A hot dog is not a sandwich, it is a taco

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
I know, I know. I just hadn't seen or heard anyone talk about it since the controversy has reignited because of this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/12/12/a-hot-dog-is-a-taco-a-steak-is-a-salad-a-pop-tart-is-a-calzone-let-the-cube-rule-explain/?noredirect=on
Flukes

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Stop. Can’t have a taco without a tortilla. By this logic, a burger is a sandwich.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    And fried chicken is a calzone!

#Zeitgang!
    MurderbearTravis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited December 2018
    Noel said:
    Stop. Can’t have a taco without a tortilla. By this logic, a burger is a sandwich.
    What's wrong with that? It is 100% a type of sandwich. I am inclined to agree with the no taco without a tortilla but this guy's argument is all starch based, not what the actual material in question is in the situation.
    Noel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Flukes said:
    And fried chicken is a calzone!

#Zeitgang!
    Ha! Nailed it!
    mjmullady
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    a Gyro is more of a 'taco' than damn a hot dog!

i have an uneasy feeling of the direction of this thread :#
    MurderbearrusskellyMichelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I know, I know. I just hadn't seen or heard anyone talk about it since the controversy has reignited because of this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/12/12/a-hot-dog-is-a-taco-a-steak-is-a-salad-a-pop-tart-is-a-calzone-let-the-cube-rule-explain/?noredirect=on
    I just cancelled my Washington Post subscription.
    FlukesChinaskicdriveMurderbearNoelTravisMichelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2018
    Chinaski said:
    a Gyro is more of a 'taco' than damn a hot dog!

i have an uneasy feeling of the direction of this thread :#
    But a Taco Bueno Muchaco is more a gyro than a taco. The plot thickens.

ChinaskiFlukesMurderbearMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Noel said:
    What's wrong with that? It is 100% a type of sandwich. I am inclined to agree with the no taco without a tortilla but this guy's argument is all starch based, not what the actual material in question is in the situation.
    That’s fair. But no tortilla means no taco. 
    Murderbear
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Hot dogs are sandwiches. Tacos are sandwiches. Hamburgers are sandwiches. It’s all sandwiches, man!
    Travisasmallcatcdrive
    has anyone ever put pineapple on a hot dog?
    MurderbearTravisMichelleNoelcdriveFlukesAww_PHuuCk
  • So if you fold a piece of thin crust pizza to lend it structural integrity while eating it, then it becomes a taco.
    Or is a taco just a folded pizza, and therefore a hot dog is pizza by the communitive property of cuisine?
    Hot dog is pizza, sandwich is calzone, burrito is stromboli, casserole is lasagna, mac and cheese is spaghetti, everything is Italian!
    TravisMurderbearChinaskiMichelle
  • Chinaski said:
    This guy!  

(not Springsteen, me, but he has been granted POA to be my spokesman on this matter)
    ChinaskiMurderbearMichellecdrive
  • Taco= Open Faced Sandwich.
    Taco= Open Faced Sandwich.
    Tostada = Open Faced Taco
    MurderbearTravisMichelleNoel
  • Obviously hot dogs and tacos are both sandwiches. 

The real question is are pop tarts dumplings? 

"Dumpling is a broad classification for a dish that consists of pieces of dough (made from a variety of starch sources) wrapped around a filling or of dough with no filling. The dough can be based on breadflour, or potatoes, and may be filled with meatfishcheesevegetablesfruits, or sweets. Dumplings may be prepared using a variety of methods, including bakingboilingfryingsimmering, or steaming, and are found in many world cuisines." 
    Murderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    *raises hand*

It was a teriyaki dog with coleslaw, teriyaki sauce, pineapples, and french fried onions for crunch.  And it was magnificent.
    ChinaskiMurderbearTravisFlukes
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    *raises hand*

It was a teriyaki dog with coleslaw, teriyaki sauce, pineapples, and french fried onions for crunch.  And it was magnificent.
    Sounds good. I'll take two! #PineapplesOnEverything
    MichelleTravis
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    In a lot of places, tacos al pastor have little pieces of pineapple 
    ChinaskiMurderbearTravisMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    russkelly said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    *raises hand*

Sounds good. I'll take two! #PineapplesOnEverything
    It would have been a teeny bit better had it had bacon on it.  #BaconOnEverything
    MurderbearChinaskiTravis
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    In a lot of places, tacos al pastor have little pieces of pineapple 
    yup! some places sometimes put the pineapple either above or below the pastor on the rotating skewer. in this case both!

Related image
    MichelleNoelTravis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    If I get gyro meat on my pizza and then fold it as I eat it...I ask, is it really still a pizza? 
    Travis
    who's down for some Totino's Pizza Dumplings?!
    russkellyTravis
  • cdrive said:
    If I get gyro meat on my pizza and then fold it as I eat it...I ask, is it really still a pizza? 
    It's a non-sealed calzone, making it a type of taco and therefore a sandwich. 
    cdriverusskellyMurderbearChinaskiFlukes
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited December 2018
    hm
  • Is a turquoise car a Blar or a Schnee?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:

MichelleNoelMurderbearcdrivehisdudeness915LordByasmallcatTravisFlukesAww_PHuuCk
  • cdrive said:
    No dude. It's a hot dog!
    cdrive
  • As Aron would say... here's the thing: language is ultimately about usefulness. We use words and make distinctions because it is useful / helpful to do so.

Here's a word we *could* enter into the English language (if we wanted to): "Blar". A "blar" is defined as a car that is blue. Do you vote to add "blar" to the generally accepted English lexicon? Of course you don't. It serves no purpose. 

Consider the terms / phrases "hot dog", "sandwich", "taco", etc. Is it useful to distinguish between these things? I would argue that it is.... even though we can't easily (or ever) articulate the necessary and sufficient conditions of "sandwich" or "taco". 
    This! 100% this! 

I'm so glad that someone gave me an effective articulation of my "because it's a goddamn hot dog. Jeez!" argument. This is what drives me a little bit nuts (in an "I know this is completely inconsequential, but dammit I'm right" kind of way) about this debate. Sure, if we all pull out our dictionaries and parse it out the "hot dog is a sandwich" thing probably holds. Bare minimum the hamburger is a sandwich thing does, but why do we feel the need to take away the identity of something unique? Sure, a pizza is an open faced sandwich technically, but it's a pizza. I think maybe it's a bit more irksome because this bullshit is so prevalent in the music nerd community. I mean, listening to people drone on and on about (probably the most heated example) what is punk rock and what isn't will just drive you fucking nuts (I mean, if I have to sit through one more "is Fugzai punk or emo core?" argument... and I'm being 100% serious I've sat through my fair share, or where do the Talking Heads fit?). I suppose that comes down to the reverse of this problem, but it's these endless debates about trying to put things in boxes. If I go place an order, doesn't hot dog work much more effectively than "beef and or pork tube bun sandwich." Maybe that's a little straw man-ish, but is that the point of all of this? What do the "hot dogs are sandwiches" people want? Maybe that is the problem. What is the end game of these debates? Is it just mental, outer world librarian masturbation? Does it just come down to being able to say "I'm right and you suck?" Maybe that's why I get hung up on it.
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    *raises hand*

Yep. Teriyaki hot dogs with pineapple salsa are trés bon.
    TravisMichellerusskelly
    Travis said:
    What do the "hot dogs are sandwiches" people want? 

TravisAww_PHuuCkasmallcatcdriveMichelleDeeOldGriswold