Holiday Music!

Sidestepping "Baby It's Cold Outside", what are your favorite holiday songs?  I have a special place in my heart for old 40s Christmas songs, and have The Andrews Sisters turned up in my office right now (I'm the only one who works in this office area, save for the few hours my boss is here occasionally).  

Comments

• russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited December 2018
    Behold the end all beat all best holiday song.

kingbee67
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2018
    I'm a big fan of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

It's low expectations that I can meet.

It's stating that Christmas is about friends, no mention of the obligatory family. Again, low expectations.

I also appreciate the recognition that we all might die in the next year.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2018
    I’m a bit of a grinch about most Christmas music. Of course my favourite is Fairytale in New York (as befitting a cranky Gen Xer). I’m also partial to the Matt Turk version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen from the Fred Claus soundtrack, and the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan version of the same song. 
    DaveyMacTravis
  • I LOVE Children Go, particularly this version (Ricky Skaggs of all people)

I am completely non-religious, but man do I love religious Christmas songs for some reason. 

In terms of classics, you can't beat It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year. 

Finally, I think this is an appropriate place to re-tell the fact that I didn't realize "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" was about the dad being dressed as Santa and not mom having a holiday affair until I was like 27. 
  • "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is easily my favourite. It always gets me in that happy-sad feeling, although as I get older it's less hopeful and more bittersweet. Weirdly, I have a visceral dislike of versions with the original lyrics ("muddle through some how" instead of "hang a shining star..."). Probably, because I grew up on this version, and it reminds me of decorating the tree with my family:

JaimieT
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Back in my church days, I always loved singing Angels We Have Heard on High. It's obviously all about that soaring chorus with the Gloria bits.
    russkellyJaimieT
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    Never seen this video before, but I've loved this song since childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1uJPGRfO5Y

My favorite more traditional song is O Holy Night (even though I'm not a religious person).  For some reason it always makes me feel really at peace.  I really enjoy this version sung by Lea Michele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_MTYZL8_g

• russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Back in my church days, I always loved singing Angels We Have Heard on High. It's obviously all about that soaring chorus with the Gloria bits.
    I'm a sucker for all the traditional church songs. O Come Emanuel is probably my favorite. Oh Holy Night is awesome, too.
    Murderbear
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.

Image result for Los Straitjackets YuletideSurf rock Christmas

Image result for frank sinatra christmasClassic Christmas

• kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Thank God Apple creates its own Christmas playlist so I don't have to do any actual work putting one together.
    Kate23
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Another great oldie. It's not necessarily Christmasy, but I guess is considered wintery?

Another favorite. :)

edited December 2018
    Frank and Dean :heart:

•  It always gets me in that happy-sad feeling, although as I get older it's less hopeful and more bittersweet. 
    That's my Exact sweet spot for my holiday music, so on my playlist are k.d. lang's version of "Hallelujah," and Rufus Wainwright's version of "Across the Universe." 
    johnnytruant
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Run DMC - Christmas in Hollies
    russkellyMichelleDaveyMac
  • I don't ever see The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's A Fairytale of New York getting displaced from my #1 Christmas song.

In the top 5 below that:
    X'Mas Time (It Sure Doesn't Feel Like) by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You by Billy Squire on MTV
    All Alone At Christmas by Darlene Love
    Christmas Auld Lang Syne by Bobby Darin
    Mr. Heatmiser by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Great Christmas Albums:
    Harry Connick Jr's first one
    Brain Setzer's Orchrestra

I'll stop because I'll just end up listing about 100 songs. I really like listening to them and gets me in the mood of the season. Surprisingly as an atheist I really love a lot of the religious Christmas songs too.
  • Back in my church days, I always loved singing Angels We Have Heard on High. It's obviously all about that soaring chorus with the Gloria bits.
    I love this version. Has an instrumental beginning and choral end:

Murderbear
    The best

And of course probably the most iconic of the modern time

• Yeah, pretty crazy that she managed to crack into Christmas song canon with that as the vast majority of "new" songs are forgotten within a year. 
  • kuman07 said:
    And of course probably the most iconic of the modern time

asmallcat said:
    Yeah, pretty crazy that she managed to crack into Christmas song canon with that as the vast majority of "new" songs are forgotten within a year. 
    Here's a good explanation of how that song manages to do just that.

asmallcat
  • Wow I was just going to say it's just in the big sound tradition of Spector/Ronettes/Darlene Love, and who doesn't get happy with that, but watched the Vox thing first...that's a much better explanation lol. 
  • The Christmas record of record for me for the bulk of my life has been the Muppets and John Denver one. I particularly love the Electric Mayhem version of Little Saint Nick featuring Animal's "Run run reindeer!"

Last year we got super into Sia's record and that has taken over the top in my book. Full of great tunes, but my clear favorite is Puppies are Forever:

I've also been digging Sufjan Stevens stuff. I had previously thought the whole thing (he had a holiday record and then went on to release a 4 disc set of them later) felt like too much and perhaps a little phoned in at times, but it's hitting my ears much more properly this year. In fact, I honestly don't know how I arrived at my previous conclusion.

Chinaski
    CapeGabe said:
    Brain Setzer's Orchrestra
    So much yes to Brian Setzer Orchestra’s Christmas albums. :star: :heart:
    CapeGabe
    One of my favorites. Really gets me in the Christmas spirit 

https://youtu.be/RTtc2pM1boE
    Is anyone else a fan of The Nutcracker?  I totally love it, especially the second act and these two performances in particular.  When I hear them, my heart swells up about three times its size and I get a huge smile on my face.  This is Christmas to me.  :heart:

JaimieTcdrive
    Yes @Michelle -- seeing it on Friday and I CAN'T WAIT. I love the music so much.

Michelle
    I finally found an annoying/good Christmas album that I can play until I'm dead. Thanks @majjam0770

William Shatner's Shatner Claus.

I'm dying right now it's sooooooooooooo perfect. My brain is on fire. I am unworthy.
    ChinaskiMichelle