301 & 302: "The Great War and Modern Memory" & "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye"

Director: Jeremy Saulnier
Writer: Nic Pizzolatto 

Comments

• Let's go!  I can smell it!   Hope @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard eat The Ringer's lunch this season - I see they're gearing up for some hardcore coverage of season 2.  
  • Hopefully I don't jinx it but I am getting good vibes so far.  I like the flashback narrative in the show.  Worked well in S1.  Hoping this is a return to form!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Anybody's HBO NOW just shitting the bed repeatedly, or am I just lucky?

Getting constant HBO not available errors. Can't even get the menu to load...
  • Anybody's HBO NOW just shitting the bed repeatedly, or am I just lucky?

Bummer. Mine's been working fine. 
  • My HBO GO on Xbox is working.  
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Stephen Dorff at a distance keeps reminding me of Dennis Quaid. Gotta be the hair.
    MichelleJoe_Bear
  • My hbo go on Xbox had issues at first too
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Stephen Dorff at a distance keeps reminding me of Dennis Quaid. Gotta be the hair.
    Same
  • My audio was a bit spotty, but it played great. Loved the intro to the new case/season. Really strong Cast so far. 

Funny, I didn't see Dennis Quaid, but Billy Bob Thornton with a Fargo blonde vibe.

Did you all catch the title of the show the interview in 2015?
  • edited January 14
    Good start to the season.  I wonder who is at trial in 1990.
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • edited January 14
    Only 2 episodes in, but a substantially better start than season 2 already. 

Ali is already fantastic. 

Edit: BTW, did the documentary interviewer in '15 call Hayes, Woodard? 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Well, so far so good. I am digging the conceit of the show. The interchanging of the three different timelines is interesting and very True Detective. I love the almost fourth wall breaking elements of the "real world" affecting Hays' story. And surprise surprise, we'll be dealing with some unreliable narrator stuff but that's okay.

Interesting that everyone seems to have a son and a daughter.
  • Anybody's HBO NOW just shitting the bed repeatedly, or am I just lucky?

Yeah mine was bad but I get HBO through Amazon (touchy subject I know lol) and I watched it on prime no problem. They post at the same time HBO Now does. Also I dug all the west memphis 3 allusions. This season is starting out much better than S2 IMO. 
  • edited January 14
    I'm pretty sure I've only seen Stephen Dorff in a vape commercial, but now I kinda think maybe Dennis Quaid is a discount Stephen Dorff?
    Murderbear
  • I think it's pretty good so far. I like that they've brought back the creepy ambiance. I wasn't a big supernatural believer for season one I just really like the atmosphere that it brought, and I get a similar vibe here. The main performances are really good, but I found a lot of the background acting to be pretty wooden with people seemingly just waiting to say their line and not really feeling "in" the scene.

Did anyone find it sort of meta when Woodward ("Trash Man") was talking about Nam and how it's hard going back to that "old story" after being away? Like Pizzolato was "in the shit" for season two.
    CoryKate23
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Thank you!  I thought he looked like someone but I couldn't place it.
    Meegwell said:
    Did you all catch the title of the show the interview in 2015?
    Not at first, but I'm in the middle of the episode and rewound just to see it.  Nice touch.  :wink:
    edited January 14
    Really good first couple of episodes.  I’m already more invested in this season than I was halfway through season 2.   I have a few different suspects in mind already - I really feel like the creepy cousin of the mother may have something to do with this, and maybe the grandparents.  The grandfather got unusually angry pretty easily.
    blue_sleevetelephoneofmadness
  • MichaelG said:
    Let's go!  I can smell it!   Hope @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard eat The Ringer's lunch this season - I see they're gearing up for some hardcore coverage of season 2.  
    Lol I liked The Ringers’ guys but Jim and ARon will always be my go to
  • Like all of the other prestige dramas during this golden age of television - I had to turn the volume to 106 to hear most of the dialog . . . but, once I did, I found a good story.
    A_Ron_HubbardLeahra821
  • This is a much better start than S2. Pizzalato is clearly a talented writer, but maybe he just needs time. Something he didn’t have with S2. I’m glad to see a much more positive reaction from the critics (Vulture, The Ringer, IGN etc). 

Did any one else catch the 2015 “True Criminal” director mentioning the “spiral” when talking about the sex cults to Hayes. I think that’s a clue that we have a Nic Pizzalato Television Universe (NPTU from now on), at least for S1 and S3. 

I really liked the first scene between Wayne and Amelia. Being black and living in a place that’s not particularly diverse (I’m originally from and grew up in Los Angeles and live in DC now but lived in Salt Lake City for 2.5 years) there’s an immediate understanding that doesn’t have to be said outloud when you meet someone in the same situation. When Wayne said “how is it here, you know”, Amelia knew exactly what he as talking about. I’ve had a number of those convos when I lived in Utah. I like how Nic is touching on the race issues but not beating you over the head with it, cuz it’s not like it can be ignored given the time/place. 

Anyway good start. Looking forward to this weeks podcast
    Aww_PHuuCkMichelleUnderwoodblue_sleeve
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    ncat said:
    Anybody's HBO NOW just shitting the bed repeatedly, or am I just lucky?

Yeah mine was bad but I get HBO through Amazon (touchy subject I know lol) and I watched it on prime no problem. They post at the same time HBO Now does. Also I dug all the west memphis 3 allusions. This season is starting out much better than S2 IMO. 
    The scene with the kid in the Black Sabbath shirt gave me West Memphis 3 vibes also. 
    tom_ggguenotFlukes
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I've got a feeling the main character's wife is the killer for some reason.  I just got a vibe from her.  She's also getting involved with one of the lead investigators, be pretty easy to lead them along on a desired path if you are that close to the people running the case. 

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my initial guess.

This is already way better than season two.  Great call on the Pearl Jam cover over the credits of the first episode.  Vedder has a haunting voice and that fit the tone perfectly. 
    johnnytruantBroRad33djcaudle01
  • ...and the Emmy for Outstanding Makeup For A Limited Series or Movie (Non-Prosthetic), goes to True Detective.

I thought the three time frames of Ali looked very good.
    CapeGabeGeorgeFlukesweeniegirl
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited January 14
    rhcoop said:
    I've got a feeling the main character's wife is the killer for some reason.  I just got a vibe from her.  She's also getting involved with one of the lead investigators, be pretty easy to lead them along on a desired path if you are that close to the people running the case. 

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my initial guess.

This is already way better than season two.  Great call on the Pearl Jam cover over the credits of the first episode.  Vedder has a haunting voice and that fit the tone perfectly. 
    Wait, you mean Wayne's wife, *Amelia?  Man, that would be out there. I would be really surprised if it goes that direction, honestly,  but I respect that bold call.  I guess your logic would be that she may have orchestrated the whole thing so that she has something to write a book about, which is her stated ambition.  I'm just so trained to think the perp is a man, unless it's a Gillian Flynn based story, haha.  

Myself, I'm kinda keying in on the Dad. It's always the dad! Plus that actor has some pretty serious chops, and he's older in real life, which leads me to believe he might play a huge role later in the show, when he can act in his natural age state.  Honestly not a whole much more to go on than that.  There were some times when he felt like he was feigning panic/distress, but that could just be the actor's actual performance, who knows. 

I don't think there's any wrong theory at this point, the first two episodes laid a bunch of logical paths for this to go. 
  • tom_g said:
    ...and the Emmy for Outstanding Makeup For A Limited Series or Movie (Non-Prosthetic), goes to True Detective.

I thought the three time frames of Ali looked very good.
    Agreed, I was shocked how effective his makeup/performance was as older Wayne.  I almost think I see a scar on his neck, which leads me to theorize a little bit, but it might just be the old man makeup. 
  • rhcoop said:
    I agree. Something seems shady about her. I also think the cousin is a red herring and Will is the creep that made the hole in the closet.  So maybe she was on to him and was protecting Julia.
    rhcoop
  • rhcoop said:
    I agree. Something seems shady about her. I also think the cousin is a red herring and Will is the creep that made the hole in the closet.  So maybe she was on to him and was protecting Julia.
    I’m also getting a bad vibe about Amelia. Maybe Hays found out about a connection in the 1990 timeline and has since forgotten it in the modern timeline, but still has a feeling he needs to protect her from something.
    rhcoopCapeGabe
  • There is something in the eye and the tone of the voice of the film maker that makes me think she has already uncovered something that is going to lead to Amelia.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    It could be the perp may not have been introduced yet. There were some people in the preview for the season that were not shown in the first two episodes but I've seen enough of these styles of shows where the killer/abductor is shown early on. I'm blown away people above found something fishy about Amelia. I didn't pick up on that at all. Maybe I need to do a rewatch to see if I get any of that
    Murderbear