The Orville - Season 2

JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
edited December 2018 in Other TV
gET hYPE!!!!

14 episodes biiiiiiiiitch!!!

I'm really excited for why Alara is getting replaced and who is replacing her. Apparently there's a 2-parter midseason and I bet they'll do it then. Also Marina Sirtis this season!

I was rewatching season 1 and still need to finish. The Rob Lowe episode is infinitely rewatchable and might be one of my favorites? I know it's ridiculous but it's just so fun. It's a nice twist on the inevitable Star Trek season 1 "everyone gets sexy" episode.

What's your favorite episode? What are you looking forward to?

FlukesMattyWeavesalexander.klassen

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2018
    Obligatory rewatch! I think this scene is a good indication of where the humor will go, to be more situational. Maybe that's why I like this episode.

MattyWeaves
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I'm all in on this show. I never got a chance to watch Star Trek growing up, and I jumped on this when it came out. I'm glad I made the time investment because I really love good science fiction, and the cast is awesome as a nice bonus.
    JaimieT
  • I'm excited for sure, What was Jim and Aron's take, did they like the show or have they seen it?
    edited December 2018
    adobo1148 said:
    I'm excited for sure, What was Jim and Aron's take, did they like the show or have they seen it?

No, they don't want to watch it. I'm not convinced even if they wanted to watch it they would like it. They seem pretty judgmental of it right out the gate.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    It's had been a while since there was a new show that I looked forward to seeing each week. The Orville was appointment TV for me in season one and I was never disappointed. 

It's a love letter to TNG. Sometimes overly silly, but hell so was TNG.
    JaimieT
  • STD is crap. Counting the days till The Orville is back on.

What a strange world we live in.
    JaimieT

1. Robert Picardo again!

2. OMG Bortus's girl is all grown up, what's her name, I don't know, ahhhh!!!!!!
    What a fantastic episode! To start season 2 with 1 hour of intra-ship character drama... I'm in heaven. I love the new teacher character.
  • edited December 2018
    Great episode. Best sci-fi show on television.

STD can suck a dick :smiley:
    JaimieT
  • good sci-fi show for the family  :)

Wife loved the 'drive-by' scene
    7-yr-old loved it because toilet humor

fun for all!

@redlancer I really like them addressing alien biological differences... and of course jokes will arise, but overall the crew was professional about it. Good stuff.
  • THE GREAT RELEASE I suppose if I emptied my bladder once a year, I’d make it a celebration, more than a birthday probably.
    Exactly. I would have been annoyed if it hadn't had some cultural/spiritual significance. The closest allegory I can think of for humans is losing baby teeth.
  • Kinda curious about the biology. The only thing I can think is that their bodies are super efficient, and they don’t have to release fluid in a human manner, but take in excess fluid annually to flush toxins out. 
  • gjulleen said:
    Kinda curious about the biology. The only thing I can think is that their bodies are super efficient, and they don’t have to release fluid in a human manner, but take in excess fluid annually to flush toxins out. 
    Bortas’s race can derive nutrients from anything which is why he can eat a plate or glass. Even if there was a toxic build up Moclans probably derive nutrition from those toxins.
    adobo1148 said:
    gjulleen said:
    Kinda curious about the biology. The only thing I can think is that their bodies are super efficient, and they don’t have to release fluid in a human manner, but take in excess fluid annually to flush toxins out. 
    Bortas’s race can derive nutrients from anything which is why he can eat a plate or glass. Even if there was a toxic build up Moclans probably derive nutrition from those toxins.

It's hard to imagine the biology that would lead to some liquid needing to be expelled once a year. It just reminds me of pon farr though. Some alien stuff you just take on faith?
    edited January 3
    edited January 3
    I watched the last episode and it was great! I guess I'm the rare person who likes and looks forward to both Discovery and The Orville. 
    edited January 3
    edited January 3
    Edit: Suffice it to say that I'm OK with other people liking The Orville and not liking Disco. I like both which should, I think, also be OK.
    I'm not talking about DISCO on this thread, and I also won't be saying how much I love The Orville on the DISCO S2 thread. 
    JaimieT said:
    I'm not talking about DISCO on this thread, and I also won't be saying how much I love The Orville on the DISCO S2 thread. 
    I took the video to be an invitation to that discussion. I am happy to respect the sanctity of the Orville thread.
    I'm just explaining my stance now. 
    As in, do what you want. 
  • Well this thread took a weird turn. 

In any event, I loved season one (the one where they interacted with the planet that appeared every thousand years or whatever the timeline one was great and probably my favorite, although the social media criminal voting one was also pretty good, as was the alien zoo one), and am excited to binge all the ones that are out now this weekend.

I'd describe myself as a casual trek fan, I've seen all of TNG and not much else. I think The Orville has managed to strike a great balance between humor and action/drama, in the same way that good light-hearted action movies do. 
    Flukes
  • Original Series fan, here.

Genuinely watched this accidentally. Thought it would be dumb. Actually liked it.
    Flukes
  • Just finished the first 2 episodes. 2 main thoughts.

1 - This show is still good.

2 - Bortus is the worst character. 
    Flukeslemoncakes
  • Episode two was from season one. They had to put it in somewhere. Overall not bad but not great. On to the next adventure!
    Flukesasmallcat
    They had to put it in somewhere. 
    And the sooner the better, so it's a good thing they got it in right away. Even though the show is episodic, it did feel a little like this one was out of order as there was no hint of last episode's developments in Kelly and Ed's relationship.

I find myself mentally checking if today is Orville day as I go about my week. That's a pretty good indication that I'm still really enjoying it.
    asmallcat