Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Spoilers)

I mentioned in the other thread that I've seen it and wasn't the biggest fan, but there were some branches that provided a good laugh. Watching Colin splat after jumping or being bludgeoned to death was pretty funny. The look on Stefan's face when you choose chop up the body made me laugh pretty hard.  I also laughed when Stefan was having Netflix described to him as "It's like your TV, but online". Anybody have else have some storylines or branches that they liked? 

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2018
    When does it end? I think I got to the end. Well, I got really excited when this started, but ultimately I have to give it a 7/10. What kept it from being really enjoyable was (1) I got bored with the repetition and (2) all this talk of control being in my hands and yet who had the control? Not me. I felt pushed along a particular path that I didn't want to take. I wish the film (or "film experience") had stuck with the concept of free will without it interacting with me, thematically. Once Stefan was talking to me it just got dumb, because I couldn't interact with him in any way that I wanted to, yet the film (or "film experience") assumed that was the case and that meaning should be derived from that. The concept of my life being beyond my control via an interface where someone else also has limited control, ehhh.

But, super cool, that moment when Stefan redoes the decision on how to work at the company and Colin has suddenly read Bandersnatch. I wish there'd been more of that sort of thing, perhaps us somehow being in competition with him using this interface. (And what if half of the audience was given Colin's storyline?) 
    DummyKela15
  • I just watched it and did the rewind thingy at the end a couple of times, but I don't think you can go back far enough to make the difference too big. Like JaimieT I really liked the loop-back things, like Colin having read Bandersnatch, so maybe there's more of that if I make different choices at the beginning? I wanna know if there's a way where the dad doesn't wind up dead, and also if there's a way to find out if PACS was real or just psychosis. I mean there's supposed to be 312 minutes of footage and I feel I've seen maybe a third of it (probably less with the repetitions).
    Tomorrow I'm rewatching with my brother and will let him make all the choices without giving away anything, really curious to see how different it will be.
    Dummy
  • I agree this was pretty messy plot wise and thematically, but I still had a really fun time with it. The Colin stuff and the Netflix branch were really entertaining.  I think I got the "good" ending, but it's hard to know for sure.  Maybe I'll make my roommate watch it to see how different it is.
    Dummy
  • Even though it's a dead end I love when you tell him it's Netflix talking to him
    Dummy
  • Love how his therapist is wearing the Red Blouse ala Netflix to be even more on the nose
  • JaimieT said:
    When does it end? I think I got to the end. Well, I got really excited when this started, but ultimately I have to give it a 7/10. What kept it from being really enjoyable was (1) I got bored with the repetition and (2) all this talk of control being in my hands and yet who had the control? Not me. I felt pushed along a particular path that I didn't want to take. I wish the film (or "film experience") had stuck with the concept of free will without it interacting with me, thematically. Once Stefan was talking to me it just got dumb, because I couldn't interact with him in any way that I wanted to, yet the film (or "film experience") assumed that was the case and that meaning should be derived from that. The concept of my life being beyond my control via an interface where someone else also has limited control, ehhh.

But, super cool, that moment when Stefan redoes the decision on how to work at the company and Colin has suddenly read Bandersnatch. I wish there'd been more of that sort of thing, perhaps us somehow being in competition with him using this interface. (And what if half of the audience was given Colin's storyline?) 
    Shit, I was worried about this. I couldn't get into the story enough to keep going, but that sounds like something better than I saw. I really didn't want to go back, but I might have to now. 
    Dummy said:
    JaimieT said:

Shit, I was worried about this. I couldn't get into the story enough to keep going, but that sounds like something better than I saw. I really didn't want to go back, but I might have to now. 

Yeah, IMO it's worth spending 90 minutes on. I keep wondering if my 7/10 rating is too high, but it's high because it was an interesting journey (if repetitive).
    Dummy
  • This is the best flowchart that I've seen so far. 

https://imgur.com/a/bQeXSYm#MI9G4jZ

darwinfeeshy
    Dummy said:
    This is the best flowchart that I've seen so far. 

I got the 5/5 ending.
  • JaimieT said:
    Dummy said:

I got the 5/5 ending.
    The only real endings I didn't get were leaving with mom and the one where Kitty shows up. The 5/5 ending was one of the earlier ones I got, but it didn't really feel complete even though the end credits played through them. I kept thinking there would be a happy ending somewhere. I apparently forgot which television show I was watching. 
  • Just wondering what kind of monster would pick Sugar Puffs??!  Frosties all the way!!
     :D 
    DummyCapeGabeKela15rkcrawf
  • Just wondering what kind of monster would pick Sugar Puffs??!  Frosties all the way!!
     :D 
    100% I would never progress if I had to pick Sugar Puffs. 
    April_May_June
    Dummy said:
    JaimieT said:
    Dummy said:

I got the 5/5 ending.
    The only real endings I didn't get were leaving with mom and the one where Kitty shows up. The 5/5 ending was one of the earlier ones I got, but it didn't really feel complete even though the end credits played through them. I kept thinking there would be a happy ending somewhere. I apparently forgot which television show I was watching. 

Yes, the fact that I was barred from a happy ending (even one where he doesn't finish his game on time) was the main reason it didn't feel like I had the control the show was implying I had.
    Dummytelephoneofmadness
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Cool concept but not for me. Wish they would’ve just given us the normal 6 episodes of a Black Mirror season. 
    JaimieT
  • edited December 2018
    It was fun. I didn't have to backtrack very much, and probably would've gotten bored if I had to backtrack too much. I got one jail ending (killed/buried dad, 2.5/5 Bandersnatch) and the meta-Netflix-action ending, which was definitely an experience.

I definitely don't want any more of this, but I enjoyed the novelty of Bandersnatch.
  • It was fun. I didn't have to back very much, and probably would've gotten bored if I had to backtrack too much. I got one jail ending (killed/buried dad, 2.5/5 Bandersnatch) and the meta-Netflix-action ending, which was definitely an experience.

I definitely don't want any more of this, but I enjoyed the novelty of Bandersnatch.
    Its a fad for sure but i can see other platforms trying replicating or even duplicating this idea. Its a fad, but so was Twitter and Instagram.
  • adobo1148 said:
    It was fun. I didn't have to back very much, and probably would've gotten bored if I had to backtrack too much. I got one jail ending (killed/buried dad, 2.5/5 Bandersnatch) and the meta-Netflix-action ending, which was definitely an experience.

Its a fad for sure but i can see other platforms trying replicating or even duplicating this idea. Its a fad, but so was Twitter and Instagram.
    I can see this becoming more popular considering you can’t pirate this type of movie experience. 
    gguenotJaimieT
    Hatorian said:
    adobo1148 said:
    It was fun. I didn't have to back very much, and probably would've gotten bored if I had to backtrack too much. I got one jail ending (killed/buried dad, 2.5/5 Bandersnatch) and the meta-Netflix-action ending, which was definitely an experience.

I can see this becoming more popular considering you can’t pirate this type of movie experience. 

Not currently. And you also need a special setup to watch it. It wouldn't work on my Chromecast, I had to plug my MacBook into my TV. $$ there too.

This could be like 3D tech, but it's more intrusive than even that...
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I had a lot of fun with this. the ending was kind of abrupt for me, but definitely an enjoyable experience. I think this interactive set up would be really fun with a horror movie. Hopefully Netflix does something like that!

Oh and it is confirmed that Black Mirror is releasing a season five sometime in 2019 still.
    gguenot
  • If you went down the Netflix path, anyone notice the Street Fighter Kicks if you chose to fight the the therapist?
    gguenot
  • Sorry to bump this but gave this a shot after listening to the podcast.

Did anyone else get the kind of dark Donnie Darko ending?  My girlfriend kept playing and choosing things after I had kind of lost interest and then all of a sudden we got a really bizarre and yet sad ending...I wanted to rewatch the ending since I hadn't really paid attention towards the end so I found it by searching for "bandersnatch toy ending" if anyone is interested.  I don't really know what decision(s) were key to this ending but we were watching for about 2 hours.

I feel like that's the "intended" ending for the story to wrap it up in a Black-mirror-ish way.
  • Zsa004 said:
    Sorry to bump this but gave this a shot after listening to the podcast.

Did anyone else get the kind of dark Donnie Darko ending?  My girlfriend kept playing and choosing things after I had kind of lost interest and then all of a sudden we got a really bizarre and yet sad ending...I wanted to rewatch the ending since I hadn't really paid attention towards the end so I found it by searching for "bandersnatch toy ending" if anyone is interested.  I don't really know what decision(s) were key to this ending but we were watching for about 2 hours.

I feel like that's the "intended" ending for the story to wrap it up in a Black-mirror-ish way.
    I assume you're referring to the one where he goes back in time through the mirror, places the toy under his bed and then decides to get on the train with his mother? My wife thought that was the most appropriate ending too. To get there you need to open the safe with the password Toy, and to get that option I think you need to talk to the physchiatrist about his mother. 
    MFG
  • I thought it was pretty clever and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I'm not sure whether or not it was "working" right for me. I seem to have gotten all the endings. I mean, at one point the credits started to roll but then I got more choices and it took me back into the story. And it did the "rewind" thing several times - when the little red circle starts spinning with loading percentage then the show would restart. I'm not sure if it was supposed to do that or if Roku was acting up. 

Several times I got the impression the story forced you to make a certain choice, otherwise you were stuck in a loop. I kept choosing "go out window" and every time it rewound until I finally picked another choice. 

It was weird but I liked it. I really got a kick out of telling Stefan I was controlling him through Netflix.
  • SteveOttsSteveOtts Rugby, UK
    Re: The podcast. I just wanted to point out that in the UK, Frosted Flakes are actually called Frosties (see International Names) and Sugar Puffs (now called Honey Monster Puffs for some godforesaken reason) are very similar to Honey Smacks, but are only available in the UK. So they are using the actual brand names as they are in the UK :)
  • edited January 14
    I basically felt he way the guys felt about this. Interesting idea, but I got really sick of the rewinds and felt really railroaded into certain plot points. I also didn't remotely care for Stephan because he was a very flat character. 
  • Am I the only one who feels like it sounds like a naughty word?
    MichelleKela15
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Am I the only one who feels like it sounds like a naughty word?
    (In Aussie accent) "Bandersnatch - Australian for hoohah"

Sorry @Dee :grin:
    DeeOldGriswoldKela15Jim
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle It probably is!
    OldGriswold