Spider-verse Review

edited January 10 in Movies
Hey guys, not sure about the anime girl, but Spider-Ham, Spider-man Noir, and Spider-Gwen are EACH established characters to varying degrees. 

Spider “dad” (Peter B. Parker) is essentially Parker if he was never “retconned” in the comics (“One More/Brand New Day”). Too much history makes him boring, incapable of being imagined as a 20something guy who isn’t married. He’s gone through every writer who tries to do something new (“maybe if we divorce him from MaryJane, people will care).

The Chris Pine version is the “peak” Parker: he’s at the top of his game (10 years). He’s an adult, but only about 25, likely unmarried—he’s got stories yet to tell.

Noir SM was part of a whole “noir universe,” revisions of Marvel content set in a noir setting. Some like it, but I felt a hard-boiled SM seems too against-type, but he’s popular.

Gwen does NOT, nor does any version, become Black Cat (that’s Felicia Hardy, the only female comic character  I have a literal crush on). 

However,  Spider-Gwen is, if I’m not mistaken, an actual character in an ongoing Marvel series titled “Spider-Gwen,” though her code name in the comic, I think, is Spider-woman. 

And in the 70s, real spider man legit had a dune buggy. Look it up. 

Oh, and Spider Dad is the tech guy in JP4, wearing the JP1 logo shirt, claiming “the original park was better.” He’s pretty good in most stuff, and he nailed this.

Also, It’s pronounced John Mul-AAA-knee, not Mul-an-E

Anyway, great coverage. Glad you guys liked it. It was everything I love in a 2 hour package.

A_Ron_Hubbard

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    luongod said:

Gwen is NOT, nor does any version, become Black Cat (that’s Felicia Hardy, the only female comic character  I have a literal crush on). 

There's some great Black Cat stuff in the DLC for the recent Spider-Man game on PS4. Easily the best part of the story in my opinion.
    luongod
  • DLC? Sorry. Not a gamer. It is the one major hole in my geek cred.
  • To add to @luongod post, Anime Spider-Girl does exist in the comics but other than the crossovers she only appeared in a couple one-shot issues. 

Thanks for the review guys!
    luongod
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited January 11
    I'll be damned. I'd lost a lot of money wagering there is no way Peni Parker was real. Very cool concept, though!

Edit: Holy shit, Spider-Man's gotten way weirder than I could have imagined since I quit reading him!
    Aww_PHuuCkluongod
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I'll be damned. I'd lost a lot of money wagering there is no way Peni Parker was real. Very cool concept, though!

Edit: Holy shit, Spider-Man's gotten way weirder than I could have imagined since I quit reading him!
    One thing you need to know too is that while they have had 2 into the spiderverse crossovers in the comics (one is going on right now I think), Marvel basically has a multiverse now like DC has with multiple earths and multiple versions of spider-man.  So while they have crossed paths, spider-ham, spider-gwen and noir spiderman are in their own realities unless something just recently changed in the last few months.

Miles was the second Spider-man introduced into the ultimate marvel line and that was around or right after they killed off the ultimate peter parker spider-man. I think that is the one we see at the beginning of the movie.  

Then marvel decided to kill their ultimate universe and basically the only character that moved over to the main 616  Marvel universe other than some random x-men characters was the Miles Morales Spider-man.

I agree with luongod and Spider-dad is really the character from another  alternate reality where Marvel never screwed up the MJ Peter marriage and he and his wife and daughter all have spider-powers.  That series is called Renew Your Vows. 

That's not even bringing up the version of Spider-Man where Doc Ock switched brains with Peter and took over being the superior Spider-Man. 

Peter got better though and right now in the main 616 you have Miles as Spider-Man, but Peter is still the main line Spider-man for Marvel, regardless of what Joe Quesada says. 
    luongod
  • Yeah, I was so disappointed with how Quesada handled “One More Day,” but I will be first to admit that Dan Slott’s run on the book should go down as one of the very best the character has ever had. The story before “Superior Spider-Man” is heartbreaking, as well as, as far as I’m concerned, the  quintessential story for the modern Spider-Man. It takes the whole power and responsibility thing to the next, next level.
    rhcoopAww_PHuuCk
  • Also on the PDNY thing, that was done as a way to indicate this is another universe. If you ever watch it again, a fun thing to look out for is where the film changed the name of many things. Like Coca-Cola is Koca-Soda, Fedex is Redex, Shaun of the Dead is From Dusk to Shaun.

Of course some things stay the same like Nike and hilariously of course Sony is still Sony, as evidenced by Miles' headphones. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    luongod said:
    Yeah, I was so disappointed with how Quesada handled “One More Day,” but I will be first to admit that Dan Slott’s run on the book should go down as one of the very best the character has ever had. The story before “Superior Spider-Man” is heartbreaking, as well as, as far as I’m concerned, the  quintessential story for the modern Spider-Man. It takes the whole power and responsibility thing to the next, next level.
    Quesada is just stubborn about the MJ Peter marriage.  That entire story and the "its magic, you don't have to explain it" is about the laziest deus ex machina I've every read.

But he's also the editor that signed off on a whisper making Thor unworthy of his hammer :/
    Aww_PHuuCk