E-reader Suggestions

calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
I am considering switching to mostly electronic reading in 2019 for space and money but I don't have an e-reader. I know I can use the kindle app but I have about a 6 year old iPad mini that's  exhaustingly slow and I have the iPhone SE so the screen isn't great for reading either. I am considering the kindle paper white but wanted to get some opinions before I dove in. Which readers have the best battery life? Durability? I want a reader that will hold up over years. Thanks

Comments

• Unless you really want the backlit screen, I'd just get an older-gen kindle used. I have a 4th gen kindle that's still going strong and you can get em for like $30 on ebay, so you can decide if you like the form factor and using an e-reader without dropping $130 on a paperwhite. 
    JaimieT
  • I've used Kindles for years and love them. Read outside in the sun with no problem, no eye strain reading whatever their e-ink is called. All a matter of budget and features. The newer ones has excellent back light feature. The 1st version of the back light was crappy but since then is great. I believe the newest one allows seamless switching between audible and Kindle. Also if buying Kindle books look for the check box to get audible too at huge discount. Often I can get Kindle ebook with Audible added on for cheaper than just buying an Audible book.
    JaimieT
  • asmallcat said:
    Unless you really want the backlit screen, I'd just get an older-gen kindle used. I have a 4th gen kindle that's still going strong and you can get em for like $30 on ebay, so you can decide if you like the form factor and using an e-reader without dropping $130 on a paperwhite. 

yup the screen on the paperwhite is definitely better (higher ppi) and has the backlight, but if you just want something basic to read books on that will hold up and has great battery life, an older generation kindle is a big upgrade over reading on a tablet or phone screen. I've taken mine (5th generation Kindle, I got it for $20 on ebay) to the beach, camping, on many plane rides, etc. without any issues.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    asmallcat said:
    Unless you really want the backlit screen, I'd just get an older-gen kindle used. I have a 4th gen kindle that's still going strong and you can get em for like $30 on ebay, so you can decide if you like the form factor and using an e-reader without dropping $130 on a paperwhite. 

I probably have the same thing and it's still going strong too. As pretty as the paper whites look, I can't justify spending money on them until this one breaks.
  • edited December 2018
    I've got a Paperwhite (2nd gen) that's a few years old now. I like it. I had an e-ink Nook before the Paperwhite. I prefer the epub format to mobi, but not much of a choice if you decide you want a Kindle. I got my Paperwhite for a really good deal, it was special offer for around 50 dollars if I remember right.

Both of my e readers have had great battery life. I do like having an e-ink screen with a light, makes it much easier for reading at night. The other big advantage you mentioned is how much space it saves, as well as making it easier to read while laying down. 
  • Giovanni said:
    I've got a Paperwhite (2nd gen) that's a few years old now. I like it. I had an e-ink Nook before the Paperwhite. I prefer the epub format to mobi, but not much of a choice if you decide you want a Kindle. I got my Paperwhite for a really good deal, it was special offer for around 50 dollars if I remember right.

Both of my e readers have had great battery life. I do like having an e-ink screen with a light, makes it much easier for reading at night. The other big advantage you mentioned is how much space it saves, as well as making it easier to read while laying down. 

It's pretty easy to convert from epub to mobi and load onto a kindle using Calibre. Not as easy as buying something on Amazon and having it show up on your Kindle, but also not a huge hurdle if you like the Kindle hardware but want to get your books elsewhere.
    FlukesJaimieT
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My wife got a Kobo Touch for Christmas a few years back but she doesn't really use it, so I've assumed possession. It's not fast, but it's easy on the eyes and does everything I need it to. It even comes loaded with a passable Sudoku game.

I imagine some sort of light would be nice - something my Kobo doesn't have - but it really hasn't been an issue for me. 

MrX said:
    It's pretty easy to convert from epub to mobi and load onto a kindle using Calibre. Not as easy as buying something on Amazon and having it show up on your Kindle, but also not a huge hurdle if you like the Kindle hardware but want to get your books elsewhere.
    Calibre is awesome. It's free and open-source, with builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can even run it portable off a USB if you choose not to install it. Also does a great job converting between formats - so you can take any old PDF, convert it to mobi or epub and off you go.
    MrX