Rome and Spartacus - precursors to Game of Thrones

Have been missing my annual Thrones fix. Rome and Spartacus are two shows that I miss.  They both share the same DNA as GoT (blood, violence, religion, political intrigue, gratuitous nudity, orgies, swords, LGBTQ chars, dong shots) and are precursors to Thrones. While they are not films, they have the same look/budget/gravitas. 

1. Rome: couldn’t find any commissioned podcasts on it. Damn fine HBO show that ended too early. It shares some of the same cast as GoT (Hinds, Varma, Menzies). Watching the pilot and E2 now, there are several scenes that are echoed in Thrones. 

2. Spartacus (hear me out): This might be a slog for some. The pilot is odd and low budget. It’s a slow build and some of the best stuff is toward the end of S1. The prequel season is excellent and so are the latter seasons with Liam McIntyre's replacement of Andy Whitfield.

While I like “high fantasy” and Thrones, these shows harken back to early GoT. They bring the gritty realism of the pre-modern age. I feel like they never quite got their due in the mainstream. 

Any fans of either show out there??

JaimieT

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I love Rome and thought it was wonderful.  I even enjoyed Mark Antony and Cleopatra even tho it was rushed. 

I tried Spartacus but it was too campy and kinda outrageous.  Should I skip season 1 and just jump into S2 forward and the prequel?
  • Rome was great.

I wanted to like Spartacus but the slo mo blood drove me crazy. 
    Elisa
  • Echoing others, Rome was great but Spartacus was unwatchable.
    Elisa
  • Elisa said:
    I love Rome and thought it was wonderful.  I even enjoyed Mark Antony and Cleopatra even tho it was rushed. 

I tried Spartacus but it was too campy and kinda outrageous.  Should I skip season 1 and just jump into S2 forward and the prequel?
    I had to get to the back half of S1 before the quality picks up. The other 3 seasons are much better. Better dialogue, more well-rounded characters, and fewer cheesy effects. I suggest doing the prequel season before going to S2.

I understand and why people wrote it off quickly, but it’s a show that evolved. I also understand if people just don’t care for it. It’s def a tier below Rome.  I binged it after it originally aired and thought it was well worth it. 
    Elisa
  • I was amazed at Rome, it seemed both authentic and relevant. 
    Elisarkcrawf
  • Guys, you really should tough it out with the first few episodes of Spartacus. All the slo-mo and CGI blood made me want to quit every minute. But after a while they tone it down a lot. And it is so worth it! It's been a few years since my last rewatch but I still think about the show and the characters fairly often.

I'm the other way around, I couldn't get into Rome, I tried twice :(
    rkcrawf
  • Reni said:
    Guys, you really should tough it out with the first few episodes of Spartacus. All the slo-mo and CGI blood made me want to quit every minute. But after a while they tone it down a lot. And it is so worth it! It's been a few years since my last rewatch but I still think about the show and the characters fairly often.

I'm the other way around, I couldn't get into Rome, I tried twice :(
    Curious about Rome...what didn't you like about it?

I had not given Spartacus a thought until I saw the Expanse. Nick Tarabay as Cotyar...I'm like that's fucking Ashur! I think it may be Lucy Lawless' best work. 
  • @rkcrawf It's not that I disliked anything about Rome specifically. I just somehow went from "I don't feel like watching the next episode right now, maybe later" to "I don't feel like watching the next episode ever". I got busy or had fresh/more recent stuff to watch, and eventually enough time had passed that the initial interest just wore off. Same thing happened on the second try.

I don't know why Spartacus stuck with me; it's really weird. I'm not a very visual person, I'm much more sensitive to sounds (to the point where most of the time I recognize people/actors by their voice and not their face), yet somehow a lot of scenes from Spartacus are very vividly engraved into my brain.
    I didn't trust Cotyar for the longest time because every role I've seen Tarabay in, he was always an untrustworthy piece of shit lol.