Aquaman - Anyone else watch it?

CoryCory New Scotland
edited December 2018 in Movies
We went to watch it yesterday, and I found it very DC like (ie: disappointing), but not absolutely terrible.

I didn't know much about the character going in (King of Atlantis, super strong, swim at super speed, possibly talk to marine life).

I'm not sure why but I was surprised the Atlanteans had... ships and energy weapons.

And I don't understand why there were fish and crab/lobster people.  They evolved differently after Atlantis sunk?

Parts of it reminded me of Black Panther.  The single combat fight to determine the King, the various... kingdoms I guess, reminded somewhat of the various tribes of Wakanda.  And of course having advanced technology, but that's a given, considering the myths.

Comments

• It was really corny and went on way too long but it was entertaining. I know it's probably a comic book thing but I was dying every time they talked about being "ocean master". There was an octopus playing the drums in a Little Mermaid ass underwater kingdom and Jason Mamoa never wears his shirt and has a guitar riff that plays as he looks into the camera after punching someone so this movie is ok.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I forgot about the drum playing octopus, it looked like it belonged in Jabba the Hut's canteen thingy, as it would fit better with 1980s puppets than it did 2018 CGI.

I thought Momoa was fine with the material he was given (better than he was the first time I saw him in a setting in Atlantis).

I'm still fuzzy on why only the highborn can breathe as well out of water as underwater, and why only he can seem to telepathically talk to (if not mind control) marine life.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2018
    Could we please correct the spelling of the title of this thread? It's giving me an OCD twitch every time I scroll though the forums  <span>:pensive:</span>

Edit: just noticed your location, sorry if I'm pushing an American-English spelling on you! 
    gguenotAww_PHuuCk
  • I am mostly off work this week, but can't gear myself up to see it. Nothing from previews or reviews have seemed positive enough to make me go. And it sucks, bc I haven't heard of any really good movies out this week.
  • MrX said:
    Could we please correct the spelling of the title of this thread? It's giving me an OCD twitch every time I scroll though the forums  <span>:pensive:</span>

Edit: just noticed your location, sorry if I'm pushing an American-English spelling on you! 
    The mad scientist in me wants to respell it Awkwaman now just to see what happens. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    MrX said:

You're not, I just have a genetic deficiency that forces me to put a 'c' in that word.  It's long been a bane of my spelling abilities.
    MrX
  • I finally ended up seeing it and was pretty bored by it.  Had it not been for Jason Momoa playing the part of Aquaman I think this movie would have been 100% trash.  It looked much better than all other post Nolan DC movies but in all honesty I don't think that was a very hard thing to do.