Tidying Up with Marie Kondo (Netflix)

FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada

Any Bald Movers watching this? I'm seeing a lot of buzz on social media and my wife and I have watched a few.

There's a lot of weird personification of inanimate objects, but you don't have to buy the idea that t-shirts have wants and opinions to get something out of Kondo's ideas. We've actually picked up her book and are discarding a lot of useless crap in our house. 

I haven't figured out a way to look at my long thermal underwear that "sparks joy" but I did throw out the second pair with the hole in the crotch - so I think that's progress?
telephoneofmadnessweeniegirlMichellemajjam0770

Comments

• I've followed her a little over the years. Beneath the self-help jargon, I don't think her advice is more profound than "throw away what you don't need". She is completely adorable though.
    majjam0770
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I've followed her a little over the years. Beneath the self-help jargon, I don't think her advice is more profound than "throw away what you don't need". She is completely adorable though.
    I can't help but think, as I'm trying to fold up my long-sleeved shirts and pants her way, that this is a lot easier if you're a tiny adorable lady.
    telephoneofmadnessMichelle
  • I cringed at the end of the trailer, when she is sitting on the floor seiza style, like she is trying to emphasize how Japanese she is. We know you can use chairs, Marie, you are sitting in one at the beginning of the video.
    asmallcatFlukesMichelle
  • I've followed her a little over the years. Beneath the self-help jargon, I don't think her advice is more profound than "throw away what you don't need". She is completely adorable though.
    Basically my thoughts too. I guess some people need to be told it's ok to throw stuff out though. Hey, if it helps, great. Just doesn't really do anything for me, as I've never been bad about not getting rid of stuff. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I feel like I’ve already said this here recently, but I’m still mad that I spent $20 years ago on her book, which could have just been summed up
    as “throw out what you don’t love and be kind to your socks.” 
    Flukesmajjam0770
  • @Dee

$20 does sound like a lot for that little book, haha.  We got it from the library, that was the way to go.  She really changed how we viewed our stuff.  In the past year, we've easily gotten rid of 75% of our shit. The stuff that remains all has a place and is very easy to maintain.  It's definitely a very simple process, but it makes a huge difference. 
    DeeFlukesLeahra821Michelle
  • Dee said:
    I feel like I’ve already said this here recently, but I’m still mad that I spent $20 years ago on her book, which could have just been summed up
    as “throw out what you don’t love and be kind to your socks.” 

We all have a book or two that we look at and think "I can't believe I gave this fucker my money."

I have always found it strange that people make millions telling other people to do common sense things. Sometimes I have a fantasy about starting a ridiculous fad that has gullible people giving me tons of money, it always ends with me not being able to look myself in the mirror.

Maybe I can tie the Bald Move Bidet 2k19 with a new scheme. "I am here today to tell you how unbelievably important it is to clean your ass. I know some are you are skeptical but I am here to tell you it's true."
    DeerhcoopMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    MichaelG said:
    @Dee

$20 does sound like a lot for that little book, haha.  We got it from the library, that was the way to go.  She really changed how we viewed our stuff.  In the past year, we've easily gotten rid of 75% of our shit. The stuff that remains all has a place and is very easy to maintain.  It's definitely a very simple process, but it makes a huge difference. 
    I think I just didn’t need it, but I’m a sucker for whatever the big new wow book is. I’m a ruthless culler from way back - I hate clutter. 
    FlukesMichaelG
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i started watching the first episode, but the couple she was trying to help really annoyed me so i stopped watching midway through.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    i started watching the first episode, but the couple she was trying to help really annoyed me so i stopped watching midway through.
    Haha, everyone hates that couple. I started watching the first episode, kind of liked the couple, but found HER cutesy schtick really annoying and switched it off. 
    Chinaski
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited January 17
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    Haha, everyone hates that couple. I started watching the first episode, kind of liked the couple, but found HER cutesy schtick really annoying and switched it off. 
    There's a scene in that episode where they are low-key fighting right until they open the door and the wife turns on her fake smile and "haaaaaaaaaaay" that made me irrationally angry.

ChinaskiDeeAww_PHuuCkMichelle
  • I grew up solid upper lower class so I tend to hoard things, clothes especially.  I haven't even seen the show or read her book, but because of her being EVERYWHERE lately, I have been culling like a madwoman.  

So people who have watched this show, do people seriously thank and honor the stuff they purge?  Like "I honor you four year old skinny jeans that I have been hanging to in the vain hope that I will someday fit into you again. Thank you for making me feel like a failure.  Off you go..."?  
    DeeFlukescdriveweeniegirlMichellemajjam0770
  • edited January 18
    The first couple turned me off from the show. I like Kondo but I have very little interest in the human interest aspect of the show. All I wanted to see was Kondo organizing shit and that's it so I guess I should just stick to her 'gram.

Speaking of which, did anyone follow Book Twitter's attack on Kondo for saying we dont need more than 30 books? 
    telephoneofmadness
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Who has time to fold all their t-shirts and tea towels into little cute parcels?. I wear it, drop food or whatever on it, & back to wash it goes. Rarely do I bother hanging things up. My chair does just fine.
    DeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Vikki12 said:
    I grew up solid upper lower class so I tend to hoard things, clothes especially.  I haven't even seen the show or read her book, but because of her being EVERYWHERE lately, I have been culling like a madwoman.  

So people who have watched this show, do people seriously thank and honor the stuff they purge?  Like "I honor you four year old skinny jeans that I have been hanging to in the vain hope that I will someday fit into you again. Thank you for making me feel like a failure.  Off you go..."?  
    Well, I still have a button up pencil skirt that I wore when I was a 19 year old receptionist and now can’t even get halfway around my waist. It hangs in my wardrobe and every now and then I look at it for a while and sign, “Someday...” 
    majjam0770
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Speaking of which, did anyone follow Book Twitter's attack on Kondo for saying we dont need more than 30 books? 
    Book people are so touchy - you’d have thought she was sending Fahrenheit 451 type armies around to these people’s houses to forcibly remove their books, the way they were carrying on. She clearly says stuff about keeping what you love, so if you love your books, keep them and don’t fret, you dumb weeners. 
    FlukesLeahra821Aww_PHuuCk
  • Speaking of which, did anyone follow Book Twitter's attack on Kondo for saying we dont need more than 30 books? 
    Her 30 book rule seems insane to me. Maybe she just has e-books and Audible.
  • weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    My husband and both have low key hoarding tendencies, probably from growing up in financially insecure households, as someone above mentioned. We are constantly saying we need to dejunk, but never do. After hearing all the buzz I watched the first episode, and have been on a tear for two weeks now. So far we have packed up 6 garbage bags of things to donate, just working on it one drawer or closet shelf at a time.

As for the folding, I love it. I feel genuinely happy when I open my underwear drawer now and see those adorable little fabrics packets. 
    majjam0770
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 19
    I'm starting this today, but I think I'll skip the first episode based on @Chinaski and @Dee's reviews.
    I've been on a quest to simplify and declutter my living space this year so this couldn't have come at a better time.

EDIT:  Just started episode 2 (starting my watch now, skipped the annoying couple in ep. 1) and WOW, I have nowhere near the amount of stuff that these people have!  I'm pretty minimized compared to these people!  Still, starting a tote of items to donate.
    DeeFlukes