Holiday Movies!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
we discussed holiday music, how about movies? what are your top 3 holiday movies?
TravisDeeMichelle

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2018
    1. The Ref 
    2. the Nightmare Before Christmas 
    3. A Christmas Story

I am also partial to those old timey classics like Miracle On 34th Street and Christmas In Connecticut, because I grew up watching them on TV in ye olden dayes. 

Edit: Wait, does Meet Me In St Louis count as a Christmas movie? If so, that’s my #3.

CapeGabeTravisChinaski
  • Finaly, someone mentions The Ref on one of these lists. Haven't watched it since Spacey was revealed to be, well you know. I wonder how that will affect a rewatch. 
    TravisChinaskiDee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2018
    1. Die Hard (I count it, I get it if others don't)
    2. Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas
    3. Elf
    Honorable mention: Home Alone

I need to rewatch Home for the Holidays. It's been too long to really rate it here, but I remember loving it and I'm thinking that if I had seen it more recently than ~15 years ago it might crack the top 3 or at least serve as an alternate for a Die Hard excluded list. 

Also, I've done a lot more with Christmas themed episodes than movies in more recent years. The Community Christmas episode with the Glee club that A.Ron mentioned during lunch is AMAZING! Has to be my favorite. 

EDIT: How did I forget the Nightmare Before Christmas?! Great pick! Also, nicely done with the Ref. Good flick. I haven't seen it in too many years to add it to a list, but I remember liking it a lot (kind of like Home for the Holidays).
    ChinaskiDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    1. The Ref 
    3. A Christmas Story

I am also partial to those old timey classics like Miracle On 34th Street and Christmas In Connecticut, because I grew up watching them on TV in ye olden dayes. 

Edit: Wait, does Meet Me In St Louis count as a Christmas movie? If so, that’s my #3.

i've never heard of The Ref, but based off your #2 & 3 (2 of my all-time favs) i'll def check out.
    DeeTravis
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    So many good ones, I would say:
    1. Home Alone
    2. Christmas Vacation
    3. Jingle All the Way

And I am definitely ready to admit there are better critically acclaimed movies but there are nostalgia factors that were considered. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm in love with the oldies.  In no particular order:
    1. White Christmas
    2. It's a Wonderful Life
    3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947 original)

I also still love the old Rankin-Bass stop motion animated films of the 60s - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus, etc.  
  • Home Alone(1&2)
    Christmas Vacation
    Harry Potter 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    1. The Ref 
    3. A Christmas Story

i've never heard of The Ref, but based off your #2 & 3 (2 of my all-time favs) i'll def check out.
    Kevin Spacey is in it, so it’s kinda tainted, but still really good. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    1 It’s a Wonderful Life
    2 Home Alone
    3 National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
  • 1. It's a Wonderful Life
    2. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
    3. The Ref
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    1. It's a Wonderful Life
    2. Family Stone
    3. Love Actually/The Holiday

I had to cheat on the last one, as those four are required viewing each year. Other favorites that we sort of skip and rotate; A Christmas Story, The Shop Around the Corner, Home Alone 1 & 2, The Grinch, and Christmas Vacation.

And just because, I have a whole other list for Christmas Horror, but usually Krampus, Silent Night Deadly Night, Black Christmas, Christmas Evil, and Rare Exports.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    1. Scrooge (1970) with Albert Finney (we always watch this every year on Christmas eve)
    2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    3 Scrooged (Bill Murray)
    4. Gremlins

as far as cartoons go. The must watches in the Fern home are:

1. A Garfield Christmas (still makes me tear up)
    2. A Mickeys Christmas Carol (1983)
    3. Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer
    Chinaski
  • Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)

https://youtu.be/kzFDcjesuVs

Anyone? Anyone?

This would make an amazing live watch.
    hisdudeness915
  • I’m with you @JoshuaHeter  Jon Lithgow cracks me up in that movie. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @FernNYC17 - lovin' your list!
    FernNYC17
  • skelterskelter Louisville, KY
    Am I alone in thinking Scrooged (1988) is overrated? I never saw it in the past, but just watched and I was disappointed...A few good Murray lines but nothing that memorable..

• MichelleMichelle California
    I have the Britbox streaming channel on my Roku, and am enjoying their 'Britmas' programming.  Not all of it is Christmas related though - for instance, right now I'm watching 'Mary Berry's Country House Secrets", where she travels to lavish stately historical manors, cooks meals, & educates us about the history of the home as well as the countryside it sits in.  

@skelter no, you're not alone in that. It's always been one of my least-favorite holiday movies.
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Krampus > everything else
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Home Alone
    Scrooged
    santa Claus: The Movie

I also do enjoy Attenborough in Miracle on 34th. Don't particularly like the movie other than his bits though haha.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited December 2018
    Currently watching all the cartoon classics

Michelle
  • skelter said:
    Am I alone in thinking Scrooged (1988) is overrated? I never saw it in the past, but just watched and I was disappointed...A few good Murray lines but nothing that memorable..

Claire is just so dang cute though
  • skelter said:

Claire is just so dang cute though
    I watched it again last night and it’s still great IMO. Bobcat and Carol Kane crack me up every time.  :D