709 - New Business

2»

Comments

• I was bored and disappointed too. Too much of Megan's family and this boring Diane. Everything seems to be kind of stagnating and I like to think that may be what Weiner is going for tonally. I am holding out hope tho that this will all end in a way that is satisfying. 
  • Listening to the podcast now, just want to throw it out there that the toothless comment from Stan to Pima was a reference to Diane Arbus for sure - or rather, a Diane Arbus-y type photographer who photographed fringe, borderline hideous, subjects. They even reference RISD when talking about her before she shows up (Diane Arbus taught there.)    Also have to 100% disagree w/Jim on the idea that Pima slept her way to the top - she is definitely not doing that!   SHe is confident and experimental and a little bit scary (to Peggy.)    I loved how Peggy felt so pleased with herself that Pima had come on to her before she realized she had already banged Stan in the darkroom.
    ok back to listening..  !! :)
  • JamesJames southern California
    Re: Megan.

Don is demonstrably everything Megan accused him of being. That said, he did not "ruin" her life. When he met her she was not a working actress, she was in the secretarial pool. When circumstances (Mrs. Blankenship's death) made her Don's secretary, she told him she was interested in the creative work and would like to learn more about it.

Call it flirting, call it flattery, she was angling for advancement (not necessarily romantic, perhaps as a copywriter) and I don't recall her talking about acting. It was after the marriage, her promotion to the creative team, and some success at this level that she told Don she didn't want to do it anymore. It may have been related to some brow-beating by her father, who criticized her for giving up on her acting dream to become a cog in the capitalist world. In the end, she asked Don to get her an audition for a commercial they were shooting.

Yes, Don began cheating on her with Sylvia (and probably others between seasons). Yes, he openly (and closed-mindedly) expressed his disapproval at some of the scenes in her soap-opera. And led her to believe that he would join her in California if she wanted to ply her trade out here. In other words, he was Don Draper.

But if he never came into her life, where would she have ended up? Perhaps she would have gone back into acting, but most who do end up doing what she was already doing, secretarial or service work, never successful enough to make a living. Her relationship with Don opened some doors for her that might not have been open otherwise.

From my perspective, at least in terms of her career, the only way in which Don ruined her life was by giving her the opportunity to pursue acting, thus allowing her to fail at it on her own. Without that opportunity, she might have lived out her life with the illusion that she could've been successful if only she'd had the chance.
    AntManBee