Favorite Pop Culture Heroes and Villains?

Hi all! I'm currently working on a research project and looking for some feedback from audiences on their favorite heroes and villains and why they love (or love to hate) them. 

This IS NOT limited to superheroes/comics, but you can certainly include those characters--I know my faves live in the Marvel universe.

So, awesome Bald Move nerds--who do you love/hate and why?

Comments

• I think the best villain in terms of generating pure hatred from me is Delores Umbrige.  I can't imagine ever hating a character more.  As far as villains that I enjoy watching, or sympathize with, I would go with Spike, The Mayor, or Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gus Fringe, Al Swearingen, and Thanos.

Favorite hero is probably Captain America.  I tend to enjoy the classic uncompromising, undaunted hero types.  Of course, shows only have antiheroes now, so I can't think of any other examples.  
    gguenotbnh0012MurderbearTravis
  • Ramsay Bolton/Snow— love to hate that prick

Michellebnh0012BroRad33
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 15
    Villains:
    Pete Campbell from Mad Men.  Everything he did was self-serving and he really did some underhanded, crappy and even despicable things.  For a while, you just really hate the guy.  On the other hand, when you look at his relationship with his parents and you see how he's just striving to have something that's truly his own, and you see him at the end of the series and you see his genuine love for Trudy and their daughter, you realize you actually love to hate him.

Ben Linus from Lost.   Another story of a man who had a rough childhood.  He grew up on a remote island, eventually became the leader of the Dharma Initiative/'the Others', kept Juliet there against her will and orchestrated the death of her lover because he himself actually loved her (selfish), tormented the Losties, etc.  He believed he was the one chosen to take over for Jacob and was devastated to learn he wasn't the one.   You love to hate the guy.  Michael Emerson's expert portrayal of the character is a big part of that.  "... you guys got any milk?"  (Lost fans will get that.)

Heroes:
    Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones.  A guy who was not loved much by his father or siblings, turned to booze and Westerosi hookers, and honestly didn't have much promise - but who turned that around, rose above and mended (for the most part) his relationship with his brother, and partnered with Daenerys to help her in her quest to rule the land.  A lot of other stuff happened in between all of that, but he fights for good and honor and I would want him on my side.
    (Runner-up from Game of Thrones:  Brienne of Tarth)

Jack Pearson from This is Us.  He grew up with an alcoholic father who verbally and (it's been suggested) physically abused him and his younger brother, who he protected throughout his entire life - including voluntarily going to Vietnam when his brother was drafted, just so he could look out for him.  He loved and married one woman, and raised triplets with her (adopting an abandoned baby after their third child was stillborn).  He devoted himself to his family despite becoming an alcoholic - but he overcame that and continued to be an amazing husband and father, until he died of a heart attack after inhaling too much smoke while trying to save the family dog from their house fire.   His life lessons and the love he gave them are still at the forefront of his family's minds and his impression will be forever lasting.
    gguenotbnh0012
  • Heroes

Spiderman - smart kid with a fun personality. probably has the greatest line in comic history. Also he was my first superhero growing up. "with great power comes great responsibility"

Batman - besides being rich he has no superpower. showing what normal humans are capable of. 

Villains 

Darth Vader - first time i saw him my mouth dropped and i was in love with star wars from there on

Also, these guys. straight heroes of the sky. protecting us from terries...

for those who havent seen the skit....

Corycdrivebnh0012
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Batman/Joker will always be my favorite hero/villain dynamic
    bnh0012
  • Pre-explanation of his backstory Boba Fett.  
    "No disintegrations" indeed!
    bnh0012
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Hero- Walter White. He learned he had a cancer and heroically stepped up and did what he had to do to provide for his family.

Villain- Walter White. Once getting a little taste of power and money, he became obsessed with building his empire. He would crush anyone in the way and not care at all. Even hurting those who he perceived as a potential obstacle just so could ensure he would get his way.
    gguenotbnh0012
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Batman is my favorite character in any medium.

Superman, Cap and the Flash are my other favorite comic characters.

Vader is the best villain in any medium IMO.

Indiana Jones/Han Solo is my favorite movie protagonist that not counting the ones above.  They are basically the same character.
    bnh0012
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited January 15
    Villains...

3. Ivan Drago (Rocky IV)
    2. Darth Vader (Star Wars)
    1. Lucas (The Wizard)
    bnh0012
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    can i vote villian for the POTUSA?

MichelleMurderbearNoelgguenotbnh0012
  • The first hero/villian combo I thought of was Ron Swanson and Tammy from Parks and Rec. Such a hilarious and over the top pair. Best moment is when Ron shows up after a bender with corn rows and a partially missing mustache. Haha
    bnh0012
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 15
    Chinaski said:
    can i vote villian for the POTUSA?

^^^THIS ALL DAY

Chinaskibnh0012
  • Villain: Walter White. I think his Darth Vaderesque fall from average Joe is what does it for me.
    bnh0012
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    If you’re looking for a deeper dive into villains, check out Shea Serrano’s pod. He did eight for the first season, picked villains from various films. Also does an additional pod for a Q&A.
    Travisbnh0012
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 15
    Noel said:
    If you’re looking for a deeper dive into villains, check out Shea Serrano’s pod. He did eight for the first season, picked villains from various films. Also does an additional pod for a Q&A.
    Cosign! Great pod.

For my part, I'm sure that I'll miss some great ones, but here are some off the top of my head

Villains
    The Universe - The Leftovers
    Hannibal Lechter
    John Doe from Se7en
    Boyd Crowder from Justified
    Mags from Justified
    Gary OIdman's bad cop in The Professional
    I like that someone brought up Mullally's Tammy from Parks and Rec
    Walternate (Fringe)
    Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files
    The Nightmare from Riverbottom (Emmitt Otter's Jug Band Christmas)
    Lucifer from Supernatural (about 2/3 the time. In fairness to the Supernatural folks they've been on for like 15 years and it won't always be great)

Heroes
    Hiro from Heroes comes right to mind (wonder why? Ha!) I love that guy!
    Raylan fuckin Givens
    Leslie Knope
    Arya Stark
    John McClane
    Castiel from Supernatural

(more to come. my brain just isn't working right now)
    bnh0012
  • You guys are awesome! I appreciate the input!