Watchmen Hype

I'm dying I want this show to be great SOOOOOO bad. The HBO trailer had me nuts...I had to tell someone. So much can go wrong. Now Im worried!
alexander.klassen

Comments

• edited January 7
    I’ve never seen the movie, should I wait?
  • You should def read the graphic novel. That is a must. I really enjoyed the movie but from what I can tell the spirit of this thing comes from GN.
    Dummy
  • There's an animated Watchmen graphic novel that is quite good.  Not sure why it's up on Youtube, but it appears that a lot of it is.  
    OpusWho
  • They are a good jumping off point for basic story but so much world building is in the sections before and after each chapter in all the supplemental material...forgive my nerdy completism(?) not sure thats a word :#
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    OpusWho said:
    They are a good jumping off point for basic story but so much world building is in the sections before and after each chapter in all the supplemental material...forgive my nerdy completism(?) not sure thats a word :#
    Did you ever watch the movie with the animated Black Freighter stuff inserted? I know thats not the entirety of what you are talking about, but it was a good nod to that material.
    OpusWho
  • Yup...I bought all those one off DVDs. The ‘ultimate’ cut adds that in and gets to about 4 hours. But THAT is also the kind of stuff im talking about...says so much about mood
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    OpusWho said:
    They are a good jumping off point for basic story but so much world building is in the sections before and after each chapter in all the supplemental material...forgive my nerdy completism(?) not sure thats a word :#
    Did you ever watch the movie with the animated Black Freighter stuff inserted? I know thats not the entirety of what you are talking about, but it was a good nod to that material.
    I've never been able to tolerate that black freighter stuff.  I've tried to re-read those parts several times, but I just found it incredibly boring. 

I think that kills a lot of people when they try to read the book. I tell people to skip it entirely their first pass through the story. 
    OpusWho
  • So this property was kinda ready out the gate for TV rather than a movie?
    So this property was kinda ready out the gate for TV rather than a movie?
    I don't know, the movie is really straight up the book minus the black freighter stuff.  

That what was so strange.  People love the book and then complained that the movie was too much like the book. 

The show looks like its almost a sequel or bounces around in time IMO.
    OpusWho
  • rhcoop said:
    I don't know, the movie is really straight up the book minus the black freighter stuff.  

That what was so strange.  People love the book and then complained that the movie was too much like the book. 
    I thought the complaints (that I remember anyway) focused on how the ending strayed from the graphic novel. That being said I liked the new reimagining of the ending. 

Also stoked for this. 
    OpusWho
  • The main problem with the movie that was different from the book is in the book Dr Manhattan is the only one that actually has superpowers and everyone else is dressing up. The movies made everyone have super speed and power. It's strange that someone who said they loved the book so much and wanted to shoot it all missed one of the main points. Stuff like that make me wonder how much Hollywood suits meddled and made him do that
  • I always took it in both (book & movie) that everyone was just über well trained except for Veit who had maybe been enhanced somehow and all the other slowmo were superhero movie shots of the day and Snyder trying to get a panel for panel matches. The ending change made sense to me as it worked on a more global scale. PS- no one wants to hear Leonard Cohen’s own version of “Halleujiah”. no one.
    gguenotZsa004
    Zsa004 said:
    rhcoop said:

I thought the complaints (that I remember anyway) focused on how the ending strayed from the graphic novel. That being said I liked the new reimagining of the ending. 

Also stoked for this. 
    The movie ending was different from the book by the method of Ozymandias' ultimate goal, but I mean it got to the same place.  I don't remember many people in my comic shop batting an eye that they changed the ending from the book.  

That ending came almost out of left field in the book, it would have confused the hell out of the average movie goer IMO. 
    OpusWho
  • rhcoop said:
    Zsa004 said:
    rhcoop said:

Also stoked for this. 
    The movie ending was different from the book by the method of Ozymandias' ultimate goal, but I mean it got to the same place.  I don't remember many people in my comic shop batting an eye that they changed the ending from the book.  

That ending came almost out of left field in the book, it would have confused the hell out of the average movie goer IMO. 
    It's been awhile since I read the book, but weren't there several passages about the "movie" being made and the crazy special effects that ended up being the alien used for the attack in new york? I won't say I guessed the ending, but as soon as it was revealed I thought "yeah, that all tracks."

Also, my main problem with the ending of the movie vs the comic book was that Dr Manhattan was an american in the world's eyes, so there's be no reason an attack by him would unify the world in the way that an alien attack would. So the plan didn't make any sense for someone as smart as Ozy if it's Dr. Manhattan instead of aliens.

Also, I think I read Watchmen too late (I think I was 22 or 23 and it was 2007-2008). I enjoyed it fine, but didn't think it was saying anything novel or deep, which was probably because it had influenced lots of stories in the preceding 20 years that I had already read or seen. 
  • asmallcat said:
    rhcoop said:
    Zsa004 said:
    rhcoop said:

Also stoked for this. 

It's been awhile since I read the book, but weren't there several passages about the "movie" being made and the crazy special effects that ended up being the alien used for the attack in new york? I won't say I guessed the ending, but as soon as it was revealed I thought "yeah, that all tracks."

Also, my main problem with the ending of the movie vs the comic book was that Dr Manhattan was an american in the world's eyes, so there's be no reason an attack by him would unify the world in the way that an alien attack would. So the plan didn't make any sense for someone as smart as Ozy if it's Dr. Manhattan instead of aliens.

Also, I think I read Watchmen too late (I think I was 22 or 23 and it was 2007-2008). I enjoyed it fine, but didn't think it was saying anything novel or deep, which was probably because it had influenced lots of stories in the preceding 20 years that I had already read or seen. 
      Anything that focuses the planet against an existential threat would probably be all that was needed, and Dr. Manhattan was really unstoppable.

I don't know, there are stories influenced by Watchmen, but for example how often do characters like Batman or the Punisher actually get shown making a mistake?  Vigilantes are fantastic when they punish the right people.... not so much when they devolve into overauthoritarian crackpots like Rorschach, for instance.
  • I just find it unbelievable that Russia during the cold war would have suddenly sided with the US because a US weapon, which is how they would have seen him, went rogue and attacked NYC.

I can't think of any specific examples right now, but I guess generally I found the main thrust of Watchman was showing deeply flawed protagonists that actually crossed the line into being evil, which has become much more common in TV/movies in the last 20ish years in my experience. 
  • I thought the point of Watchmen was that these were what heroes such as Superman, Batman and Captain America (The Comedian) would actually be like given their powers and situations they were put in in their comic books.

asmallcat said:

I can't think of any specific examples right now, but I guess generally I found the main thrust of Watchman was showing deeply flawed protagonists that actually crossed the line into being evil, which has become much more common in TV/movies in the last 20ish years in my experience. 

• I thought the point of Watchmen was that these were what heroes such as Superman, Batman and Captain America (The Comedian) would actually be like given their powers and situations they were put in in their comic books.

asmallcat said:

As someone who, admittedly, is not a huge comic book fan, that specific message may not have resonated as strongly with me as with an avid comic reader. 
    OpusWho
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'm totally fine with this. I want Lindelof to have as much freedom as he needs to tell his story. I have some real problems with Snyder's Watchmen (mostly just him not quite understanding tonal stuff that I think Moore was conveying in his book), but overall it is about as accurate a representation of that story as we could really hope to get. I'd rather Lindelof spend his time on something that gives him creative freed and not to feel tied to adapting an already adapted story. 
    OpusWho
  • I have some real problems with Snyder's Watchmen (mostly just him not quite understanding tonal stuff that I think Moore was conveying in his book)
    Perfect.