Where I felt bald move went wrong in 2018

This is from someone who has been following you guys for 3 and a half years and I feel that I should give my feedback for content 
Mistakes 
No daredevil 
the Romanoffs 
Season of the cage? 
Surprising lack of tv outside bald move tv 
No spiderman Spider-Verse 
No ant man and wasp 
Massive lack of netflix 
That's about all. And honestly it's just feedback 
A_Ron_HubbardElisadarwinfeeshy

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    valid gripes imo minus questioning Season of the Cage. those Cage pods were <chefs kiss!>.
    MurderbeargguenotTravisladylarsenmac.maguire
  • Agree on he Netflix content, I like the way they covered Stranger Things and think it’s work great with the binge shows
    Elisamjmulladyladylarsen
  • I'm with you on the Romanoffs, but I also understand why they felt complled to cover with it being the Weiner's first show since Mad Men.

Amazon is making some good content though - I'd recommend checking out Homecoming and Forever especially right now.

Succession is another one I wish they could watch, has a great pedigree - HBO, Adam McKay, and some great directors and actors - and was one of my favorites this year. 
    MurderbearReniTeresa from Concord
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I certainly understand the difficulty of doing Netflix. With this kind of binge watch society, all episodes drop at once and people are done in a weekend. Tough to keep up with the limited time and tight schedules. Maybe just a single podcast on overall thoughts of a show instead of episode by episode breakdown.
    Elisamac.maguiredistopiandreamgirl83
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Doing Netflix right is a focus for 2019.
    MrXgguenotChinaskiMichellerusskellyNoelDoctor_NickskelterTravisshmavisiMatty94and 28 others.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Jeez, that's a lot of likes. I didn't say we'd actually do it right, just that it's a focus, haha! It's going to require some trial and error and taking risks on unknown quantities, because Netflix stuff dominates for a week or two then nothing, and if you don't catch that wave you might as well not do it. We're going to try, anyway.
    JoshuaHeteriMatty94CoryElisaMichelleAussieGregTravissaraej319mjmulladyladylarsenand 6 others.
  • I added an insightful tag, it's much better balanced now.  :)
    In bald move tv I would like more short takes as they did with that stephen king show:
    "Watched 3 episodes, nothing special, sorry Steve, moving on."

hisdudeness915TaraC73A_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • Glad most of you seam to find this post interesting :) 
    Elisa
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited December 2018
    My 2 cents:

I think Romanoffs is a perfect example of why they don’t like doing Day 1 coverage. But then again, Sharp Objects was a delight so what’re ya gonna do?

As as far as Season of the Cage goes. I enjoyed it but everyone will choose different Cage movies so it’s probably difficult to pick them. 

Ant Man and the Wasp was a pile of shit so I’m actually glad they didn’t cover it. 

I’m looking forward to more Netflix coverage. I liked the way you guys did Stranger Things with the recap intro on each episode and no scene by scene breakdown has to be the way to go on a binge model IMO. Also, I’d like to see a few more Netflix movies thrown in there. 

All in all, I thought it was a great year but admittedly I myself didn’t watch as much tv this year. However, next year is shaping up to be possibly Bald Move’s biggest year yet!!
    DummyElisaMichelleDeeTravisladylarsenblue_sleevemac.maguire
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Definitely would've liked to see their take on Buster Scruggs, but I guess that goes under the Netflix content point.
    mft9186mac.maguire
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited December 2018
    I've noticed that I've pretty much stopped listening to the Bald Move podcasts. The last time was probably the season wrap up for Better Call Saul sometime back in October.

A transition to the Watching Dead would have been smooth and nice, but unfortunately the guys don't cover it anymore. Which I understand, but in hindsight (!) I think it's an unfortunate choice. This half season TWD was good and enjoyable again. Good character building, inspired cinematography (they've added some classic horror vibe), and very little stupidity in how people behave (except for a bit of that during the first 2 episodes).

The BM-content that it has been replaced with, just doesn't interest me much. Season of the Cage and the Giamatti stuff especially.... Personally I prefer the commissioned movie podcasts from before. But probably that's just me.

I'm sure I'll return as a loyal listener and subscriber once the Baldies content drops. And when other TV shows start airing again of course.

SchluppElisaJaimieTGiovannimft9186gjames80Janco
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Arli$$ has finally been added to HBO Now. We need a dedicated podcast for that.
    Freddy
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2018
    Of these listings I definitely agree re: Daredevil S3 which in hindsight would have been a better choice than The Romanoffs (but who could have guessed The Weiner would fail so spectacularly or that DD S3 would be such a great return to form) and also Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse which is one of my Top 5 movies of the year. I understand the difficulties in covering Netflix shows though and I think the big movie misses could be potentially solved by the idea ARon suggested about a retrospective podcast on the movies the guys wished they had covered as First Run Movies. 
    iMatty94
  • But at least in January we have baldies and true detective so that's a great start 
    ElisaweeniegirlDummyladylarsenblue_sleeve
  • Honestly, I did feel this was a bit of a minor year for Bald Move, but I think a lot of that is down to just the fact that so many shows in the regular coverage either weren't on or got skipped this year. Fargo, Game of Thrones, Mr. Robot and Stranger Things all took the year off, the Legion podcast didn't happen for season 2, Watching Dead ended, etc. I also felt like not enough shows got added to regular coverage to make up for it (The Deuce and The Expanse were the only ones, plus Sharp Objects + Romanoffs as limited series).

This doesn't feel like it's going to be a problem next year - what with The Deuce, The Expanse, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, True Detective, and Westworld (maybe?) all airing new seasons, there's no shortage of stuff to cover. Problem is, at least three of those shows (Deuce, GoT, Robot) are airing their final seasons, so that leaves even more gaps in future years unless they find some more good new shows to add to the rotation.

Don't get me wrong, I like all things Bald Move, but the episodic TV coverage has always been the main reason I come here, and it just feels like there was a good chunk less of it this year.
    ElisaA_Ron_HubbardGiovanniLeahra821ladylarsengjames80
  • I miss the Watching Dead so much, it’s a shame too. The season after they decide to end it, the show actually got way better.  I was seriously looking for shit to complain about and failing.  it only took them nine seasons to figure it out
    blue_sleeverustywright4
  • I think where they really went wrong was in 2017 by making me look forward to buying myself a whiskey advent calendar this year only to get screwed by Budweiser. 

I don't think I can ever forgive the boys for that, although I'm sure my liver is grateful. :)
    MurderbearA_Ron_HubbardTravisPeggyBladylarsen
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I think one thing for all of us to remember is that there's no way they can cover every single series or movie that everyone likes - that's an unreasonable expectation given the time it would take.  Plus, if the guys have no interest in that show or movie, it will result in a podcast that is really unenjoyable for the people who were looking forward to it.

They started to lose interest in The Walking Dead at least 2 seasons ago, so why would we expect them to continue to cover it and make themselves miserable in the process?  

Like @SomeBiscuit said, a lot of their regular shows weren't around in 2018 - so that changed the programming plans quite a bit for this year.  Because of that, they needed to find other things to fill the void.   They're not going to cover a show just because someone says it's good - again, they have to have interest in it.  

I don't think it's fair to say that they "went wrong' simply because they didn't cover something that a few people were into but they themselves weren't.  They still worked their asses off to provide content to us in a down year.  
    DeeMurderbearNoelSomeBiscuitmtron32DummyElisaSnarlingNikkiDaveyMacFernNYC17and 4 others.
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited December 2018
    Please let's not get defensive because of some honest feedback. Nobody here was suggesting the guys aren't working hard.

And about TWD: I don't "expect them to continue to cover it and make themselves miserable in the process". I just miss listening to their views on (and jokes about) the show.

mtron32ElisaA_Ron_HubbardGiovannirhcooprustywright4
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Please let's not get defensive because of some honest feedback. Nobody here was suggesting the guys aren't working hard.

And about TWD: I don't "expect them to continue to cover it and make themselves miserable in the process". I just miss listening to their views (and jokes) on the show.

Nothing I said was defensive or targeted toward you.  It's just how I feel on the topic as a whole, and toward the first post in the thread.
    NoelTravisGiovanni
  • @Michelle Agreed 100%. I listened to them less this year, because there was less of the stuff that I enjoy most from them, but at the end of the day it's up to them what they want to do. I hope nothing in my post came off as me being annoyed or judging them for the choices that they made, especially given the circumstances of the schedule this year.

Picking shows to cover is difficult, especially if they're new shows - that's a big gamble to take, given how much time they put into covering a season. And if they just went with an ethos of "make the content that the majority of the fans want" then they'd be spending all their time chasing hit shows to go along with Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, and we never would have gotten stuff like The Leftovers.

I'd especially agree that "went wrong" is a poor way to word it, and that this thread should maybe be titled differently. I think there's nothing wrong with having a space where people can talk about stuff they wish Bald Move had covered, or things they wish they'd done differently, or suggestions for the future, and everyone in this thread is by and large handling it well. I just worry, as it's very easy for this kind of feedback to turn into straight up fan entitlement (just look at uh, any fanbase for anything ever), and I wouldn't want to end up with that going on here.
    MichelleDeeDaveyMacTravisblue_sleeveSteverh78samolly
  • They might have missed out on some big shows this year, but I don't mind because if they only tried to focus on what's big and popular, we would've never gotten podcasts about shows like The Leftovers. And you just can't know in advance what's gonna be good. This year my favorites were Beltalowda, Better Cast Saul, most of the Bald Move TV especially The Deuce and Sharp Objects; and American Horror Story because Cecily & Aron are so much fun to listen to!

My one small gripe for this year is, and I'm almost afraid to say this given the amount of effort the guys put into it, I'm just not feeling the whole Giamiatti thing. It's like it's this epic inside joke that noone let me in on, even though I listen to 85-90% of Bald Move content. I know it's been a running joke but somehow I never got it. So I feel left out of the BM Christmas this year, but hey, I can totally live with it and I seem to be well in the minority on this.
    SomeBiscuitSchlupprusskellyJaimieTNickplaygjames80rustywright4
  • edited December 2018
    And if they just went with an ethos of "make the content that the majority of the fans want" then they'd be spending all their time chasing hit shows to go along with Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, and we never would have gotten stuff like The Leftovers.
    Reni said:
    They might have missed out on some big shows this year, but I don't mind because if they only tried to focus on what's big and popular, we would've never gotten podcasts about shows like The Leftovers.
    Gotta love the old "posting the exact same point at the exact same time" coincidence.
    Reni
  • TV needs another Breaking Bad to energize the Bald Move Universe.  Something has to be on the horizon. 

Unconditional love to the boys!
  • My one small gripe for this year is, and I'm almost afraid to say this given the amount of effort the guys put into it, I'm just not feeling the whole Giamiatti thing. It's like it's this epic inside joke that noone let me in on, even though I listen to 85-90% of Bald Move content. I know it's been a running joke but somehow I never got it. So I feel left out of the BM Christmas this year, but hey, I can totally live with it and I seem to be well in the minority on this.

Yeah, I didn't get or feel any of that eighter. Or why it was so much work to pull off to be honest. Thought it was a cultural thing being from the old continent or something. :-)
    Same with the whole cage stuff, I couldn't bring myself to care much, it felt like they were trying to hard to make it work or something. I definitely would like to see the commissions come back in some form.

PreservedKillickgjames80
  • Personally I didn't really get the Cage thing or the Giammati thing but I do t particularly care that I didnt get it.  Sometimes the guys do things that I don't get. Sometimes they do things I love a lot that other people don't get.  If it is restorative and energizinefor them, then I'm all for it. The holidays in particular are for relaxing and more lightheartedness.

Of course the likes of GoT are their bread and butter, and if they did 50 random podcasts in a row that I didn't get and still stuck a GoT landing when it really matters, I'm fine with that.

I do miss tthe little descriptions on the LWJ&A though!
    DoubleA_RonrusskellyNoelMichelleJaimieTReniBrandonTheBardSnarlingNikkivik83hDaveyMacand 7 others.
  • Personally I didn't really get the Cage thing or the Giammati thing but I do t particularly care that I didnt get it.  Sometimes the guys do things that I don't get. Sometimes they do things I love a lot that other people don't get.  If it is restorative and energizinefor them, then I'm all for it.
    I 100% agree.  Well put.
    NoelMichelleTravisgjames80rustywright4
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I do miss the little descriptions on the LWJ&A though!
    Yes!!
    phil_neko
  • Gotta say I loved Groundhog Day.
    gguenotMichelleblacksunrise7TravisPeggyBMonicaOpusWhoJanco
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I didn't feel drawn to the Cage stuff, the Halloween stuff, or the Giamatti stuff... just that bummer feeling when you're not the demographic I guess.
    BrandonTheBardfidozNickplayrkcrawfGiovanni