not okay with people stealing it, and especially with people distributing inferior copies.  This is the main reason why HBO is airing S5 simultaneously worldwide, and why they worked really hard to offer a standalone service before the premiere.  It's the nicest, most indirect way I've seen a copyright holder to ask people, "Please don't steal from us."
    They are not "okay" with their show being pirated, but HBO has publicly stated they have no intention of going after anyone that pirates their content and that they see the fact that GoT is the most pirated show to be reflective of the quality and blah blah blah. HBO obviously doesn't make money from commercial advertisement strewn throughout the show, which makes them very different to non-premium networks when it comes to perceiving lost revenue. Illegal exposure to their shows can certainly attract some to subscribe to HBO if they like what they see; those who don't are essentially demonstrating that they would not subscribe regardless, so there's no actual loss there. HBO understands this, and is why they have never gone after piracy, even if they don't like it.

However, there's a big difference between pirating episodes after they air and pirating advance episodes that have not been released. It's like what happened to The Expendables 3 last summer. This type of bullshit is what could make them really care to start going after piracy since it can actually tangibly hurt their bottom line.

I was happy to see HBO Now finally become a reality, only to see a giant stinky Apple turd drop on it with their exclusive 3 month Apple TV deal.

Elisa
    Dee said:

IThat's the reason Australia supposedly pirates GoT more than any other country in the world.

Well, that, and the fact that you're all a barely reformed penal colony full of outlaws and rebels.  :D

Elisapavlovsbellksa1001Flukessteph_bTaraC73
  • I never download anything. But I do stream a lot of shows, GoT included. I just don't have the money for the subscription packages.

However, on the flip side, if I really enjoy a show enough to watch it over and over, I go ahead and buy it on DVD or digital once it's released. I saved up to get all 4 seasons of GoT (HD) on Vudu, and I plan to get season 5 once it's released. So I'm still contributing because it's a FANTASTIC product.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    Flukes said:

I subscribe to a site that does all the legwork around gathering content, vetting it for quality, presenting it in an easily navigable format and making it available for streaming usually same day as release. (I won't promote it here out of respect for team BM).

The problem I have is... They put up the first four episodes last night.  I watched E01, and the other three are just sitting there waiting for me to press play.  I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.  I'm concerned if I watch them ahead of time, I'll be robbing myself of the fun of discussing and speculating on the show along with everyone else.  Not to mention, waiting another month for new GoT again.

I sincerely doubt I'll be able to resist watching them, but my gut is telling me to try.  A lot of the entertainment I get from GoT is listening to podcasts and talking with friends and I'll lose some of that otherwise.
    I was in the same boat and said the same thing (why go a month without a new one) and then someone tried to spoil something for me and that went out the window. No damn way I'ma have a smart-ass try to ruin something for me, I'll watch and be un-ruinable and just do my customary 2nd watch when they air.
    ksa1001 said:

Flukes said:

I was in the same boat and said the same thing (why go a month without a new one) and then someone tried to spoil something for me and that went out the window. No damn way I'ma have a smart-ass try to ruin something for me, I'll watch and be un-ruinable and just do my customary 2nd watch when they air.
    That's... a really good argument.  Damn, really muddies up the ethical waters, doesn't it?  I mean shit, if you're an HBO customer, I'd say it's guilt free, and if you're the type to pirate and then find alternate way to support (DVDs/Digital downloads when available), then same deal. Or if you can't afford either, you're already pirating it, so whatever.  I've been having this same debate, and being a podcaster with wanting to deliver on some sort of expected "instant cast/weekly cast" experience for listeners is a whole other wrinkle.