Where I felt bald move went wrong in 2018

124»

Comments

• @SeaHog I totally forgot that Discovery was also in 2018. The guys covered the very early episodes in a Baldmove TV cast. I agree, the show would have deserved the full BM treatment for all the reasons you mentioned. Then again, maybe it's for the best, I think I remember A.Ron mentioning several times that he was really underwhelmed by it and the guys always say, if there's one thing they hate, it's people telling them what shows they SHOULD have covered. I'm sure they've discussed the decision at length.

[spoilers] Either way, Discovery had the best first season for a Star Trek show ever! The Lorca reveal was as dark as any DS9 episode, I loved the Michael Burnham Vulcan back story and the time loop episode. The ratings are good and so was the critical reception, so consider me HYPED for Season 2!

ElisaAussieGregSeaHog
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Appreciate the feedback, guys and gals. I've read it all. I haven't been around here much because I'm heads down finishing up my contributions for volume 2 of Gods of Thrones, general planning for 2019, getting the new space ready, doing our taxes for 2018, compiling our Baldies lists for deliberation, and spinning up True Detective. Really hoping we can get moved in before any Groundhogs Day shenanigans, but we might have to rent a space or god forbid do it out of Jim's basement. We never have much of an opportunity to do big picture stuff once the year starts, and this promises to be an extra-packed year, so this focus on the behind the scenes time is precious to us.

But we're out of hibernation and I think 2019 will be better just from a quality of television standpoint as many have surmised, and I also think we're going to do new approaches to Bald Move TV and Bald Movies to better respond to what folks want to hear us talk about.

2018 with a lot of things being in a lull gave us some fantastic opportunities to experiment with new things, and a lot of those things didn't work out how we wanted them too. 2019 is shaping up to be more of a traditional year.
    BroRad33FlukesTravisSchluppChinaskiMichellecdrivebazjensterMFGBloodyTacoand 7 others.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2019
    (deleted, needed the quote for context)
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2019
    Dummy said:
    I will reiterate what I already said early on in the thread: let's not be defensive.

As a service designer, customer reseach is a big part of my daily job. And I know that spontanious, unsolicited feedback from customers, especially the negative stuff, is GOLDEN. It can give you valuable insight into why customers might be disengaging with you; information which you would otherwise have no way of finding out about (you can look at churn rates, but that only tells you how many people are leaving - not why)

Of course I can't know if the guys view it that way, but Aron seems to be welcoming the feedback, and not mind the thread title. Keep in mind that they receive many, many emails every week in which listeners express their appreciation for BM (which they choose not to read out loud during the podcast, because it would sound like autofellatio - I'm paraphrasing here)

I think it's great that OP took the time to list the things he was disappointed with this year. It just shows that he cares about the content, and probably also about BM as a company and a community.
    Who was being defensive? 
    For what it's worth, I did get a little defensive. Though I also noted that it wasn't really appropriate for me to do so.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Speaking of Groundhogs day. What if this year Jim and yourself watch birdbox wearing blindfolds. And everyone tuning in will...Also wear blindfolds.
    gguenotgiardinelloBroRad33hisdudeness915
  • sbench2 said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Speaking of Groundhogs day. What if this year Jim and yourself watch birdbox wearing blindfolds. And everyone tuning in will...Also wear blindfolds.
    And the money raised can be for a charity for the blind!
    Noel
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    gguenot said:
    sbench2 said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Speaking of Groundhogs day. What if this year Jim and yourself watch birdbox wearing blindfolds. And everyone tuning in will...Also wear blindfolds.
    We can finally get Billy in 4C a bird that’s alive!
    MurderbearFlukes
  • gguenot said:
    sbench2 said:
    We can finally get Billy in 4C a bird that’s alive!
    Lmfao
    calebthrower
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    Man I hate doing this because I love Jim and Aron but if I care about you guys I should give you feedback to help right?

I would say the single biggest mistake was not covering Atlanta season 2. Specifically the thing that bothered me was Aron saying on lunch something about thinking 2 white guys talking about the show wouldn’t accomplish much or something along those lines. I completely disagree, you are both very progressive and very intelligent, I really think you guys sold yourselves short and missed the best show of the year. 

i feel like the stuff I’m watching isn’t being covered by Bald move and you guys always use to cover almost everything I watched. Just some random examples (not saying you should cover these) but Birdbox, Dark, Atlanta, Marvelous Mrs Maisel. 

Last thing I’ll say is that when you guys do things like “season of the cage” check and see if any of the movies are streaming on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or somewhere. Having to bring out the DVD player or pay 2.99 for a rental makes me less engaged with the material. 

you guys cant help that Game of Thrones and many other big ticket shows were off the air this year but you can help all of the things I listed. 

Im looking forward to 2019 and True Detective season 3. 
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukesGiovanniElisa
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    @A_Ron_Hubbard  would you guys ever go back to finishing The Americans?  Phillip really wasn’t a kiddie fiddler
    Elisa
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited January 2019
    Just wanted to post some positive feedback and say that I’m really excited about the Bald Movies plan you guys discussed on the Into the Spiderverse pod. One of my favorite things to do is watch a film and then go search Bald Move for a companion pod. 
    Aww_PHuuCk