NCAA College Football Playoffs

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited November 29 in General
As a south suburb Chicagoian that doesn’t really care about about NCAA I basically root for 4 teams. 

1. NIU where I went to college but plays in the MAC and will never have a shot at the playoffs

2. Illinois. Have to root for my state but once again they just don’t have the recruiting power to actually make an impact. 

3. Northwestern. Which is considered “Chicago’s team”. There’s a chance one day they go undefeated and win the Big 10 and can make the playoffs. But even if they win the Big 10 this year their odds are extremely slim. 

4. Notre Dsme. South Bend is like 60 minute drive from where I grew up and all their games were on TV  growing up so I became a fan similar to the Cubs WGN fans. Plus they have more of s connection to parts of Illinois than Indiana. 

5-10 rest of Big Ten teams where I have no love but would root for them over any other conference team. 

Eveything seems to ge falling into to place. It will be s no brainer for the committee if Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma win. Add Notre Dame and you have your locked in 4. 

But im hoping for anarchy. Alabama loses, Clemson loses, tOSU loses. Oklahoma loses. Then you probably get a number 1 Notre Dame, 2 Georgia and then the final two spots will be a cluster fuck. Do you put in 1 loss Alabama who didn’t win their ship? Or 2 loss /tOSH/Oklahoma or do you put in a one loss Clemson with a weak schedule? Do you put big ten champ Northwestern? Or do they Actually hahe the Balls to put in an undefeated UCF granted they win their chanpionship? 

Please please please lets hope for Chaos.

but I’d imagine even if Alabama loses we get both Georgia and Alabama in the playoffs. 

Comments

• What is the conventional wisdom, if Alabama loses, Clemson, tOSU, and Oklahoma win?  Does Bama get in before tOSU or Oklahoma?  
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Hatorian said:
    As a south suburb Chicagoian that doesn’t really care about about NCAA I basically root for 4 teams. 

1. NIU where I went to college but plays in the MAC and will never have a shot at the playoffs

2. Illinois. Have to root for my state but once again they just don’t have the recruiting power to actually make an impact. 

3. Northwestern. Which is considered “Chicago’s team”. There’s a chance one day they go undefeated and win the Big 10 and can make the playoffs. But even if they win the Big 10 this year their odds are extremely slim. 

4. Notre Dsme. South Bend is like 60 minute drive from where I grew up and all their games were on TV  growing up so I became a fan similar to the Cubs WGN fans. Plus they have more of s connection to parts of Illinois than Indiana. 

5-10 rest of Big Ten teams where I have no love but would root for them over any other conference team. 

Eveything seems to ge falling into to place. It will be s no brainer for the committee if Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma win. Add Notre Dame and you have your locked in 4. 

But im hoping for anarchy. Alabama loses, Clemson loses, tOSU loses. Oklahoma loses. Then you probably get a number 1 Notre Dame, 2 Georgia and then the final two spots will be a cluster fuck. Do you put in 1 loss Alabama who didn’t win their ship? Or 2 loss /tOSH/Oklahoma or do you put in a one loss Clemson with a weak schedule? Do you put big ten champ Northwestern? Or do they Actually hahe the Balls to put in an undefeated UCF granted they win their chanpionship? 

Please please please lets hope for Chaos.

but I’d imagine even if Alabama loses we get both Georgia and Alabama in the playoffs. 

As a Volunteers fan, I'm painfully aware of how good Bama is.

IF UGA somehow beats Bama, you are correct and Bama is still in the playoffs unless UGA just beats the dog out of them (pun intended). That's NOT going to happen.  It will be another beat down Saturday night in the SEC Championship.  If it's close, the zebras will protect Bama.  It's been happening all year. 

IF Notre Dame gets in the playoffs, they will be out in the first round.  Clemson, Bama or UGA will smash them.  They just don't play enough tough competition.  They aren't ready for the level of talent the other 3 teams have.  ND barely beat Vandy.  ND needs to get into a conference before they can be relevant and important. 

Just go ahead and realize that the sportswriters and committee will figure out a way to knock out ND and put Ohio State in there.  They'll get killed as well, but they love that program. I'm just glad Urban's health has turned around again now that they are winning :b

I'm just hoping for controversy for the teams in the 4-7 spots and people in big 10 and big 12 country get mad enough to force the playoffs to move to 8 teams.  One home game for the higher seeds and then the system we have now.  That would be amazing. 
    tom_g
  • Up vote for 8 teams - feel bad for UCF and whichever of tOSU / OU that is on the outside looking in.
  • If you take out Bama’s 2 games against Georgia their SOS is weak as hell.

notre dame is one of three power 5 teams to NEVER schedule a D1-AA school. Yes that division doesn’t exist anymore but their 12 game schedule is just as difficult as s 13 game schedule when your considere they don’t have the luxury of scheduling cupcakes. They have played something like 5 teams that have been ranked in the top 25 this year and that doesn’t even include perennial powerhouses like USC and Stanford who just so happend to have down years this year. 

Notre Dame has been tested. Not saying they are going to win anything when it comes to the playoffs but their schedule is always one of the hardest in the leagues

also o I agree with 8 teams. Get rid of the annual cupcake games and make each team play 11 games plus a championship. I’m sure they can find s way for ND to remain idenpendent but play a game during championship week so they match ya in terms of total games played. 

• tom_g said:
    What is the conventional wisdom, if Alabama loses, Clemson, tOSU, and Oklahoma win?  Does Bama get in before tOSU or Oklahoma?  
    Probably. We have seen it before. If Bama loses a close game to Georgia then 5 and 6th seeds probably get fucked
    tom_g said:
    Up vote for 8 teams - feel bad for UCF and whichever of tOSU / OU that is on the outside looking in.
    I wouldn't feel bad for UCF.  They don't play anybody. It's easy to get up for one or two games a year.  It's the grind of 4-5 tough conference games in a row that shows how good a team is.  UCF can't hang with the big boys. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Is there really any chance Alabama doesn't win the title? It feels like everyone else is playing for the right to get blown out in the championship game.

I really hate the way the college football post season is scheduled. It's a whole damn month from the conference titles to the next games, when they pop back up again it's like oh right college football isn't over yet and I can't maintain much interest between all the holidays and the NFL and basketball. Unless you somehow care about the 500 useless exhibition games you're taking a month off of the sport before the most important games. I end up caring more about who makes the playoff than who actually wins it because it happens around the excitement of all these conference championships when people are still invested.
    Hatorian said:
    If you take out Bama’s 2 games against Georgia their SOS is weak as hell.

notre dame is one of three power 5 teams to NEVER schedule a D1-AA school. Yes that division doesn’t exist anymore but their 12 game schedule is just as difficult as s 13 game schedule when your considere they don’t have the luxury of scheduling cupcakes. They have played something like 5 teams that have been ranked in the top 25 this year and that doesn’t even include perennial powerhouses like USC and Stanford who just so happend to have down years this year. 

Notre Dame has been tested. Not saying they are going to win anything when it comes to the playoffs but their schedule is always one of the hardest in the leagues

also o I agree with 8 teams. Get rid of the annual cupcake games and make each team play 11 games plus a championship. I’m sure they can find s way for ND to remain idenpendent but play a game during championship week so they match ya in terms of total games played. 
    Bama hasn't played UGA yet this year.  They are hardly ever a normal season opponent for Bama.  TN is the recurring SEC East rival and the other SEC east team rotates.  

LSU was ranked in the top 7 or higher then they played Bama, they've had a weak schedule this year, but bad teams in the SEC whip most other higher ranked power 5 league teams.  A lot of Bama's SEC west opponents were ranked when they played them.  Just look at the historical results against the big 10 in particular.  They are just on a totally different level than anyone else is in the country this year. 

I just can't go with you on the ND schedule.  That isn't anywhere close to the toughest schedule in the country.  It's not their fault Florida State and USC are down, but their only decent opponent this year was Michigan.  The rest are bottom feeder ACC and Big 10 programs.  I'd like to see what ND's record would be if they were in the Big 10, SEC or even the ACC.  I'd wager they would be a 500 program if they had to play a regular conference schedule. 

That's just my opinion and I get that I'm not a ND fan so I apologize if I'm too hard on them, but just my thoughts.

I'll never forget the Miracle at South Bend!

GO VOLS!
  • NIU MAC champs!! Go huskies! On to some lame ass bowl game like the Costco AutoZone bowl!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    A’s first round pick Kyler Murray is fun to watch. guess he’s gonna stick with baseball 
  • Chinaski said:
    A’s first round pick Kyler Murray is fun to watch. guess he’s gonna stick with baseball 
    Smart move. Guaranteed money and you’re not brain dead at the age of 35
  • Man. I don’t want to be the commiteee right now. 

Obviously Alabama and Clemson are in. But the 3-5 slots are not easy. Oklahoma probably gets in cuz it avenges their only loss and won the title. 

So the real question comes down to do you take an undefeated Notre Dame with no championship and beat both Michigan and Northwestern. Or do you take tOSU who lost to Purdue but also beat Michigan and Northwestern and also won their championship. 

That purdue loss though is pretty inexcusable. But Notre Dame should have to play in a championship game
  • I'd say ND is in with Clemson and Bama.  The debate is between OU, tOSU, and UGA.

IMHO, it aught to be OU.

My prediction - committee picks UGA.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    UCF deserves that 4th spot.  Christ they’re 25-0. 
    rhcoop
  • I stopped watching college football altogether this year, mostly because I never had a team either (grew up in New England, lived in North Carolina and prefer college bball), and then this year with the Ohio State and Maryland shit decided I had no interest in spending my Saturdays watching it.

/End rant

Anyway... Checks after conference championship week.

Yup, Alabama is gonna win again. Ok.
  • Unbeaten Notre Dame is the committee’s easiest decision. Possibly before even Alabama. 
    cdrive
    Unbeaten Notre Dame is the committee’s easiest decision. Possibly before even Alabama. 
    ND will basically be a bye week game for Clemson.  They have no business being in here. This will be just like when Bama ran them over 7-8 years ago.

They need to get into a conference and have to play a set schedule and a conference title game. They just aren't anywhere on the same level as Clemson or Bama.  Maybe OU, but I bet they would run them out of the stadium. 

The committee must REALLY want to see a Bama/Clemson rematch.  ND should have been the 4th seed, but I guess the committee has more faith in Bama handling OU and they are protecting Clemson with that seeding. 
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited December 4
    Georgia beating Alabama would have been fun. Likely would have had a Clemson-ND-Bama-Georgia foursome, which would likely have accelerated the move to an 8 team playoff (Hello, every Big 5 champ and UCF!). Alas, we get our fairly obvious four. Eight seems inevitable, though. And when we get there, I hope that's where it stops.
    tom_grhcoop
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Notre Dame all the way! 
    Hatorianrhcoop
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    If they put in a two loss Georgia team then the message to other schools is it doesn't matter what you do and you already have to be in a power conference to be considered. If you're the kind of person who thinks SEC teams should get that much extra consideration, just consider the SEC title game the championship. Having the same game again on a national stage is too redundant when there are 120 or whatever teams trying to get a spot.
    cdrive
  • jluzania said:
    Georgia beating Alabama would have been fun. Likely would have had a Clemson-ND-Bama-Georgia foursome, which would likely have accelerated the move to an 8 team playoff (Hello, every Big 5 champ and UCF!). Alas, we get our fairly obvious four. Eight seems inevitable, though. And when we get there, I hope that's where it stops.

Agree we need another year with absolute chaos in order to 8 (get every big 5 champ).  It sucks to be tOSU or UDub this year.
    How many people on here believe that Meyer would have retired if his team was in the playoffs?

He's been setting this up all year with his "health" concerns and he's running from all the corruption that is going on at OSU just like he did at FLA.

He'll the the HC at GB or Cleveland very soon.  

Mark it down. 
  • Re Meyer:

My rule - if Dick Vitale loves him/her, there is a 51% chance the person in question is an entitled prick.  Meyer, Pitino, Coach K., etc.