Okay, so let's do a Top 5/10/whatever you want for 2018

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited December 2018 in Gaming
It's the end of the year and I love talking games so let's see those lists! I'd prefer it if people stick with games released this year (ports or remasters are fine) but hey, it's your list, do whatever you want!

5. Subnautica - This survival game first captured my attention long ago when it was released in Early Access for PC. It FINALLY made its way to PS4 this past month. I put this on my list despite it not running very well on my base PS4. It keeps me coming back though with its satisfying loops of scavenging parts and blueprints and creating bigger and better tools, equipment, vehicles, etc. The base building works very well and it makes it easy to build the underwater base of your dreams. It's also nerve-wracking. Diving down too low, running out of food, water or air sucks! Not to mention all the scary ass beasts waiting below for you to swim too far into their territory and rip you or ship apart in no time.

4. Marvel's Spider-Man Wow, a good superhero game! Besides the Arkham games, they have been pretty few and far between in the last decade or so. But Spider-Man is gorgeous, tells a very competent and touching story, the fighting is very fun and engaging...it's almost a perfect package! I think the stealth missions got a bad wrap. They aren't as bad as people say but I can see why they weren't all very necessary. There is a late game one where you control MJ and Spider-Man is swooping in and taking out the baddies that is a ton of fun. There is very little fat on this game though. I loved every minute of it and can't wait for more!

3. God of War - I had very high hopes and this game absolutely delivered. The action is so much fun and the story was a million times better than I ever thought it would be. There is definitely something to be said about its handling of some female characters considering that there are essentially only two and one is dead before the game starts and the other, well, I don't want to spoil things here but I thought aspects of her could have been better but ultimately, really did love her character. However, there wasn't much this year that felt better than throwing that axe and then hearing it clunk around on anything in its path back to your giant calloused hands. A hand that wants to reach out to his BOY! but doesn't know how. I was legitimately surprised at how well they told this father son story and cannot wait to see where it goes!

2. Dead Cells - How the hell did this make it on MY list?? I am usually not a fan at all of rogue-like games but this one just called to me from the moment I first saw the game. The combat is precise and just feels amazing. When you die, you know it's your fault. The varied weapons and tactics give every run a unique feel and the hope that this could be the one you could take all the way to the top. Which I have yet to do. I've made it to the second to the last level and it was harrowing. I am so addicted to this game. It's absolutely that "okay, one more run before bed and then, oops, it's 2:30am" game. I have had so much fun with this game I considered giving it the top spot. It was the first game I played after tackling that beast and it was a perfect palate cleanser. Which leads me to my super surprising pick for number one...

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I mean, duh. Obviously. This game is a technical marvel and I legitimately do not understand how it runs so well even on my base PS4. The world that Rockstar has built is unparalleled and frankly, probably will be for years. Almost everything about this game is so top notch, it's not even fair to other games companies. The music, the graphics, the storytelling, the controls....wellll, maybe not that so much. I eventually got used to them but they do take lot of time to get super comfortable with them. You really, really have to put yourself in Arthur's boots and realize the context for every action before you do them.

This game is not for the impatient. You can't just go running or galloping through a crowded area and not expect their to be consequences for smashing into people. There is a deliberately slow pace to this game and world that is not for everyone, and I get that. But this game just absolutely hit everything I was looking for and then some. There is fat that that could be trimmed though for sure. Pretty much all of chapter 5 felt unnecessary but I still loved it. There were so many side missions in Chapter 6 though that I could not believe how much emotion they brought out in me. So unbelievably well done that I was just blown away.

There is also a lot to be said for the world itself. Never have I played a game that just BEGS for you to really inhabit the role of a character like this one. I found myself eating and sleeping just because that's what I felt like Arthur would and should be doing. You don't have to go to bed every night, but it felt like it was the right thing to do. I loved going on days long hunting trips and finally coming back to camp and some walks up and says hi and how much they've missed you. It's just a mountain of little tiny details that make this one of the best games I have EVER played. There is really nothing like it and I hope you get to experience it and love it in the same way.

Some pretty mainstream choices, I know but these are the games that I loved the most this year so now I want to hear yours!
darwinfeeshyFlukes

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    warriors
    burritos
    sneakers
    a's
    bears
    MurderbearrusskellycdriveHatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @Chinaski When you say bears, you mean this game, right?
    MichelleChinaskiFlukesHatorian
  • MichelleMichelle California
    That game is screaming @A_Ron_Hubbard name!  
    Murderbear
    @Chinaski When you say bears, you mean this game, right?
    correct sir! my #1 of 2018, hands down!
    Murderbear
  • 1. Bears
    2. Bears
    3. Bears
    4. Bears
    5. Bears

prediction for next weeks game. 

Da Bears 152
    Eagles 0

ChinaskiDummy
    Hatorian said:

prediction for next weeks game. 

Da Bears 152
    Eagles 0

at halftime!
    DummyHatorian
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2018
    As a Patriots fan, I'll just say to all y'all Bears fans - don't underestimate "big dick Nick" Foles. He'll tear your heart out and feed it to Gritty and the Phillie Phanatic.
    Underwood
  • edited January 1
    5. Celeste
    4. Guacamelee 2
    3. Spider-Man
    2. Smash Bros. Ultimate
    1. Red Dead 2

Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Party, Dead Cells

God of War and AC: Odyssey are great, but I just started playing them.
    Murderbearrusskelly
  • My top five everything of this past year are as follows:

(In No Particular Order)

The Good Place, “Janet(s)”

Getting to play a demo of Kingdom Hearts III at a pop-up in Disney springs

Watching “Battleship Potemkin” for the first time

Getting my 3-year-old son a lightsaber and Batman the animated series vol 1

CBS reality being lit this year with Celebrity Big Brother, Big Brother 20, and Survivor David vs Goliath, all three definitely cracking top ten of each series.
  • Top 5 games I wish I had the time/budget to play in 2018

5. Astro Robot Rescue
    4. That new Hitman
    3. The new DLC for Hearts of Iron IV and Crusader Kings II
    2. Into the Breach
    1. Red Dead 2
    Murderbeardarwinfeeshy