SOUP!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
what's you're go to? and what's you never will go to?

p.s. don't get cute and say cereal ;)
Michelle

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2018
    I'll go.
    So this week I've been under the weather a little bit with a cold and cough.  I also for the first time this week found out that Chick Fil A has a chicken noodle soup that you can get in Large.  

This stuff has been my jam.  I did it twice this week. Another day was H-E-B chicken noodle soup which was also pretty pretty prettty good. 

Fav all time soup is probably Chinese Hot Pot where you throw a variety of stuff in hot broth.  Each time is a different journey / different experience.  Actually I just convinced my wife, didn't need much convincing, that we'll do this Christmas Day Dinner when her folks come over. Pumped.

If I had a never go to it'd most likely be cheese broccoli soup.  That stuff is almost always nasty IMO.
    ChinaskiTravisMichelleNoel
  • If me and some lobster bisque walk into the same room, only one of us comes out. 
    cdriveChinaskiTravisMichelleFreddypavlovsbellNoel
  • Oh man, my favorite thing about it getting colder is being able to add soup to my weekly menu. Also, soup > cereal. Not even close.

I'm big on cream soups. When clam chowder is good, it's tough to beat (though more often than not it isn't good). Corn chowders with chicken are also great. Some of those baked potato soups, etc. Also, if you put a good, old fashioned, high quality chicken noodle in front of me, I'll be a happy guy.
    I've been digging some of those sort of creamy veggie puree types of things lately. Asparagus, squash, etc. Good stuff.

On the never side. I'm not sure what common soup would get a never, but I'm not a big tomato soup guy. Really stuff that is based heavily in tomato taste just gets a little overwhelming in soup form. There are exceptions, but as a general rule I stay away.
    ChinaskiMichellecdrivepavlovsbell
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited December 2018
    Dummy said:
    If me and some lobster bisque walk into the same room, only one of us comes out. 
    haha with that profile pic i can totally picture Joey saying that! :D
    TravisMichelleDummy
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I make a pretty great corn and potato chowder.  Cream corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, bacon, chicken broth, a brick of fat free cream cheese, onion powder, herbes de provence, salt, and pepper.   It's perfect for cold, rainy days in.  
    Chinaskicdrivepavlovsbell
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited December 2018
    I make a pretty good tater soup - will photo my next one.

I like a good tomato bisque too.
    pavlovsbell
  • Super easy go-to weeknight soup: saute some chunks of Italian sausage (raw bulk stuff is the best) with some onions, then add chicken stock, a can of tomatoes, a couple cans of white beans, and chopped up lacinato kale, simmer 20 minutes or so, serve with some grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
    cdriveChinaskiMichellepavlovsbell
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2018
    Well, it’s summer here so it’s hard for me to think about soup, but in the winter I have two that I make all the time to take to lunch for work - a carrot and red lentil one and a vegetable and Puy lentil one. Both easy, both delicious and both filling. 

Im also partial to a good lamb and barley soup, but I don’t make it often because lamb is so fatty. 
    ChinaskiMichellepavlovsbellNoel
  • I fully expect this thread to inform me that Canadians buy soup in bags.
    cdriveDeeChinaskiDummyMichellepavlovsbellNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Travis said:

On the never side. I'm not sure what common soup would get a never, but I'm not a big tomato soup guy. Really stuff that is based heavily in tomato taste just gets a little overwhelming in soup form. There are exceptions, but as a general rule I stay away.
    Aye, tomato soup is gross. Bleh. 
    ChinaskiMichelleTravis
    Dee said:
    Travis said:

i don't care for it either. however, the tomato soup and grilled cheese mafia rolls deep so careful what you say.
    DeeMichelleTravis
  • Split Pea Soup with Ham

No, I’m not joking. Yes, I will die on this hill.
    ChinaskicdriveMichelleDeeTravispavlovsbell
    i tend to start these threads but never answer haha. go to is a good chicken tortilla with a slice of avocado and a lime wedge to squeeze in it.  never will go to is butternut squash.
    Deepavlovsbell
    ^^^ THIS about butternut squash (and tomato soup).  Ugh.
    And that chicken tortilla soup sounds amazing.

Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2018
    @Travis My jam right here:
    Haven't ever tackled a homemade chowder (unless you count creamy potato soup), but I come from a long line of soup makers. My elders raised me on your standard beef, carrots, onions, and potato soup/stew affairs, but this many generations down and my soup game is strong on most fronts. In fact, I would argue that I could hold my own against any other strip club frequenting, hard partying hedonist bachelors when it comes to soup skills.
    ChinaskicdriveTravisMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    Travis said:

i don't care for it either. however, the tomato soup and grilled cheese mafia rolls deep so careful what you say.

ChinaskiMichelle
    edited December 2018
    -
    edited December 2018
    Chinaski said:
    i tend to start these threads but never answer haha. go to is a good chicken tortilla with a slice of avocado and a lime wedge to squeeze in it.  never will go to is butternut squash.
    Best I've ever had was here:
    Parrilla Mission in Cozumel. Ball of cheese and chicken in broth that you dig apart with the freshly fried tortilla strips and your spoon. Little different than what you find in the states, but good god, its the best.
    ChinaskiTravisMichellepavlovsbellNoel
    Freddy said:
    Chinaski said:
    Best I've ever had was here:
    Parrilla Mission in Cozumel. Ball of cheese and chicken in broth that you dig apart with the freshly fried tortilla strips and your spoon. Little different then what you find in the states, but good god, its the best.
    for some reason i pictured walking out of that place and this happening...

Image result for pee wees big adventure biker bar gif
    TraviscdriveMichellepavlovsbellNoel
  • Chinaski said:
    Dummy said:
    If me and some lobster bisque walk into the same room, only one of us comes out. 
    If only this was a thread about lobster ravioli. :-)
    Michelle
  • Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    Travis said:

They're a dangerous crew. My wife is one of them.

Freddy said:
    @Travis My jam right here:
    Haven't ever tackled a homemade chowder (unless you count creamy potato soup), but I come from a long line of soup makers. My elders raised me on your standard beef, carrots, onions, and potato soup/stew affairs, but this many generations down and my soup game is strong on most fronts. In fact, I would argue that I could hold my own against any other strip club frequenting, hard partying hedonist bachelors when it comes to soup skills.
    I tried to make that stuff once and somehow made a total mess of it. 100% operator error (it was a few years ago and I hadn't cooked as much as I have now. I was SUPER inept). Glad you reminded me and to see your endorsement. I'll have to take another run at it one of these days.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited December 2018

I used to always think of this when the topic of soup was raised, but now I think this: 

I love Mike Schur shows, but what do they have against soup? Favorites to make are potato leek, broccoli, and gazpacho. I love butternut squash bisque with some sour cream and toasted pepitas, but it looks like a PITA to make. Same with matzo ball soup and miso soup, or maybe I'm just too lazy to make my own dashi.

@JoshuaHeter  I'll hang out on that hill with you. My mother would make split pea soup from scratch whenever we had a ham. Delicious stuff. 
    TravisChinaskiJoshuaHetercdriveDeeMichelleMattyWeavesNoel

• I used to always think of this when the topic of soup was raised, but now I think this: 

I love Mike Schur shows, but what do they have against soup? Favorites to make are potato leek, broccoli, and gazpacho. I love butternut squash bisque with some sour cream and toasted pepitas, but it looks like a PITA to make. Same with matzo ball soup and miso soup, or maybe I'm just too lazy to make my own dashi.

@JoshuaHeter  I'll hang out on that hill with you. My mother would make split pea soup from scratch whenever we had a ham. Delicious stuff. 

Schur has a lot of strong food takes. He also hates "hot fruits" i.e. any kind of of fruit pie, crumble, etc, even blueberry pancakes.
    Travispavlovsbell
  • MrX said:

Schur has a lot of strong food takes. He also hates "hot fruits" i.e. any kind of of fruit pie, crumble, etc, even blueberry pancakes.
    That thread on Twitter blew my fucking mind! So many people standing against all warm fruits. I mean, I get if Schur and some others have that opinion, and I certainly get the "cake > pie" crowd and have even counted myself among them at various points in my life, but so many people were crashing out of the woodwork just claiming to despise all warm fruits. Sepinwall backed him on it. I can't remember who else specifically, but that was nuts. 
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Travis said:
    MrX said:

That thread on Twitter blew my fucking mind! So many people standing against all warm fruits. I mean, I get if Schur and some others have that opinion, and I certainly get the "cake > pie" crowd and have even counted myself among them at various points in my life, but so many people were crashing out of the woodwork just claiming to despise all warm fruits. Sepinwall backed him on it. I can't remember who else specifically, but that was nuts. 
    Lol, that twitter debate was wild. Schur even debated it on The Great Debates Podcast, and he got adorably vociferous, especially about the American fascism of apple pie.
    Travis
    Split Pea Soup with Ham

No, I’m not joking. Yes, I will die on this hill.
    I’ll join you on the hill too.  Had some split pea soup at a trade show in Dusseldorf that turned my brain inside out.

JoshuaHeter
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    French onion soup, but I don't eat the onions. Diner chicken noodle is my second.
    Travis said:
    Chinaski said:
    Dummy said:
    If only this was a thread about lobster ravioli. :-)
    Because let's be honest, we all know where this thread is going...

DummyTravis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2018
    IMO lobster ravioli is overrated. As is lobster mac and cheese. Lobster bisque is good, but a good clam chowder is better. I'm from Maine originally so I can speak to these matters with confidence.

Aside from just eating the bug right out of the shell, a lobster roll with ~1lb of meat piled on a butter-griddled split top hot dog bun with a small dollop of mayo is quite tasty. 

Chinaski
    MrX said:
    IMO lobster ravioli is overrated. As is lobster mac and cheese. Lobster bisque is good, but a good clam chowder is better. I'm from Maine originally so I can speak to these matters with confidence.

Aside from just eating the bug right out of the shell, a lobster roll with ~1lb of meat piled on a butter-griddled split top hot dog bun with a small dollop of mayo is quite tasty. 

i'm not even close to being from Maine but i agree for the most part. i don't really care to eat it out of the shell tbh. it's too much work and the whole butter dipping part is kinda gross to me. but hot damn, i do love me a good lobster roll!