SOUP!!

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited December 2018
    I go full Mexican when it comes to soup. Menudo and pozole ALLLLLL the way. Especially when it’s cold and/or I’m hungover or sick. I haven’t been able to nail my mom’s menudo recipe but I’ve gotten pretty close to the pozole. No onions for me but feel free to add to your bowl. ALWAYS add plenty of lime to both. Menudo can have some hot sauce if you like spicier foods, pozole is just fine on its own. Plenty of hominy (cause I’m from north Mexico) and chopped up cabbage to pozole. And always roll up a tortilla to eat with both. Can substitute with a tostada or chips if you wanna scoop. Topo Chico is the ideal drink, but sangria or a medio litro Coke also pairs very well.

Thoughts, I have them!
    MrXChinaskivik83hDeetom_gMichellepavlovsbell
  • Noel said:
    I go full Mexican when it comes to soup. Menudo and pozole ALLLLLL the way. Especially when it’s cold and/or I’m hungover or sick. I haven’t been able to nail my mom’s menudo recipe but I’ve gotten pretty close to the pozole. No onions for me but feel free to add to your bowl. ALWAYS add plenty of lime to both. Menudo can have some hot cause if you like spicier foods, pozole is just fine on its own. Plenty of hominy (cause I’m from north Mexico) and cabbage to pozole. And always roll up a tortilla to eat with both. Can substitute with a tostada or chips if you wanna scoop. Topo Chico is the ideal drink, but sangria or a medio litro Coke also pairs very well.

Thoughts, I have them!
    I'll be stopping by if I'm ever in Dallas.  Sounds yummy.
    Noel
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @tom_g Shit... Me too. *starts looking up Uber prices*
  • Noel said:
    I go full Mexican when it comes to soup. Menudo and pozole ALLLLLL the way. Especially when it’s cold and/or I’m hungover or sick. I haven’t been able to nail my mom’s menudo recipe but I’ve gotten pretty close to the pozole. No onions for me but feel free to add to your bowl. ALWAYS add plenty of lime to both. Menudo can have some hot sauce if you like spicier foods, pozole is just fine on its own. Plenty of hominy (cause I’m from north Mexico) and chopped up cabbage to pozole. And always roll up a tortilla to eat with both. Can substitute with a tostada or chips if you wanna scoop. Topo Chico is the ideal drink, but sangria or a medio litro Coke also pairs very well.

Thoughts, I have them!
    Pozole is amazing. One of the best soups I ever had was a bowl of pozole in a hole in the wall shop in Puerto Vallarta. Lots of lime and plenty tasty pork parts. Good stuff.
    NoelFreddy
  • Sancocho is THE ONE.
  • skelterskelter Louisville, KY
    Dummy said:
    If me and some lobster bisque walk into the same room, only one of us comes out. 
    I am absolutely stealing this quote to use in real life, just substituting 'lobster bisque' for a favorite dish -- thought I would let you know..

Dummy
  • Well I found myself in a nice little Mexican joint on a cold day, so of course I went for the pozole. Not the best I've ever had, but it hit the spot.

NoelFreddypavlovsbell
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2018
    @mrx I'm not a big lobster ravioli guy either, but there was a great friends scene revolving around Joey trying to order lobster ravioli and the waiter having to constantly remind him that they had sold out of it. 

@Michelle I was looking at various TV show themed Monopoly games and for the Friends on the token that represents Joey is 2 pizzas, which made me incredibly happy to see.

@pavlovsbell I'll have to go give that a listen. Sounds really funny. I've never heard of that podcast before, but it sounds like it's worth a spin. Thanks!
    Michellepavlovsbell
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Travis said:
    @Michelle I was looking at various TV show themed Monopoly games and for the Friends on the token that represents Joey is 2 pizzas, which made me incredibly happy to see.
    Ho-ho-hold your horses!  *record scratch*   There's a Friends Monopoly??????  

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2018
    Ha! Yeah, I didn't know before the random Amazon search (based on finding out there was a Stranger Things edition of Monopoly). They also have GoT, Walking Dead, Nightmare Before Christmas, Riverdale (of course, Al and Joe's favorite version), and a ton of other ones. I also saw that there is a Golden Girls edition of Clue which I thought was super awesome.
    https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves-Games-027229-Monopoly/dp/B0794WJ13S/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1545864176&sr=1-1&keywords=friends+monopoly

EDIT: Holy shit! They have a Firefly one also. It's $55 so I imagine it's a collector's deal, but that's awesome!
    https://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Edition-Monopoly-Board-Game/dp/B00TTX54C8/ref=sr_1_109?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1545864104&sr=1-109&keywords=monopoly
    Michelle
    edited December 2018
    Yasssss, ordering this right now!  Thank you!

EDIT:  Wait, it's $60.  Umm, this might wait until after my finances have recovered from Christmas. But LOL at the Chandler piece being a sweater vest over a long sleeve shirt.  :tongue:
    Travis
  • Yeah, I didn't notice until I went back to the page for the link that it cost that much. Must be an older edition for collectors. It's pretty awesome though. 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited December 2018
    Noel said:

Thoughts, I have them!
    Sadly, I have never tried authentic menudo, but I loved this tripe stew that was a Momofuku fusion of menudo and Korean cuisine. I would love to try the real thing, especially if it's made by someone's grandmother.

Behind Momofuku Noodle Bar's 10th Anniversary Menu

As the trailblazing restaurants celebrates its 10 anniversary, we catch up with some former head chefs to hear about their favorite throwback dishes—as well as that time David Chang fought a dude over pork buns.
    (...)

Joaquin Baca (chef-owner at The Brooklyn Star)

His Favorite Dishes: Oxtail stew (daikon, roasted onion, rice), braised tripe (chile, Benton’s bacon, onion)

“[The tripe] is inspired by my grandmother’s menudo (Mexican tripe stew), something that I never appreciated as a child. She used to cook it in the garage so as not to stink up the house. It’s always impressive when one is able to coax pleasing flavors and textures out of something that is inherently weird. Tripe is one of those things. My theory has always been to surround it with strength so as to complement it while covering up some of the excessive funk. Smoke and spice in this case. It makes it more accessible to the general palate.

We realized we weren’t an authentic anything, least of all ramen shop, and we started cooking whatever we felt like.

“When I started working with Dave, I was pushed to incorporate ingredients that were less familiar to me. Trying to cook tripe within the parameters of Asian ingredients led to ginger and gochujang replacing the cumin and ancho that were more the norm for me. Heavily smoked Benton’s bacon is the perfect partner, and the smoky gelatin resulting from our confit chicken wings give it the body. At that time, we were just starting to realize we weren’t an authentic anything, least of all ramen shop, and we started cooking whatever we felt like. A lot of it never made it to the table. A lot of people accidentally ate cow stomach and enjoyed it before asking what it was they had just eaten. Success.”

MrXChinaskiNoel
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Pho or Ramen?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Pho or Ramen?
    Don’t give me that Sophie’s choice!!  But if I had to...Pho over Ramen.  
    Chinaski
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    Pho or Ramen?
    Don’t give me that Sophie’s choice!!  But if I had to...Pho over Ramen.  
    ramen for me (had it for lunch today which prompted me to ask). love me that ramen soft boiled egg!
    cdrive
    think i'm gonna make this (with some tweeks) this weekend. it'll def be soup weather in my neck of the woods!

Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    think i'm gonna make this (with some tweeks) this weekend. it'll def be soup weather in my neck of the woods!

It's a great weekend to stay inside with a hot, homemade soup.  I think I'll make my own corn and potato chowder (I make it every so often and it's really good).  If anyone wants the recipe:

To start:
    Boil a decent amount of potatoes, carrots, and celery, drain, & set aside
    Fry 1 lb. of chopped bacon, drain, & set aside

Melt 1/4 c. margarine or real butter (more if you like) at the bottom of a dutch oven
    Saute onions in that melted butter if you want
    Sprinkle in flour to make a roux

To that, add:
    The boiled vegetables & the bacon
    4-6 cans creamed corn (can go more or fewer, whatever you like)
    Low-sodium chicken broth - enough to fill the dutch oven to about 1" from the rim but don't go *too* thin
    1 brick 'light' cream cheese (full fat if you want)
    Salt, pepper, onion powder, herbes de provence to taste
    (Can add a little of the bacon grease if you want)

Simmer slow & low for about 30 min., stirring occasionally.
    Should be nice & creamy and a bit thick when done.

Can top with a bit of shredded cheese or whatever garnish you like.
    Enjoy! 

Chinaski
    Btw @Chinaski, pics or it didn't happen.  :smile:  That recipe sounds great.  I've never had pancetta.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Btw @Chinaski, pics or it didn't happen.  :smile:  That recipe sounds great.  I've never had pancetta.
    this may sound silly but how do you go about posting pics you've taken on here?

also, pancetta rules. basically fancy Italian bacon. worse thing about it is how Giada pronounces it.
    I use Imgur but some people use TinyPic.  You basically upload the photo and copy the direct link to it, then click the icon that looks like a piece of copy paper (above this box) and enter that url.  It's pretty easy.

Does Giada do the "pawn-chay-tuh" thing?
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    I use Imgur but some people use TinyPic.  You basically upload the photo and copy the direct link to it, then click the icon that looks like a piece of copy paper (above this box) and enter that url.  It's pretty easy.

ah ok. thanks for the info @Michelle. had a feeling that required something that took effort haha

and yes that's how she says it. i call one of my friends the Mexican Giada. she's half Mexican and doesn't speak Spanish. but she pronounces Mexican food like Giada. 'my mom came over last nigh and she made 'ehhn-chiii-lahh-dasss'.
    edited March 2019
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

ah ok. thanks for the info @Michelle. had a feeling that required something that took effort haha

and yes that's how she says it. i call one of my friends the Mexican Giada. she's half Mexican and doesn't speak Spanish. but she pronounces Mexican food like Giada. 'my mom came over last nigh and she made 'ehhn-chiii-lahh-dasss'.
    lol, that drives me nuts.  One of my closest friends is Mexican and we have a friend who does that all the time - like we're not going to understand the word unless it's pronounced the way he thinks it should sound, like the trill of the r's and the long 'iii' in burrito.  And he's not that great at it, so it comes off sooooo ridiculous.  Dude, you're a white guy with freckles who was born in Idaho.  Give it up!
    NoelChinaski
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

Btw, did you make your corn chowder?
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

Btw, did you make your corn chowder?
    no. got a haircut, then went to the bar. life is good!
    Michelle
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    I made some delicious chicken and wild rice soup yesterday!  Can't wait for the leftovers all week!
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
  • Chinaski said:
    Pho or Ramen?
    PHO
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Have to give it to Portugal on their soup game. Had a bowl of creamy vegetable soup last night that was great, and had a cup of caldo verde tonight that was good enough to make me want to try making it myself when I get home. Then again, there is no soup like vacation soup.
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
    perfect weather for tomato basil bisque soup and a grilled cheese. comforting to the max!
    cdriveDummyMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    perfect weather for tomato basil bisque soup and a grilled cheese. comforting to the max!
    You joined the tomato soup grilled cheese mafia! 
    ChinaskiMichelle