True Detective Season 3 Reviews Coming In

edited January 3 in Other TV
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/true-detective-season-3-review-774278/

The first I have seen so far. Sort of a mixed bag for them. What does everyone think?

Comments

• edited January 4
    Sepinwall makes a point there that a lot of the fascination with the first series was due to the visual style of a single director, and the second season didn't have either, so it's disappointing to read that this season is lacking a remarkable style, as well. I disagree a little that the story was thin, so I still hope this will be a compelling story.  Anyway, I'm still gonna watch it no matter what the reviews.
    Elisanstinson
  • "Ultimately, the franchise’s most important creative voice has turned out not to be Pizzolatto, nor any of his famous stars, but Cary Joji Fukunaga"

That's the quote from the article that resonates with me a lot, but when I really think about it I'm not sure I actually do agree with it... What I loved about Season 1 was Russ and Marty, and the idea that something huge, sinister, and perhaps supernatural was at work. The visuals were stunning and definitely helped, but to me it was the dialog and the mystery (not pumped about the ending but it was...ok). And also the internet sleuthing. That was really fun. It was a fun upward vortex of a good show making people want to investigate, which made people like the show more, which made people investigate more. I never hopped on the Lost train so it was fun diving in with this, GoT, and Westworld.

The article makes it seem like we might get another Russ in Ali, but not another Marty. The interaction gold seems like that part of Marty is going to be two characters: Ejogo and Dorff, and to a lesser satisfaction.

But I'll be watching. 
    Elisa
  • Season 1's teasing that supernatural stuff was going on was the main draw for me. That demonic atmosphere. There was this Lovecraftian sense of, "Oh shit, what's going to happen if the cult manages to complete all these rituals?" I was really disappointed when they abandoned that in season 2. I wanted to learn more about the cult, and see tentacles and demon babies flying out of stargates.
    Elisanstinson
  • No mention of Vince Vaughan so I say the show is starting off right. 
    Elisanstinson
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Dummy said:
    No mention of Vince Vaughan so I say the show is starting off right. 
    I totally forgot about that and now I'm having flashbacks
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 4
    Season 1 was a perfect storm of acting and directing prowess. You had a visionary director and two mesmerising (one particularly) lead actors, with a bunch of really good character actors. The writing itself, if you take all that out, was kind of silly and overwrought. 
    Elisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Dee said:
    Season 1 was a perfect storm of acting and directing prowess. You had a visionary director and two mesmerising (one particularly) lead actors, with a bunch of really good character actors. The writing itself, if you take all that out, was kind of silly and overwrought. 
    The writing isn't great in retrospect but it got a ton of benefit of the doubt cause everything else was almost perfect so I wasn't even really thinking about it. The mood and the acting really carried some of the overly dramatic nonsense.
    Elisadjcaudle01
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @bizmarkiefader Oh, same. I was totally into the first season, still am. But if I’m being objective, the writing was the weakest part. 
    Elisanstinsondjcaudle01