Where I felt bald move went wrong in 2018

Comments

• tom_g said:
    Gotta say I loved Groundhog Day.
    Groundhog Day was great! It does seem like it would be hard to replicate. Perhaps to build excitement for Game of Thrones final season do a live binge watch of seasons 1-7 and raise money for a charity again. Could do 1 season a day, take that Binge Mode :p
  • Personally I didn't really get the Cage thing or the Giammati thing but I do t particularly care that I didnt get it.  Sometimes the guys do things that I don't get. Sometimes they do things I love a lot that other people don't get.  If it is restorative and energizinefor them, then I'm all for it. The holidays in particular are for relaxing and more lightheartedness.

Of course the likes of GoT are their bread and butter, and if they did 50 random podcasts in a row that I didn't get and still stuck a GoT landing when it really matters, I'm fine with that.

I do miss tthe little descriptions on the LWJ&A though!
    JaimieT said:
    I didn't feel drawn to the Cage stuff, the Halloween stuff, or the Giamatti stuff... just that bummer feeling when you're not the demographic I guess.

Same. They seem to be having fun though, which makes me happy. I’m looking forward to something more ‘for me’ next year, which looks like it’s gonna be a DOOZY for BM. 
    PreservedKillick
  • Gotta say I loved Groundhog Day.
  • Man, I remember Groundhog Day like it was yesterday morning... wait..
    jhparkMichelle
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Bring back twitch.
    Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Schlupp said:
    My one small gripe for this year is, and I'm almost afraid to say this given the amount of effort the guys put into it, I'm just not feeling the whole Giamiatti thing. It's like it's this epic inside joke that noone let me in on, even though I listen to 85-90% of Bald Move content. I know it's been a running joke but somehow I never got it. So I feel left out of the BM Christmas this year, but hey, I can totally live with it and I seem to be well in the minority on this.

Yeah, I didn't get or feel any of that eighter. Or why it was so much work to pull off to be honest. Thought it was a cultural thing being from the old continent or something. :-)
    Same with the whole cage stuff, I couldn't bring myself to care much, it felt like they were trying to hard to make it work or something. I definitely would like to see the commissions come back in some form.

That's a real bummer. We were excited for it. I'm still really proud of how it turned out, but I'm definitely getting the "I got this person a very expensive gift that they don't appreciate or want" vibe off of this thing.

As far as the time, I mean, just producing an original 15 minutes digital short is tough with two people. Write it, storyboard it, acquire all the imagry you'll need. Animate and edit it. And if  you haven't seen it, the last day involved lots of green screen, actual pyro, and miniture work. Way beyond what we'd ever done before, and we had a lot of fun and learned a lot about technical aspects of filming. 

But I'm really sorry that more people aren't into it, because we went all in on it thinking it would be well received. We could have done the more traditional Bald Move Christmas we also had planned and done literally one tenth the work and it seems like that would have gone over better. But I also don't want to not take risks and never try new things, because that's how you get a groundhog day, too. 

This must be what it feels like to be the Weiner this season, haha.
    gguenotNoeljhparkMichelleSchluppNaugustinebazjensterDaveyMacNickplayTravisand 11 others.
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    edited December 2018
    Add in Homecoming for 2019, maybe a short retrospective cast before season 2. Fantastic show
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Surveys/questionnaires to current customers are helpful in evaluating interest, as are "exit surveys" if anyone cancels their memberships.
    gguenotNoelTravisFlukes
  • I liked the Cage stuff, even though I've only seen half the movies reviewed. And found Weatherman unrelentingly depressing to the point of being unwatchable. I gave up 2/3 in. Enjoyed the Livewatch, but just couldn't finish the actual movie.

I'm really waiting for their Good Place opinion. or at least, I think ARon has said he'll watch it, I don't know if Jim has said the same. It's the only show I watch on air, and despite some wobbliness earlier this season, overall it's just been awesome, and IMO really found its groove again later in the season. (Though I enjoyed even the earlier, slightly wobbly bits)

I love the interplay between the J&A, generally speaking. I've tried listening to other TV/movie review casts and there's something about the banter that is invariably infuriating. Too many in jokes, or gags that just go on too long and aren't funny too me, etc. Even when J&A aren't funny to me they at least don't spend too much time on the joke.

One thing I really enjoyed with the Lunches is one a few weeks ago, where ARon was talking about parasocial relationships we have with them, and Jim said something dismissive about the fandom and ARon was all, "See, I'm the only one who cared about you guys all along!" and Jim was in emphatic agreement that he hates us :-D It made me literally laugh out loud, and I think there's something like that in pretty much every Lunch, so... yeah, love it.
    MrXNickplayladylarsen
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited December 2018
    I just watched part 8.  I don’t really connect with the Giamatti thing but at the same time, @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim, I totally recognize and appreciate the work that went into this production.  Thank you for thinking of all of us and wanting to do something big for the holiday.  No matter the overall response (maybe somewhere in the middle?  More toward the positive?), you should feel a huge sense of accomplishment and I hope you guys can still feel the huge amount of love, loyalty, and respect that your fans have for you.  Merry Christmas.  :smile: :heart:
    DoubleA_RonBrandonTheBardTravisNickplayweeniegirlNoelrustywright4
  • Yea, same reaction as Michelle— I didn’t quite get it (not your faults) but you can see the hard work that went into it and I’d love to see Paul’s reaction to it
    MichelleTravis
  • Homecoming was an oversight IMO. If it gets a second season (and based on the post credits stinger after the ep 10 I think it will) I hope the guys are on it
    Elisa
  • Just a reminder for Jim and A.ron, these kind of threads are not generally indicative of the broader opinion of your audience. Especially with the thread title being a critique itself.  These threads solicit responses from  people who are disappointed, and not really from those who weren't. While the criticism is valid, don't let it get you down .There's just as many (and probably much more of us) who really like what you did. 

I loved the Giamatti One Night Manger stuff, but the live watches have never been something I've connected with, mainly because having audio from multiple sources at once crosses some wires in my brain.  Last year, I mixed the audio from your Christmas special with a digital copy of the movies and enjoyed it, however it took some significant work due to the pausing for drinks.  I haven't had time to do it this year.  I've enjoyed all the other stuff released for SotC and AVGC.

In short, don't get dismayed.
    NaugustineMichelleGarthgou81Travisladylarsensamolly
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Never dismayed, it's all good constructive feedback!
    DoubleA_RonDeeMichelleDaveyMacFreddyNickplayFernNYC17AussieGregElisajtmy92and 3 others.
  • edited December 2018
    As long as Kanye West isn't subscribed to baldmove we shouldn't have a problem.

Michelle
  • JaimieT said:
    I didn't feel drawn to the Cage stuff, the Halloween stuff, or the Giamatti stuff... just that bummer feeling when you're not the demographic I guess.
    Agree here except for Halloween stuff. I was surprised I wasn’t more into season of the cage. A.ron warned us about how podcast versions of live watches are and I have to admit he was right. I will always love their standard post watch coverage discussion film pod like they do for Bald Movies and commissioned podcasts. And sadly, bc I mostly consume Bald Move through my apple podcast app I have yet to check out any of A Very Giamatti Christmas which I know the guys are super proud of. I plan to watch at least some before New Years but if I am honest I really liked what they did in years past which was the scotch advent calendar (which I know wasn’t available this year) and lots of misc Bald Movies. I still love everything they do and will continue to support them !
  • Frankly feel like Bald Move was the victim of poor TV this past year.

Fingers crossed for True Detective.
    DummybazjensterCALVlLlAINmac.maguire
  • Poor predictable TV.

Everyone is singing the praises of Killing Eve which was out of left field, the Terror was out of nowhere, you kinda had to know about the Homecoming podcast to anticipate it, who knew Daredevil Season 3 might have been the best Marvel show on Netflix, I'd heard nothing about the Bodyguard prior to it showing up (not that I liked it that much, but people did)....
    bazjensterElisapodcartfan
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Schlupp said:
    As long as Kanye West isn't subscribed to baldmove we shouldn't have a problem.

That would be epic for so many reasons. Not the least of which is the inevitable rants Kanye would go on whenever he realizes that he's not even in the top 10 of beloved community members. "What the fuck is a Murderbear, anyways!? Don't you people realize I'm the voice of a generation!?" - Sir Kanye West
    A_Ron_HubbardMichelleSchluppMurderbearTravisDaveyMacFlukesNoel
  • edited December 2018
    Sorry man, there won't be a season of the Kanye any time soon. Ice T asked first and he cares more now. In the end its about crunching the numbers. Plus your girlfriend is a deeply closeted hobbit and a lot of community members still have mixed feelings about the whole killing Smaug thing. At least she should be able to explain that whole murderbear thing to you. It's important.

•  Sharp Objects and expanse coverage was pure fire.
    MurderbearMichellejtmy92FernNYC17SchluppMFGOpusWho
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I enjoyed the Season of the Cage stuff and the Giamatti stuff has been okay. I only watched a couple of the One Man Mangers UNTIL I just watched the final edit with them all together. I think it works way better all as one thing instead of eight pieces but I thought it was great! It's a little corny but that's what I've come to expect from Bald Move! (Not meant as an insult!)

It's 100% Bald Move and that's what I love about it. Their coverage choices are probably never going to please everyone but I am so glad they are taking chances on stuff like this!
    Michellemac.maguirerustywright4
  • I enjoyed the Season of the Cage stuff and the Giamatti stuff has been okay. I only watched a couple of the One Man Mangers UNTIL I just watched the final edit with them all together. I think it works way better all as one thing instead of eight pieces but I thought it was great! It's a little corny but that's what I've come to expect from Bald Move! (Not meant as an insult!)

It's 100% Bald Move and that's what I love about it. Their coverage choices are probably never going to please everyone but I am so glad they are taking chances on stuff like this!
    I don't know how I missed One Man Manger until now, but I just watched it (all parts together for what it's worth) and it's fuckin great! Well done, fellas. That was pretty ambitious and it played really nicely. Great job!
    Murderbearladylarsen
  • JaimieT said:
    I'm right there with you, @JaimieT. Cage and horror aren't my thing, and Livewatches for movies I've never seen have limited appeal to me. I liked Giamatti in John Adams and my Christmas card, but it didn't grab me. I'm glad others enjoyed them though. 

On the positive note, I did like what happened with Bald Move TV and the first run Bald Movies. The Terror, Sharp Objects, and The Deuce were great bets. Romanoffs was a good bet that didn't pan out.  While there may be too much Netflix content to cover, it is a big need for me. They have too much content to wade through. I'm an HBO->Netflix/Hulu->Amazon->everything else guy. Someone mentioned The Innocent Man as must-watch, and I had never heard of it. I'm still trying to figure out whether Making a Murder 2, Godless, and several other shows are any good. I guess I'm looking for a Siskel & Ebert thumbs up/down from trusted advisors for Netflix & first run movies. If I am lucky, I might get 90 min each night to watch something, so I want to make it count.

I love the back-catalog of popular movies and shows, and while I can appreciate the artistic appeal of a commissioned film-noir classic, I feel like there is a big opportunity cost with stuff like that. 

• I know why the guys have stopped but I did enjoy the Twitch stuff. The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange playthroughs are hilarious!
    DoubleA_RonMichelledarwinfeeshyFernNYC17BloodyTacophil_neko
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I definitely have opinions on great shows (Succession) and not-even-close -to-great shows (The Romanoffs) but a lot of what's been posted already covers lots of opinions.

My one critique? I would like to hear more from Jim. He sometimes gets cut off mid-thought, or not given enough pauses to join in on the conversation.

Looking forward to 2019!
    gguenotDeeMichelleElisaNoelBloodyTacoMFGtingudu
  • I guess my take on this year was this is the year I was positive that I loved the content coming from here and am super excited about the future.  Obviously a lot of tent pole shows were not all there but I thought the Twitch experiment was worthy even if it didn't pan out, the cage was just fun and a cool experiment, and the deeper and more societal/political discussions stoked a fire for me.  I know that's not necessarily why everyone comes but it hooked me.  I'm looking forward to 2019 and I love that they guys just keep trying new things to see what works and what doesn't.  To me that's what I like from any content creator, if you stagnate too long that is a bad thing.  
    Michelle
  • LKSmith2 said:
    I know why the guys have stopped but I did enjoy the Twitch stuff. The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange playthroughs are hilarious!
    I’m really, really, really hoping that there will eventually be a “season” of game playthroughs.
    gguenotMichelleFernNYC17BloodyTacophil_neko
  • Man, I really wish they covered Homecoming 
    blue_sleeve
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    jhpark said:

I'm really waiting for their Good Place opinion. or at least, I think ARon has said he'll watch it, I don't know if Jim has said the same. It's the only show I watch on air, and despite some wobbliness earlier this season, overall it's just been awesome, and IMO really found its groove again later in the season. (Though I enjoyed even the earlier, slightly wobbly bits)
    I think A.Ron said he would check out a couple episodes for the sake of the Baldies, don't quote me on that though. That being said, I really, really do wish they would cover it. It's the most wholesomely hilarious show I've seen in ages. I know they've got pretty valid reasons for not covering comedies, but the show is so much more than that. They dive deep into (and poke fun at) philosophical questions, multiverse theory, time travel, moral ambiguity, etc. The cast is all around phenomenal, and the attention to detail in terms of writing and continuity are up there with some of the greats.
    jhparkMrXFlukes