Bird Box

JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
edited December 2018 in Movies
15 minutes in. WTF?

Update:

30 minutes in. Still, WTF?

Final Update:

I haven’t seen “A Quiet Place”, but if there does seem to be a lot of “parallels” to put it charitably.

At any rate. I still have many questions (including WTF?). An entertaining 2 hours, but far from a must see (IMO).

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I almost watched this last night but couldn't pull the trigger. It looked like a weird riff on the premise of A Quiet Place.
    JoshuaHeter
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited December 2018
    The forest scenes were filmed about an hour+ north of me in Del Norte County.  I plan to watch it soon.
    JoshuaHeterElisa
  • Michelle said:
    The forest scenes were filmed about an hour+ north of me in Del Norte County.  I plan to watch it soon.
    Jealous. One of these days I want to fly into the Bay Area and the just road trip it from there all around the Northwest.
    MichelleElisa
  • lol I watched the preview and said WTF.   I am tempted to watch enough to see how they set up the premise for having to be blindfolded but so far have resisted. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • lol I watched the preview and said WTF.   I am tempted to watch enough to see how they set up the premise for having to be blindfolded but so far have resisted. 
    Watch it with a blindfold on. Ya know, because... meta.
    majjam0770ElisaBhorten1
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    What's the final verdict? Did it ever redeem itself?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2018
    I know a lot of people love the book, but I tried to read it and it was such a snorefest. I think I made it about 1/4 through. I don’t think I’ll be bothering with the movie. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • What's the final verdict? Did it ever redeem itself?
    Eh... I enjoyed my time. But, I can’t in good conscience give it a strong recommendation.

Save it for when you need something to background watch, and maybe it will get you to put your phone / laptop down.
    Murderbearmajjam0770Elisa
  • Spoiler-ish: I thought it took too much from A Quiet Place (as others have said), The Happening, and Book of Eli. The journey was OK, but the ending fell flat for me
    JoshuaHeter
  • gguenot said:
    Spoiler-ish: I thought it took too much from A Quiet Place (as others have said), The Happening, and Book of Eli. The journey was OK, but the ending fell flat for me
    Agreed about the ending.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    gguenot said:
    Spoiler-ish: I thought it took too much from A Quiet Place (as others have said), The Happening, and Book of Eli. The journey was OK, but the ending fell flat for me
    The book was published in 2014 so it’s more likely A Quiet Place took too much from that if anything. 
    gguenottelephoneofmadnessasmallcatElisa
  • I loved the book. Like nothing I’d ever read before. I’m not sure how well it will translate to video but I’m totally planning to watch it.
    Elisa
  • I was skeptical about it because it felt like a QP knockoff. But I couldn't pass up a chance to lust after Trevante Rhodes so I gave it a try. It may be because my expectations were low, but I ended up liking it a lot. A bit cheesy in parts but I was entertained the whole time.
    Elisa
  • Hmmm, the synopsis sounds similar to Roadside Picnic and Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker with zombies thrown in.
  • Like others, I thought the ending was a little flat, but was otherwise entertained throughout. I'd probably rate it a 6.5 out of 10. Worth watching, but not something I'd watch again. 
    JoshuaHeterElisadarwinfeeshy
  • edited December 2018
    Giovanni said:
    Like others, I thought the ending was a little flat, but was otherwise entertained throughout. I'd probably rate it a 6.5 out of 10. Worth watching, but not something I'd watch again. 
    Agree. Lots of good scenes and good cinematography, the acting was good (especially girl, and I think it's so hard to get compelling child actors), interesting idea, but the ending was meh. Also...

I wasn't in LOVE with the idea that mentally ill people were used as the secondary bad guys in the film
    GiovanniElisagguenot
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations as it is a Netflix movie and avoided spoilers. All in all a decent slightly above average movie. 
    Giovanni
  • I'm surprised so many folks don't like it. I watched it on a whim and really enjoyed it. It was a really good effort from Netflix and apparently it paid off big time for them.
    Elisacdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Damn I thought this was pretty good.  The livingroom got dusty at the end.  You put adorable kids and babies in the suspense mix and that always takes it to another level with me.  I’d give it something like a 7.5 out of 10.  The pace dragged in the back half of the movie, but it was still a fun movie to watch.  I thought it was way better than A Quiet Place.  
    SnarlingNikki
  • For me this was like It Follows -- perfect concept ruined by the rules not being clear.
    Watching now.  I'm on the edge of my seat.  :fearful:
    JoshuaHeter
    edited December 2018
    Okay, so -
    no explanation at all to what the thing was that caused this whole mess in the first place, or why???  Not sure how I feel about the ending.
    gguenot
  • @Michelle ;

right. I don’t need a full blown explanation... but we don’t really even get hint.
    Michelle
  • @Michelle ;

right. I don’t need a full blown explanation... but we don’t really even get hint.
    Bird Box 2, brah
    MichelleJoshuaHeter
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2018
    There are so many Bird Box memes out there, it’s wonderful. Some serious zeitgeist that Quiet Place or no other 2018 horror got.

Spoiler:
    https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1079199331175952384?s=21

• MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Started off quite promising then I fell into a bored state. It did not go anywhere good. Ending was a bit fat nothing.
  • MmmBop said:
    Started off quite promising then I fell into a bored state. It did not go anywhere good. Ending was a bit fat nothing.
    My exact thoughts. I also never bought into them being able to survive a post-apocalyptic world blind folded so the eye-rolling started early on for me and never really slowed down
    MmmBop
  • MmmBop said:
    My exact thoughts. I also never bought into them being able to survive a post-apocalyptic world blind folded so the eye-rolling started early on for me and never really slowed down
    It's not so far fetched to me. I think humans are amazingly adaptable. People can do some pretty amazing things given the right motivation (survival). 
    Elisa
  • They can put blankets over their heads to read maps, etc., so they're not totally blind.
  • To not name her children for the first five years of their lives was ridiculous, heartless, and unforgivable. 
    hisdudeness915gguenot