709 - New Business

Director: Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Tom Smuts and Matthew Weiner

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Smuts and Weiner lol
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    What a fantastic episode. I was complaining last week about having missed some drama, and BAM, great drama here. My mouth dropped open with Harry's come-on to Megan. Fucking creep to the end. And a lovely comedic finish with Don being the last person to find out about the emptied state of his home. Some metaphor there maybe?

I thought Peggy was going lesbian and the Stan-plan was out, but I think it's back on and entirely possible.
    AntManBeeThe_Third_Mansteph_b
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Oh, and I can't resist.... Diana. Die Anna. [Anna Draper]

Quick, someone tell me what that means.
    JDanger187The_Third_Manpavlovsbell
  • A very very bad day for Don Draper. 
  • Ive been listening to your various podcasts of the current golden age of television for a couple of years and I really enjoy both of you guys.  I have never taken the time to post anything to your forums but tonight I was reading on Reddit where some folks were complaining about "the Waitress" plot thread feeling awkward and out of place.  I thought I would share my take on the two episode Diana arc.

I think maybe the wiener is making a point about her social class and how Don reacts to it. When we see her the first time Don has just told a funny story about growing up in a whore house. Next he has pretty much prostitute sex with her. This episode as he tries to pull her into a deeper relationship the fact that he really is no longer "low class Dick" becomes an issue. I thought the scene with the Doctor and his wife in the elevator was terrific and then when he finally takes a verbal dump on on her apartment shows that there really is not any more "Dick" left in Don.  And isn't that one of the major themes that this show has been exploring for 7 seasons?
    AntManBeesteph_b
  • JaimieT said:

I thought Peggy was going lesbian and the Stan-plan was out, but I think it's back on and entirely possible.

I think the wiener has to have bigger plans for Peggy.  I will be disapointed if she ends up with stan.  

I was bummed that there was no mention of Peggy heading off to Paris with Boston lawyer.  I liked him and thought he would be a great pairing for Peggy in this final season.  
  • I got a wild hair and posted this to a reddit thread asking about how Madmen should end.   I have been thinking about this for a while but just got around to typing it up tonight.....

I would love to see a "6 feet under" style ending. This episode was a month in later than the first. I think it would be great if the wiener started making bigger and bigger jumps between episodes and then the last episode he jumps a few years every 15 minutes or so until its current day....

Imagine something like this... next episode, 7b3 has jumped to 1972, 7b4 jumps to 1974, 7b5 starts out in 1975 jumps in the middle to 1978. Then 7b6 jumps 3 times to 81, 91 and 1995. Then the last episode gathers it all together and jumps 5 or six times and gets us to today.

then the final 2 minutes is Peggy and her happy grand daughter visiting Don (who has alzheimer's) in an assisted living center watching the finale of Madmen in May 2015 and commenting on how the show ends.

And then Harry Crane comes in and serves em both a drink and looks in the camera, breaking the 4th wall and says...[1]  

MissMarylyn
  • Funniest moment of the episode: Betty wants to be a PSYCHOLOGIST!!!
    AntManBeepavlovsbellsteph_bhypergenesb
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    But @Amelia, people love to talk to her!
    AmeliaA_Ron_Hubbardksa1001steph_b
  • But @Amelia, people love to talk to her!

LOL, it's a good thing that empathy and self-awareness aren't that important for a psychologist.
    A_Ron_Hubbardpavlovsbellsteph_b
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This episode struck me funny.  I was getting restless until Marie hauled off all of Don's furniture.  I like that Dianne is more self aware than Don is, which is a nice change.  I also wonder how Don will handle paying Megan one million and then (from his point of view) she steals all of his furniture.

Fucking Harry.  This is why we don't like the guy.  Yeah, he's really, really good at his job, but he's a terrible human being, in a way that even Don isn't. I mean, and I fully realize this might come across a super sexists in the same way Roger's rant about how he gives women the good life and they should be grateful they got to ride along for as long as they do, BUUUTTTT... at least when Don takes advantage of a woman, she's getting Don Draper.  That's not nothing.  Harry takes advantage of you and you just get... Mr. Potato Head.  I don't know why Don doesn't come across as more predatory than he does, maybe it's his tragic backstory and the fact that he's more self aware?  I don't know.  Not looking like a human sack of white castle doesn't hurt either.
    ksa1001
    Don's reaction to Betty becoming a psychologist:

Megan was not wrong about Don, but did we have to have so much of her and her mother and sister?  That really dragged the episode down for me, but at least we got that out of the way.  Is Don going to be saying goodbye to all of the women he's been with?  
    AmeliaA_Ron_HubbardJayInMemphissteph_b
  • Amelia said:

Funniest moment of the episode: Betty wants to be a PSYCHOLOGIST!!!

Very, very respectfully disagree. Loved that plot tidbit and the Don reaction above...but either of Pete's "of course they'll love it" or "Jiminy Crickets" has to be the winner, right?

Many saying this was a terrible series of events for Don...I tend to disagree. He seems to have finally turned some major corners including not lashing back at Megan's tirade (even showing a modicum of self-awareness by saying 'you're right'), allowing Betty a moment, etc. He may be a rock bottom emotionally, but the literal and figurative emptiness can now be filled with something other than the material trappings of years past. Hoping it is his relationship with Sally.
    AntManBeeA_Ron_HubbardpavlovsbellAmeliasteph_b
    @The_Third_Man  I really hope that Diana's self-hating confession that she abandoned her surviving daughter is foreshadowing that Don will repair his relationship with Sally.  Hopefully this was the last attempt to repeat self-destructive behavior and Don is moving on now.
    steph_b
  • BUUUTTTT... at least when Don takes advantage of a woman, she's getting Don Draper.  That's not nothing.  Harry takes advantage of you and you just get... Mr. Potato Head.  I don't know why Don doesn't come across as more predatory than he does, maybe it's his tragic backstory and the fact that he's more self aware?  I don't know.  Not looking like a human sack of white castle doesn't hurt either.

Rule #1 - Be attractive
    Rule #2 - There is no rule #2
    Ameliaksa1001A_Ron_Hubbard

Fucking Harry.  This is why we don't like the guy.  Yeah, he's really, really good at his job, but he's a terrible human being, in a way that even Don isn't. I mean, and I fully realize this might come across a super sexists in the same way Roger's rant about how he gives women the good life and they should be grateful they got to ride along for as long as they do, BUUUTTTT... at least when Don takes advantage of a woman, she's getting Don Draper.  That's not nothing.  Harry takes advantage of you and you just get... Mr. Potato Head.  I don't know why Don doesn't come across as more predatory than he does, maybe it's his tragic backstory and the fact that he's more self aware?  I don't know.  Not looking like a human sack of white castle doesn't hurt either.

Don's lowest moments are pretty bad too, like the way he treated Allison, his secretary. However, Don seems to at least have the decency to feel miserable and self-destruct when he mistreats someone. Also, with Don being the protagonist, we get more insight into his motivations and reactions, so we tend to empathize with him more. Harry is more douchey looking than bad-looking. The actor looks cute IRL.

Don's reaction to Betty becoming a psychologist:

Megan was not wrong about Don, but did we have to have so much of her and her mother and sister?  That really dragged the episode down for me, but at least we got that out of the way.  Is Don going to be saying goodbye to all of the women he's been with?  

I'd watch a spin-off about Betty as a budding therapist. She could have Harry Crane, Pete Campbell, Roger Sterling, etc as patients. Better Don't Call Betty?

I love Megan's mother - she's a very entertaining terrible person. Megan's sister OTOH was too much, both a terrible person and boring.

steph_b
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

A very very bad day for Don Draper. 

Let's see...

Golf with Pete Campbell behind the wheel? Check

Losing all of his furniture? Check

Roger skeeting in his apartment? Check

Signing a 7 figure check for the ex? Check

Possible introduction of roaches to his empty apartment (he set his hat down in that rat-trap she called a home)  Check

You may be right sir.
    The_Third_ManAntManBeeA_Ron_HubbardAshleyOceansteph_b
  • I'm hoping that's the last we see of Diana the Waitress.  She's a downer, and it's too late in the game to be introducing new major characters.  I'd rather spend our few remaining Mad Men hours with Sally, Peggy, Roger, Pete, etc.

My favorite moments of the latest episode:  that awkward elevator ride with the Rosens, and lecherous Harry's lunch with Megan.

AntManBeeksa1001A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I think it is the last we'll see of her, @Teletype. She seems to have been Don's tour guide of sorts through all of his past transgressions and her quite on-the-nose doppelganger appearance to all but Betty. She has served her role in the story and I think we, and hopefully Don, can now move on.
    AntManBeesteph_b
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    @Teletype @The_Third_Man I agree about Diana. The inordinate amount of time on her backstory, the close out on her face in pain, I think she will have to be a closed chapter for Don to reflect upon at this point. Not only because there's only so much time left in the season.

There is a lot from her story for Don to think about. With Rachel dead as one "road less traveled," with the reference to how he doesn't see Sally "because she's in boarding school," and now being down another wife, a million bucks, and his entire apartment's interior, Don shoves into the final five episodes with all the money he needs but what else?

As much as anything, Mad Men has groped around the edges of a void all series. Into the abyss!
    steph_b
  • The headline is misleading (It's the NY Post after all), but the article is interesting. The actress provides some good insight into Di.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/13/actress-who-plays-new-mad-men-character-reveals-shes-a-killer/

Ameliasteph_bMissMarylyn

• Fucking Harry.

"You are every man's fantasy. You're like Ali
    MacGraw and Bridget Bardot had a baby. You should be the most famous person in
    the world right now"
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Listening to the podcast....

Is it possible that part of the reason for the trepidation/look back that Megan gave was because she was leaving her dear ol mother alone with the moving folk?
  • ksa1001 said:

Is it possible that part of the reason for the trepidation/look back that Megan gave was because she was leaving her dear ol mother alone with the moving folk?
    This was my thought...a bit of a racist twinge in Megan's chest.
  • ksa1001 said:

This was my thought...a bit of a racist twinge in Megan's chest.
    Ha! I actually went the other way with that.  Like leaving these poor strangers alone with Marie was cruel.
    The_Third_Manksa1001
    I haven't listened to the cast yet, but I read that look as Megan's last look at her former home, maybe a little sadness about the marriage ending.
    MissMarylynsteph_b
  • My frustration with this podcast (and also one of the GOOD things about it, too, actually) is that it proposes such CONVENTIONAL outcomes for these characters. Does everyone have to end up as part of a couple to be "happy"? (Happiness is fleeting after all...)  Does a person have to be Gay or Straight? Another frustration is that there's the expectation that a scene or relationship has to LEAD to something, or even HAVE a "context." The viewer is supposed to provide his/her own imaginary context; there are plenty of clues given. No one context or interpretation is going to be absolutely correct. For instance, the character of Pima (same name as a famous relatively contemporary European choreographer) is gender-bending (she's a predatory female), titillating, and authoritative. I agree that she did NOT "sleep her way" to the top, because the Art World isn't necessarily like that. She probably felt more free to exercise her proclivities as she rose in the Art World. It's really a power thing. Photographers have that; to wit: http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/06/terry-richardson-interview.html

Anyway... I have fine feelings for Diana, and will post more about that later.
    AntManBeeFlashGordonksa1001Amelia
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Get back to the island with that noise, man.  ;)
    FlashGordonsteph_bFrakkin T
  • davidjacobsdavidjacobs Portland, OR
    I was bored by this one. So much time with Diana, I don't care. I like seeing Don doing business stuff rather than relationship stuff. I always have. This new Diana character, not compelling. Are we ever going to see Don do a great pitch again? Is he ever going to have an interesting business idea again? Being forced to wrestle with his Dick Whitman identity would be fine, but we don't even get that. I don't know what they're doing with Don this last stretch but it sucks. 
    steph_b