SOUP!!

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    perfect weather for tomato basil bisque soup and a grilled cheese. comforting to the max!
    You joined the tomato soup grilled cheese mafia! 
    well kinda. gotta be creamy tomato basil bisque and with a grilled cheese to dunk. just plain out tomato soup not so much. more like the snobby tomato soup grilled cheese mafia.
    DeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I mentioned this soup on page 1, but I feel the need to pimp the recipe out - I’ve put a bunch of people at work onto it, and it’s my personal favourite soup ever. I’ve made it using regular green lentils and it’s still good, but the proper Puy lentils make it out of this world.  

MichelleChinaskiCapeGabe
  • Once Upon A Chef is such a great source. Anything I try is usually the superior version of that dish. Beef Stew is unreal, a little thinner than I like but other than that it's amazing. 
    DeeChinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    perfect weather for tomato basil bisque soup and a grilled cheese. comforting to the max!
    You joined the tomato soup grilled cheese mafia! 
    Yesshh 

MichelleChinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CapeGabe Oh, nice - I love a beef stew so I’ll check that one out. I don’t know if I’ve ever made anything from her other than the soup, but I really should have a proper look at the site sometime when I’m trying to look busy at work. 
    CapeGabe
  • Dee said:
    @CapeGabe Oh, nice - I love a beef stew so I’ll check that one out. I don’t know if I’ve ever made anything from her other than the soup, but I really should have a proper look at the site sometime when I’m trying to look busy at work. 
    https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/beef-stew-with-carrots-potatoes.html

DeeChinaski
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    CapeGabe said:
    Dee said:
    https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/beef-stew-with-carrots-potatoes.html

I wonder if this would be equally good if done in the crock pot. I don't love the idea of having to monitor an open flame for three hours (I have a 3 yr old and curious cats)

Had to get some seafood gumbo yesterday in the French Quarter for lunch yesterday. That’s a whole damn crab in there, just half is submerged.  With half a dozen raw oysters on the side, c’mon now!

TravisChinaskiFreddyDummyMichelle
  • edited December 2019
    I wonder if this would be equally good if done in the crock pot. I don't love the idea of having to monitor an open flame for three hours (I have a 3 yr old and curious cats)

The 3 hours is in the oven not on the stove. The pictures are just on the stove to show what it looks like at each interval. Just the initial browning of the meat and adding of ingredients is on the stovetop.

calebthrower
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2019
    cdrive said:
    Had to get some seafood gumbo yesterday in the French Quarter for lunch yesterday. That’s a whole damn crab in there, just half is submerged.  With half a dozen raw oysters on the side, c’mon now!

I literally started salivating a bit looking at that. Damn, that's a fine looking bowl of gumbo right there.

This time of year my wife and I start making a lot of Soupasta. I mean, it's just soup, but we buy a base of generally a creamy tomato and then cook up some pasta and a bag of mixed veggies and a shit-ton of Parmesan on top with a side of garlic toast and it is just delightful. Actually works really well as a pasta dish if you tweak the proportions too.
    ChinaskicdriveMichelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2019
    Whipped up some grocery turnover soup. Had some carrots, celery, onion, and kale leftover from last week:
    Bought some precooked fajita chicken and a zucchini to round it out. Took about 30 minutes start to finish, and turned out great. I would normally use fresh chicken, but I was already pretty hungry and really just wanted to chop veggies with my new chefs knife.

Anybody else do clearing house soups and salads? I feel like you can throw just about anything in a chicken soup. Beef is a little trickier, and any meat after that gets real specific, real quick.
    cdriveDeeMichelleChinaski
    Friday night soup. Just a little something I threw together.
    Potatoes, onion, kale, and turkey bacon. For the base I used Better Than Bouillon:
    Binging with Babish swears by it, so until I get around to making my own stocks, its going to have to do. Other than that, I diced the potatoes really small and boiled them long enough that it turned the broth into somewhat of a creamy potato soup. Didn't brown anything, just diced it all up and through it together; then added the kale in the last 20 minutes.

Now let's talk seasonings. I pretty much add whatever seems like the flavor I want. For this I went sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, cumin, a bay leaf, and just a little bit of chili powder. Oh, and some parsley, but that's just because it was going bad soon. Parsley does fuck all but look cool.
    DeecdriveMichelleChinaski
    ^Im scrolling my phone and @xulsolar22 is all “who’s reppin the Better than Boullion?!”  It’s Freddy. “Cause that’s stuff is amazing!”

looks similar to what she did the other day with greens , ham and black eyed peas.  It was the jam. Chose this tiny paper bowl and went back to fill it up 3 more times haha. 

Soup looks good, mang! 
    MichelleChinaskiFreddy
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I’m about to try something new this weekend.  Homemade meatballs, fusilli, tomato soup & water (don’t want it thick at all), carrots, celery, green beans, seasoning.  We’ll see how it turns out!
    FreddyChinaski
    edited January 2020
    Michelle said:
    I’m about to try something new this weekend.  Homemade meatballs, fusilli, tomato soup & water (don’t want it thick at all), carrots, celery, green beans, seasoning.  We’ll see how it turns out!

Verdict, @Michelle ?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Freddy said:
    Michelle said:

Verdict, @Michelle ?
    Pretty tasty!  I added too much water on accident, so I decided to add a brick of fat free cream cheese to thicken it a bit.  Seasoning-wise, I added salt/pepper, onion powder, and herbes de provence (all to taste - never a specified amount).   I'd definitely make it again.
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i think i'm gonna try making this on Sunday. looks super simple and tasty.

MichelleFreddy
    edited January 2020
    Got a Ninja Blender earlier this week, and decided to try my hand at real creamy potato soup.
    It's going through the last bit of simmering right now, but already tastes great. That being said, it looks like buffet gravy.
    cdriveChinaski
    My old mate got a serious stack of Guitar Center gift cards from the wifey for Xmas so after we were done with shenanigans we hit up a Hot Pot place across the street since it was 50 degrees bright n sunny. 50 is cool for us. Yeah 2 dudes sharing hot pot, what’s the problem?

Chinaski
    cdrive said:
    My old mate got a serious stack of Guitar Center gift cards from the wifey for Xmas so after we were done with shenanigans we hit up a Hot Pot place across the street since it was 50 degrees bright n sunny. 50 is cool for us. Yeah 2 dudes sharing hot pot, what’s the problem?

Imitation crab is the problem. That stuff gives me the willies.
    cdriveChinaski
    edited January 2020
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

Where? It was available but nah dude. We put 2 half real crabs in there. I think you’re looking at the sliced ribeye.
    Freddy
  • My cousin's fiancee is from Vietnam and I luckily get invited over for hotpot every other month. So good.
    cdriveFreddyChinaski
    cdrive said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

Where? It was available but nah dude. We put 2 half real crabs in there. I think you’re looking at the sliced ribeye.
    Thanks Christ, had me scared for a minute.
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

Thanks Christ, had me scared for a minute.
    Come drop back into Houston my man. Or actually I think it’s my turn to jump up there! 
    Last night was some Kenny & Ziggy’s Mish Mosh soup which is a chicken noodle matzah ball soup about the size of a baseball with an added kreplach.  I got a side app of kishka so I sliced some of it into the soup.  It was some bubbie goodness.  

MichelleChinaski
  • As an aside, I know two brothers who have become millionaires selling high end soup to companies like Whole Foods.  Who knew soup was so lucrative?
  • Dee said:
    I mentioned this soup on page 1, but I feel the need to pimp the recipe out - I’ve put a bunch of people at work onto it, and it’s my personal favourite soup ever. I’ve made it using regular green lentils and it’s still good, but the proper Puy lentils make it out of this world.  

I will second this.

Haven't been able to find Puy lentils and this recipe is still excellent.

I've made it like 6 times now and it is the tastiest soup I've made myself.

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 2020
    @CapeGabe Isn’t it great? I’m hanging out for colder weather to make it again. 

Don’t know if helps find them but Puy lentils are also known as “French style” lentils. 
    edited November 2020
    Hit freezing for the first time this fall, so you know what that means. It's beef stew* time!
    *The ingredients are chopped up rather small, but there was just enough liquid to cover the top. Not sure at which point this becomes a soup rather than a stew. I feel like for it to really be stew, there has to be flour involved. You know, where the liquid is more gravy-ish. I guess at that point you might as well start calling chicken and dumplings stew. Fuck me, is that even considered soup? You can buy it in a can in the soup aisle. Then again, that's where Dinty Moore's stew offerings are found. And another thing: who the fuck eats Dinty Moore!? How are they still in business!? At any rate, I know one thing for sure: what I made certainly isn't a sandwich.
    Chinaskicdrivetom_gDummy
    stew.jpg 450.9K
    @xulsolar22 made some bomb winter soup with leftover turkey and turkey bones, winter melon, tofu, chrysanthemum greens, baby king oyster mushrooms, cabbage, and clear glass noodles.  

DeeChinaskiMichelle