Comments

• kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Although it could be possible Disney upped the licensing fee to not make it worth it for Netflix to keep it in preparation for its own streaming service and put it on there. Or I could just be in denial. 
  • I guess the writing is on the wall for all of them.  I think Daredvil 3rd season was the best Netflix Marvel show I'd seen.  I'll be sad when the Punisher goes, Bernthal was an excellent Punisher.  
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, that leaves us with Jessica Jones and The Punisher. Their days have to be numbered. 
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    That's disappointing, though hopefully this could open up the possibility of Daredevil showing up in a Spider-Man film.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited November 30
    I don't think Netflix wants to be carrying water for Disney. They're gunning for Disney, what with Disney's streaming service approaching.
    gguenotFlukes
    I guess I can't see any reason why these shows couldn't find a new home with Disney's streaming service. They have been cast and such, it sort of seems like a no-brainer as long as Disney finds it profitable to produce new seasons.
  • I guess I can't see any reason why these shows couldn't find a new home with Disney's streaming service. They have been cast and such, it sort of seems like a no-brainer as long as Disney finds it profitable to produce new seasons.
    Sounds unlikely:

Okay, well so much for that. Oh well. 
    Far be it from me to question Sepinwall's knowledge, but they "don't get along" and would rather be out of a job? Sounds like negotiation tactics to me. Let the fans scream for a while how much they love the show(s). Maybe even Netflix will take them back. (They won't.)
    Travis
  • JaimieT said:
    Far be it from me to question Sepinwall's knowledge, but they "don't get along" and would rather be out of a job? Sounds like negotiation tactics to me. Let the fans scream for a while how much they love the show(s). Maybe even Netflix will take them back. (They won't.)

You would be surprised how petty entertainment execs are even to the extent of costing money. They are very protective of "their baby" and when they inherit projects they usually kill them as soon as they can. I saw recently that since Les Moonves got caught with his pants down that Star Trek Discovery is in trouble because that was his project.

One of my favorite shows Babylon 5, which I would put in my top 3 shows ever, after the first season got taken over by Warner Bros in a buyout of the PTEN network and they tried to kill it every season afterward. 25 years later they are still being petty keeping it locked away from any restoration and use, only recently allowed it to be streamed but in a crappy low definition transfer. They could get a high definition 4:3 transfer for next to nothing and they won't. The creator, who tweets constantly with fans, says it's all due to Warner execs who still hold a grudge and will not sell it but won't let it be used, developed, etc. 
    FlukesTravis
  • Definitely bummed me out seeing this news but deep down I knew it was coming.  Netflix is clearly jumping ship from the Marvel TV side of things.  These series were far from perfect but they were extremely entertaining even during the bad parts of it in my opinion.  The one I'm most upset about is Punisher.  Bernthal absolutely killed it as Frank Castle and after his performance I can't see anyone else playing that role better than him.  
    Travis
    CapeGabe said:
    JaimieT said:

You would be surprised how petty entertainment execs are even to the extent of costing money. They are very protective of "their baby" and when they inherit projects they usually kill them as soon as they can. I saw recently that since Les Moonves got caught with his pants down that Star Trek Discovery is in trouble because that was his project.

One of my favorite shows Babylon 5, which I would put in my top 3 shows ever, after the first season got taken over by Warner Bros in a buyout of the PTEN network and they tried to kill it every season afterward. 25 years later they are still being petty keeping it locked away from any restoration and use, only recently allowed it to be streamed but in a crappy low definition transfer. They could get a high definition 4:3 transfer for next to nothing and they won't. The creator, who tweets constantly with fans, says it's all due to Warner execs who still hold a grudge and will not sell it but won't let it be used, developed, etc. 

Yeah that could definitely be the case. The Netflix properties are seen as black sheep.
    Travis
  • kevinrileskevinriles New Jersey
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/11/30/the-real-reasons-netflix-is-cancelling-their-marvel-shows/amp/

this is article pretty much sums it up. Disney+ is hbo-ing netflix. If you think I’m gonna subscribe to Disney subscription service for god damn “coco” and “Thor ragnarok” they are out their mind... 
    Kate23mjmullady
    Disney+ will be huge. Live action Star Wars show(s), anyone? Not to mention Marvel shows.
  • https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/11/30/the-real-reasons-netflix-is-cancelling-their-marvel-shows/amp/

this is article pretty much sums it up. Disney+ is hbo-ing netflix. If you think I’m gonna subscribe to Disney subscription service for god damn “coco” and “Thor ragnarok” they are out their mind... 
    That's where I'm at.  I'm sure it's still financially viable for Disney, and maybe the shows will still be good quality or better, but I guarantee they won't get the same kind of mainstream attention that the netflix shows did because they're just naturally going to have fewer subscribers.  More people will still be watching The Office on netflix than whatever Disney produces for their platform.
  • JaimieT said:
    Disney+ will be huge. Live action Star Wars show(s), anyone? Not to mention Marvel shows.
    Define "huge," because plenty of Marvel shows outside of Netflix have failed or garnered very little attention, and NOBODY cares about _________ (whatever that rogue one character getting a spinoff show is named).
    edited December 2
    ken hale said:
    JaimieT said:
    Define "huge," because plenty of Marvel shows outside of Netflix have failed or garnered very little attention, and NOBODY cares about _________ (whatever that rogue one character getting a spinoff show is named).

Huge = most of the Marvel fan boys and Star Wars fan boys will be subscribed to it gladly. This is not to mention the moms who'll get it for its kid content and whatever the fuck kind of hysterics my demo will go through if they ever do anything new with Renaissance Disney princesses. Nope, Marvel fan boys and Star Wars fan boys are plentiful enough to make it huge, and that will happen because Disney has mounds of cash to throw at this, the motivation to throw cash at this (their DVD sales are dying), and the track record to make some of the best entertainment in existence today.

You're imagining Disney has shown their cards. You're imagining Disney will be playing Netflix's game. This is Disney. Disney doesn't play by anyone's fucking rules. Netflix is terrified. I'm right about this.
    I realize I've been steeped in this news and maybe there are angles you aren't aware of...

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/disney-streaming-service-netflix-coming-soon
  • @JaimieT is right. They're gonna make a shit-ton of money just from households with young kids. And add to that all the Marvel and Star Wars fans that will subscribe.
    JaimieT
    I really don't want it to sound like an "I'm right, you're wrong" thing... I just wanted to stress that this is beyond my normal levels of conviction lol. People can think what they want; it's cool.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:

You're imagining Disney has shown their cards. You're imagining Disney will be playing Netflix's game. This is Disney. Disney doesn't play by anyone's fucking rules. Netflix is terrified. I'm right about this.
    Is anyone else terrified of @JaimieT right now?  *peeks between fingers*
    Reni
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

@JaimieT doesn't play by anyone's fucking rules.
    DoubleA_Rongguenot
  • do i have to watch all of the defenders stuff to understand the ploof season 3?
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

@JaimieT doesn't play by anyone's fucking rules.

On a serious and off-topic note, I've had a few times I've felt right this month but I didn't express it because I didn't want to rock the boat, and with men, it is something that sends alarms off in my brain as "threatening" and ergo "uncool" behavior based on past experiences. And I've held myself back, been "cool" and "maybe wrong" and twice now it's turned out badly and I regretted not being more vocal. Some of these were work situations and I'm being paid for my expertise. So anyway, this isn't one of those situations that could result in failure but I felt the rightness just as strongly. But I did come back and was nice and "maybe wrong" about my rightness because Jesus Christ I'm not a cunt.
    Takagguenot
  • I stopped Daredevil Season 2 like 3 episodes past the end of the Punisher arc, didn't watch the Defenders, and I was fine.

do i have to watch all of the defenders stuff to understand the ploof season 3?

rajannaran
  • edited December 4
    Nah, I'm still skeptical of the "huge" success potential of Disney's streaming service.  At the very least, I'd wager heavily that its potential is limited and won't show sustained growth like netflix's subscriber base has.

I'd say Disney's service caps out around 50-75 million subscribers, worldwide.  As far as netflix being "scared," I find it impossible to believe this puts a dent in their subscribers.

Not to belabor an argument, and it’s far from an exact science, but check the comments under this recent puff-piece. Alot more “nope” than breathless anticipation. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/disney-disneyplus-streaming-service-name-release-date-shows-movies-to-expect/

• I had a nightmare last night. A horrific dream where someone kept chasing me speaking in an aggressive tone about something they were very knowledgeable in. They kept starting their sentences the same way for emphasis. They kept acting in a way that humans with wide ranges of emotion and feelings act. They kept making excellent points. Finally, when this monster reached me and turned me around it was.... @JaimieT !!!! she leaned in an whispered, "I don't play by anyone's rules". 

;) 
    JaimieT
  • It will be interesting to see how the Disney streaming service is received. It's not like every parent will feel pressure to get it because their 4 year old is going to demand it on their cell phone because their friends are all posting on Facebook that they all have it. Or are they? I just don't know anymore.

If they are putting all of their hope into Star Wars and Marvel fan boys then they better get everything right or we'll see for the first time a web service set on fire and burned to the ground. Or will they? I just don't know anymore.
    edited December 4
    gguenot said:
    I had a nightmare last night. A horrific dream where someone kept chasing me speaking in an aggressive tone about something they were very knowledgeable in. They kept starting their sentences the same way for emphasis. They kept acting in a way that humans with wide ranges of emotion and feelings act. They kept making excellent points. Finally, when this monster reached me and turned me around it was.... @JaimieT !!!! she leaned in an whispered, "I don't play by anyone's rules". 

;) 

When I was a kid, I had this dream that I was invisible and fucking with someone's house but they couldn't see me to grab me (they kept grabbing air). Eventually I went outside and flew up and hid on a cloud, Peter-Pan style, and I heard someone walk up to them and say, "Oh, who was that? That was Jaimie. She does what she wants." It was like the best-feeling dream ever.

Sincerely,
    Someone who had very controlling parents
    ken hale said:
    Nah, I'm still skeptical of the "huge" success potential of Disney's streaming service.  At the very least, I'd wager heavily that its potential is limited and won't show sustained growth like netflix's subscriber base has.

I'd say Disney's service caps out around 50-75 million subscribers, worldwide.  As far as netflix being "scared," I find it impossible to believe this puts a dent in their subscribers.

Not to belabor an argument, and it’s far from an exact science, but check the comments under this recent puff-piece. Alot more “nope” than breathless anticipation. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/disney-disneyplus-streaming-service-name-release-date-shows-movies-to-expect/

You could be right.

I don't say Netflix is scared because they definitely are going to lose subscribers. I'm just saying Netflix is definitely scared.

People often can't foresee what they'll want or need.
    ken hale