Resident Evil series fantasy reboot

I was talking today with some coworkers about how bad the original film series of Resdient Evil (and all video game movies for that matter) are terrible and what should be done about this. 

One of of us had the idea that Disney should stop making Marvel movies after endgame and start adapting video games, but I had a great idea: reboot the Resident Evil Series starting with a Resident Evil 2 adaptation directed by John Carpenter! Imagine Escape from New York, The Thing, and Resident Evil rolled into one. Hell, get rid of Leon and put Snake in as the main character. 

What do you think? Any other video games you’d like to see adapted by certain directors?

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The Netflix Castlevania adaptation is really good and I think gives an outline for other video game adaptations to follow. What works about it is it has some recognizable characters and imagery, but the story is so loose in the game that you aren't expecting any specific story beats other than "fight dracula" so they wrote their own original story and added any characters or settings they'd need to make it work.

It's tricky because so many of the games that people want to adapt are story driven narrative games that it would be much harder to do this with. Like if you tried to make a Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid movie you're either retelling the story from the game in an extremely condensed way that nobody will be happy with, or you make something so different that people don't get what they wanted from their Mass Effect movie and those resources probably would be been better served by doing something original. Maybe the answer is video game TV shows rather than movies? TV has a lot more leeway to shift course and find and expand on what works, you don't have to lay out exactly where you're going up front which would be really useful when trying to adapt games. I'm really curious to see how The Witcher turns out.
    Walnut FreyMurderbear
  • The Netflix Castlevania adaptation is really good and I think gives an outline for other video game adaptations to follow. What works about it is it has some recognizable characters and imagery, but the story is so loose in the game that you aren't expecting any specific story beats other than "fight dracula" so they wrote their own original story and added any characters or settings they'd need to make it work.

It's tricky because so many of the games that people want to adapt are story driven narrative games that it would be much harder to do this with. Like if you tried to make a Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid movie you're either retelling the story from the game in an extremely condensed way that nobody will be happy with, or you make something so different that people don't get what they wanted from their Mass Effect movie and those resources probably would be been better served by doing something original. Maybe the answer is video game TV shows rather than movies? TV has a lot more leeway to shift course and find and expand on what works, you don't have to lay out exactly where you're going up front which would be really useful when trying to adapt games. I'm really curious to see how The Witcher turns out.
    That is a really good point: a video game tv show adaptation makes a lot more sense. I can honestly see metal gear solid as an HBO miniseries with directors borrowed from game of thrones, true detective, and westworld. 

My dream is to see a GREAT Resident Evil adaptation or Silent Hill. 
  • Whoa, I remembered Resident Evil being way better than it is. I guess that was before The Walking Dead slaked my zombie thirst.

The X-COM games by... Alex Garland? Like Annihilation but more action-packed.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @telephoneofmadness A scene with a solider and alien next to each other, pausing for a second, unloading a ton of rounds right into the alien's face only to find out it missed and get stabbed to death by the alien a few seconds later.
    Walnut Frey