True Detective Season 3 General Discussion

Listened to the intro podcast.  
I'm not sure True Detective is even the most hard boiled show on TV right now

Are people going to be disappointed if this is fancy HBO take on a non-occult Justified storyline, rather than the quasi-mystical / secret society stuff of Season 1 and 2?   Other than the Klan, I wonder what secret societies might even operate in the Ozarks that isn't some sort of criminal gang or family.

Comments

• I've been meaning to watch Bosch, just been a casualty of limited time for me. I think I'd like it, from what I've seen.

I won't be disappointed if it's just a straight up detective story, without the psychosphere stuff.   While that stuff enhanced the first season, it definitely felt forced and a little silly in season 2.  What made the first season shine was the great character development of Rust and Marty, as well as the dynamic of their relationship. I'm hoping for a return to form, in that regard. 

Aside question - have @Jim or @A_Ron_Hubbard said if they're doing instant takes for this season at all?  Hoping for a couple instant takes tonight!
  • MichaelG said:
    I've been meaning to watch Bosch, just been a casualty of limited time for me. I think I'd like it, from what I've seen.

I won't be disappointed if it's just a straight up detective story, without the psychosphere stuff.   While that stuff enhanced the first season, it definitely felt forced and a little silly in season 2.  What made the first season shine was the great character development of Rust and Marty, as well as the dynamic of their relationship. I'm hoping for a return to form, in that regard. 

Aside question - have @Jim or @A_Ron_Hubbard said if they're doing instant takes for this season at all?  Hoping for a couple instant takes tonight!

Bosch is a great detective show. Rarely strays to the crazy unbelievable stuff.
  • Yeah, and I think it really picks up after the first season.  A few mis-steps here and there, but a real good watch.  I'm reading the first book in the series now as well...

CapeGabe said:
    MichaelG said:
    I've been meaning to watch Bosch, just been a casualty of limited time for me. I think I'd like it, from what I've seen.

CapeGabe
  • Yeah, and I think it really picks up after the first season.  A few mis-steps here and there, but a real good watch.  I'm reading the first book in the series now as well...

CapeGabe said:
    MichaelG said:

I too just started reading the books, I just finished the 1st one. It seems to line up mostly with Season 3 but is very different. I like the show a little better than the books which is strange for me. I think the minor characters seem more fleshed out on the show, also strange.

I understand how they had to change him to a Gulf veteran but the Vietnam tunnel rat stuff in the book is good.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 15
    So far the writing isn't actually doing a lot for me in this first book either, he's no Raymond Chandler, Ross McDonald or James Ellroy at this point.  I wonder if it improves later in the series.

Have you seen the Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConaughey?  Tha'ts another one of Connelly's characters and that was an entertaining movie.  

CapeGabe said:

I too just started reading the books, I just finished the 1st one. It seems to line up mostly with Season 3 but is very different. I like the show a little better than the books which is strange for me. I think the minor characters seem more fleshed out on the show, also strange.

I understand how they had to change him to a Gulf veteran but the Vietnam tunnel rat stuff in the book is good.

• Are people going to be disappointed if this is fancy HBO take on a non-occult Justified storyline
         Not even close my dude. With a comment like that, it makes me wonder if you're even watching and if you're watching, if the sound is on, and if the sound is on, if you don't have a chainsaw running in the background, and if...
  • Or it simply could have been written before the show aired....

pneiman1 said:
    Are people going to be disappointed if this is fancy HBO take on a non-occult Justified storyline
         Not even close my dude. With a comment like that, it makes me wonder if you're even watching and if you're watching, if the sound is on, and if the sound is on, if you don't have a chainsaw running in the background, and if...