Best TV Shows of 2018

MrXMrX CO
edited December 1 in Other TV
It's getting to be that time of year where top ten lists start popping up. Figure I'd get a thread started to see what folks favorite shows of the year were. Way too many to watch so especially interested to see what shows I missed that I should catch up on.

I couldn't come up with a definitive ranking so here are my top ten(ish) sorted into "tiers".

EDIT: I forgot The Deuce ... It was good this year, adding to tier 2.

Tier 1
The Expanse
The Americans
Atlanta
Killing Eve
The Good Place

Tier 2
Barry
Homecoming
Succession
BoJack Horseman
The Deuce

Tier 3

Great British Baking Show
Sharp Objects
Better Call Saul
ChinaskiDummyKate23

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    nice list @MrX.

Barry was easily 'tier 1' for me in 2018.
    MrXNoel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m still catching up on a lot of things but for me, Atlanta, Barry and Big Mouth were my favorite comedies. In that order.
    MrX
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 30
    This Is Us - season 3 has been spectacular.  There's been some nice development of the Kevin character, and I love his storyline of tracing his father's history with the Vietnam War and his presumed-KIA uncle Nick.  

***Tied with TIU for my fav (because I couldn't pick which one I liked best of the three):  The Terror and Sharp Objects
    MrXElisa
  • Chinaski said:
    nice list @MrX.

Barry was easily 'tier 1' for me in 2018.
    yea I was going back and forth on that. For me I ended up putting in the Good Place just because it's my reliable beacon of joy on tv, but Barry was really goddamn good.
  • Michelle said:
    This Is Us - season 3 has been spectacular.  There's been some nice development of the Kevin character, and I love his storyline of tracing his father's history with the Vietnam War and his presumed-KIA uncle Nick.  

***Tied with TIU for my fav (because I couldn't pick which one I liked best of the three):  The Terror and Sharp Objects

I really need to watch The Terror. That's been on my backlog for a while now.
    MichelleElisa
    MrX said:
    Michelle said:

I really need to watch The Terror. That's been on my backlog for a while now.
    SO GOOD and the guys did a great podcast on it as well.  
    Elisa
    Adding The Handmaid's Tale - season 2 to my list.
    Elisa
  • edited December 1
    I honestly haven't watched a ton of different shows. This is my top five that isn't in order, except for number one:

Top Five Dramas:
    -The Deuce
    -Sharp Objects
    -The Handmaids Tale
    -Better Call Saul
    -Barry (I think this is supposed to be a comedy, but I think of it as drama)

Notable omissions: The Expanse (Still on season two, but enjoying and might put on list if I watch before the end of year), Westworld (Thought it sucked), Wild Wild Country (It was great and definitely should go somewhere), Sorry for your Loss (It looks up my ally, but haven't seen it yet)

Top Five Comedies:
    -Atlanta
    -It's Always Sunny
    -The Good Place
    -Silicon Valley
    -Crashing Last Week Tonight (Not sure how I forgot this one)

Notable omissions: Bojack Horseman (I just can't get past season one), Big Mouth (can't get past episode 1), Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Probably would go on the list, but haven't seen new season)

Elisa
  • I don’t know how The Terror isn’t on here. Jared Harris is the man. I haven’t seen the Crown, but his work in the Terror exceeds his work in Mad Men and The Expanse. It was a very good show, too.

I hope @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard do not forget him or the series when the Baldies roll around. 
    MichelleElisa
  • The Terror, Succession, the Expanse and Barry all belong in Tier 1 for me.  
    rkcrawfMrXElisa
  • edited December 1
    I don't watch too much TV, but The Expanse and Barry were two standout shows for me this year. 

Especially Barry. That show caught me totally off guard. Whether it be the interesting premise, the perfect fusion of dark comedy & drama, or the interesting (and often hilarious) subversion of tropes, this show was great.

NoHo Hank and Goran were two of my favorites. Also, I've definitely known guys who were the spitting image of Taylor (the military dude-bro).

And at the center of it all is Bill Hader, whom I've never seen in a role like this. He held it down very well and had surprisingly few comedic moments, most of which were left to the zany side characters. Anyway, this definitely made me respect him more as an actor and creator, as well as all of the faceless writers/producers/ etc. who were involved with this show.
    Kate23MrXElisa
  • In my top 5 with some previously mentioned,  Patriot.
  • The walking dead...
    ElisaMrXdjcaudle01
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    In no particular order:

The Expanse
    The Americans
    Killing Eve
    The Terror
    The Alienist 
    Vida
    One Day at A Time 
    Maniac 
    Pose
    The Crown 
    La Casa Del papel aka money heist 

MichelleMrX
  • Am I the only one that liked Castle Rock, even if you didn’t like it I think episode 7 has to considered in the top 5 greatest episodes of all time along with The Leftovers “International Assassin” 

For anyone who hasn’t seen Castle Rock, Episode 7 “The Queen” is as close to “International Assassin” as any episode you’ll ever see, the lead up during the first 6 episodes isn’t as enjoyable as The Leftovers season 2 (but then again that’s potentially the greatest season of tv ever lol)