Baldies 2018 Nomination Phase!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Last year we dipped our toes in the user award waters, this year we're bringing it to the nomination phase. Hit up this survey to nominate things for Best Drama, Best Comedy, Biggest Miss, and Best Bald Move Moment!

http://baldies.baldmove.com

Next week we'll start the award process! Can't wait to see what people think! The Fifth Annual Baldies Awards will be released January 30th!
ChinaskiMichelleNoelFlukesbazjensterTravisMurderbearElisa

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 15
    I just cast my nominations - thanks!
    Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited January 15
    Bald Move Moment was tough. I'm really interested to see what other Movers nominated.
    Travis
  • It was a tough choice between Groundhogs Day marathon and the Blackkklansman cast
    Travis
  • I hope it isn't messed up of me, but I had to give Best Bald Move Moment to @Carter for his Breaking Bald stuff (went with episode 3 for specifics for the bit about A.Ron and Princesses (tough between that and the Sound of Silence bit). There was a ton of great Bald Move stuff this year, but Carter really caught lightning in a bottle and legit gave me some of the best laughs of the year.
    NoelgguenotMurderbearFlukesMichelleA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Travis said:
    I hope it isn't messed up of me, but I had to give Best Bald Move Moment to @Carter for his Breaking Bald stuff (went with episode 3 for specifics for the bit about A.Ron and Princesses (tough between that and the Sound of Silence bit). There was a ton of great Bald Move stuff this year, but Carter really caught lightning in a bottle and legit gave me some of the best laughs of the year.
    oooo good one
    bazjensterTravis
  • gguenot said:
    It was a tough choice between Groundhogs Day marathon and the Blackkklansman cast
    I had to go w/ ARon's Blackkklansman rant, it was probably the most impactful thing to happen to the Bald Move-verse in 2018.
    gguenotMurderbearFlukesTravisDeepavlovsbell
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I also nominated BlacKkKlansman
    Travis
  • Is there any traction to the idea of naming the Best Female Performance award the Carrie Coon award?
    MurderbearCapeGabeA_Ron_HubbardFlukesMFGSchlupp
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    BM Moment - I loved Cecily and ARON's coverage of AHS Apocalypse and how Cecily kept trying to convince us that everything was a reference to Season 2 Asylum.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Flukes said:
    I also nominated BlacKkKlansman
    Same here for 3.  That was a big deal and really changed a lot here.  Some bad actors got shown the door and some good people that left came back. 

Runners up though-

Groundhog Day - I got you Babe
    The Pirate game with the boys puking on each other
    Sailing simulator was super funny at key moments.  It’s too sad that it is lost forever but it makes it kinda cool for those who watched. 
    Wow all my runner-ups are twitch related which is weird cause I agree with their decision for pulling the plug on that.  
    FlukespavlovsbellJoshTheBlack
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Oh, I didn't think about the Twitch stuff.  The first two Sea of Thieves playthroughs were soooo much fun.  :)
    gguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Travis said:
    Is there any traction to the idea of naming the Best Female Performance award the Carrie Coon award?
    I finally get it now!
    CapeGabegguenotMichelleTravisA_Ron_HubbardFlukesNoelCory
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Well darn, I missed the window for nominations. A stated deadline for voting would have been helpful. 

No one probably cares, but just to get it out of my system:

Best Drama: The Americans

Best Comedy: Atlanta

Biggest Miss: I'm not sure what this means. If it means which show/film should BM have covered but did not, I would say The Americans, but they dropped that a while ago, and I was not expecting them to pick it back up. I could say The Good Place, but any podcast that does not dig into the moral philosophy of the show is a waste of time, and there are a couple of really good ones for that. 

So I guess I'll go for biggest disappointment, although this might make people angry:  I was really disappointed in the Sharp Objects podcast. SO is a story written by, mostly made by, and mostly starring women, and it's a story about women's trauma -- pain done to them by men and the patriarchy, but also the pain that women inflict on each other and the ensuing cycles of violence (also related to the patriarchy). The only way Gillian Flynn could get someone to publish it in 2006 was to disguise it as a southern gothic murder mystery. I think if BM had Cecily (or another woman) on the podcast, then perhaps some of that would have been discussed. The mystery was not the point at all; in fact, the perpetrator was obvious from the beginning, and yet so many men (I'm including men I know IRL) did not realize that, which is part of the point the story makes.

Best Moment: I guess I'll echo what others said about BlacKkKlansman because of the changes it led to in the forums; which took way too long to happen, but I'm glad those actions were finally taken.
    MattyWeavesFlukesDee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I also just saw this. Damn it all. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    pavlovsbell said:

So I guess I'll go for biggest disappointment, although this might make people angry:  I was really disappointed in the Sharp Objects podcast. SO is a story written by, mostly made by, and mostly starring women, and it's a story about women's trauma -- pain done to them by men and the patriarchy, but also the pain that women inflict on each other and the ensuing cycles of violence (also related to the patriarchy). The only way Gillian Flynn could get someone to publish it in 2006 was to disguise it as a southern gothic murder mystery. I think if BM had Cecily (or another woman) on the podcast, then perhaps some of that would have been discussed. The mystery was not the point at all; in fact, the perpetrator was obvious from the beginning, and yet so many men (I'm including men I know IRL) did not realize that, which is part of the point the story makes.
    I will stick my hand up and admit that I did not realise that about Sharp Objects - though I read the book a few years ago and only got through one episode of the series. As ever, I am learning something new when reading one of your comments. 
    pavlovsbell
    edited January 25
    Aw, thanks, @Dee.  Actually, I should have used the phrase "female rage" instead of "female pain," because the rage aspect is the thing.

Gillian Flynn Isn’t Going to Write the Kind of Women You Want

Vanity Fair: Let’s start with Sharp Objects. You began the writers’ room in 2016. Were there lots of discussions about the presidential campaign—about all those gender dynamics playing out?

Gillian Flynn: It would have been a conversation, but that really hadn’t started yet. But the show is so much a story about life before this new awareness, before #MeToo. It’s about what happens to women when they have to swallow down their stories—and what happens to that rage. And it feels like a cautionary tale at this moment when women are finally telling their stories, but we still have a president who’s a pussy-grabber. Despite a lot of brave, strong women, it’s still a strong current in America. 

I connected so strongly to the show because of my female rage that had been exacerbated by the 2016 election and the ensuing/ongoing horror show, but then the MeToo movement dredged up more stuff, and when I watched Sharp Objects, I was often triggered (I identified strongly with Camille, and Adora reminded me way too much of my mother), and it brought up some memories that I had repressed, which genuinely surprised me, I think SO is one of the best portrayals of trauma and memory that I've seen. However, it took me to some dark places that, once the show was over, I couldn't bring myself to read the book and do our book-to-show wrap-up (we podcasted it).

And tbh, since then, I haven't been watching many dramas (I know you haven't, either, Dee). I've been escaping mostly into comedies, and rewatching Buffy and the first two seasons of Alias for the catharsis of whatever emotion I'm penting up. But if you do get back to dark dramas, I recommend Sharp Objects. Jean-Marc Vallée's direction is incredible and hypnotic, and Amy Adams, Patricia Clarkson, and (teenaged!) Eliza Scanlen knock it out of the park.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 25
    @pavlovsbell I watched the first episode and was just bored, but I think the whole of last year I was just over angsty dramas with a sad, self-sabotaging protagonist and just rolled my eyes at the idea of yet another one. I think now given your thoughts I’m going to take another look at it. And I did really like Big Little Lies, which I believe Vallee also did? 
    Elisa
    edited January 25
    Dee said:
    @pavlovsbell I watched the first episode and was just bored, but I think the whole of last year I was just over angsty dramas with a sad, self-sabotaging protagonist and just rolled my eyes at the idea of yet another one. I think now given your thoughts I’m going to take another look at it. And I did really like Big Little Lies, which I believe Vallee also did? 
    Lol, I've been like that but with cis, straight, white male prestige dramas. I've been told that I would enjoy Counterpart, The Terror, Billions, and Succession, to name a few, and perhaps I would (except Billions -- I hate Wall Street guys with a fiery passion and cannot imagine enjoying a show about them unless it involves a guillotine), but I am so fucking exhausted of white men dramas. I grew up mired in that; give me something different.

Yes, Vallée directed S1 of BLL. He is surprisingly adept at directing women's stories.  
    DeeElisa
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Jude law in the young pope was amazing
    i also think Andrew Lincoln should be in with a shout.