Punisher Season 2

Hi,
I'm currently binging the punisher season 2, holy shit, these people are all seriously screwed up and broken.
I love it. :-)
I was a little bit worried by the trailer but for me after  daredevil season 3 it looks like they are going out with a bang with the punisher on netflix as well.

Comments

• I watched the first 3 episodes last night and am going to continue tonight. I'm sad to say i'm not loving it. I really miss Frank's chemistry with Karen and Micro. I can't make myself care about the blond girl Amy...she's pretty unlikable and the villain is weird and boring. Crossing my fingers things get better. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Better than s1 but still not good.  Who is the audience for characters literally walking around soaked in blood, or the constant emphasis on gore?  15-yo boys?  Ridiculous, Hollywood wish fulfillment bad guys.  The men hand to hand fighting looked more like old drunks staggering around.

Best part of the season was Amber Rose Revah looking half-crazed the whole time.

• I think the fights are really well-coreographed, but the level of violence is a bit too much for me sometimes.  It's got a neo-western vibe to a lot of it the setpieces and action sequences that I like, and I don't know music but the soundtrack or score or whatever sounds good to me.  As far as the story, I like it pretty well in terms of how they're building up both major antagonists, but the plot as far as what Castle is doing and why at any given moment isn't as compelling. 

• It's getting better. The relationships are developing. Billy Russo is really good. I like how messed up everyone is. I still don't like or understand the minister/assassin guy. Does he have lasered off nazi tattoos? 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 21
    I’m Super enjoying it. And bernthal is killing it.

he has this thing when he gets into fights where he has this grunt that gets deeper when hes getting fucked up and needs it and as a viewer you’re just like fuck yea...beat that dude to death with a dumbbell 
  • edited January 21
    Ok, I'm through. Not sure if this whole thing was meant to be like a clockwork orange thing, because at some point the action and violence stopped to be cool and I just wanted it to stop.  At least they weren't playing Ludwig van :-)
    It was a lot harder to binge than I thought because of this constant violence overload, both physical and emotional.
    Overall I liked it a lot, everyone was so fucked and messed up and just wanted it to be over. If Curtis is ready to abandon ship things a really bad. I didn't like the very last scene, I would have prefered a quiet, reflective moment, maybe Frank returning to that waitress in the biker bar.

I was really shipping Russo and the doctor like Fisk and Vanessa. It would have been nice
    if they just took off and lived happily ever after. That the doctor survived the fall cheapened
    it, it would have been better if Russo killed Madani giving Frank the final push to finish it
    with the implication that it might also be a mercy killing.
    Glad that John made it, he kind of grew on me.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 22
    Probably the same people who read the Punisher comics.

This is so OTT, it's hyperviolent, by the guy who did Preacher, it got great reviews as a Punisher classic, and I really disliked it.  

lengmo said:
    Better than s1 but still not good.  Who is the audience for characters literally walking around soaked in blood, or the constant emphasis on gore?  15-yo boys?  Ridiculous, Hollywood wish fulfillment bad guys.  The men hand to hand fighting looked more like old drunks staggering around.

Best part of the season was Amber Rose Revah looking half-crazed the whole time.

• I don’t get the violence hate. This is the John Wick decade. It’s punisher. I can get that it can get a bit boring seeing some dude bash heads with brass knuckles 5 times. But the violence is fine with me. As Long as then can keep it unique and interesting.

Overall the season is fine. Although I don’t agree with John/Pilgram get a pass. I think they did a good job of sort of turning him into a complex character and some moments you feel bad for him. But he was still a mass murderer. 
  • BornaBorna Long Beach, CA
    This season is a proper joke. 
  • My impression was that Russo didn't kill Franks family but knew about it and at that time thought Frank made the video of the execution. There are definitely huge plotholes in the story and they don't follow through with the interesting ideas but John and the girl got more interesting for me later on. All in all pretty nihilistic feel but I still liked some of the action and pairings.
  • ok, just finished. The ending was duuuuumbb. Up until that point i was pretty engaged. They did develop the relationship between Frank and Amy. I sort of liked how they wrapped up the evil parents. The excessive physical damage that everyone was taking (and not dying from) got a little old. It's a bummer they couldn't write a season as good as the first one was but that is pretty normal, right? 
    Schlupp
  • Just starting the last episode. Holy cow did this ever get duuuuuuuumb. Did they find out that all the Marvel stuff was getting dropped halfway through making the season and let a couple pothead interns do the rest?
  • I thought the whole season wasn't great, but that last episode was dumpster fire bad. I did like season one, but this show will now be chalked up as yet another Punisher fail for Hollywood. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 28
    Hatorian said:
    I don’t get the violence hate. This is the John Wick decade. It’s punisher. I can get that it can get a bit boring seeing some dude bash heads with brass knuckles 5 times. But the violence is fine with me. As Long as then can keep it unique and interesting.

Overall the season is fine. Although I don’t agree with John/Pilgram get a pass. I think they did a good job of sort of turning him into a complex character and some moments you feel bad for him. But he was still a mass murderer. 

Even though John Wick is certainly gratuitously violent, to me the camera in those movies doesn't dwell on the gore and violence like the Punisher does - Wick takes inspiration from the hyper stylized/kinetic/violent violent Hong Kong cinema, whereas Punisher just has all the nasty stuff without any of the style (IMO).
    lengmo
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Hm. I actually really enjoyed the last few episodes and had finally started caring about the kid. Really liked the way the villains were handled. Pilgrim became much more relatable and stopped being a one track villain I've seen some version of many times before. Also liked the way Billy's story ended - somewhat anticlimactic but also appropriately pathetic. Madani going to work for the CIA wasn't exactly a moral improvement but whatever. I don't think she'd have qualified for security clearance either. 

2 main issues I had - Russo getting the drop on Frank and Curtis' stakeout seemed to just happen out of nowhere, and they should have been watching for it. 

Also - the final shot with the Punisher just opening up on 2 rival gangs? Doesn't really comport with his usual code, and in order to root for the character you have to 1) believe his opponents are worse. 2) Nobody else can deal with them. At least that's true for me.

The violence on the show is extreme for sure, but I think that's the brand. 

• MrX said:
    Hatorian said:
    I don’t get the violence hate. This is the John Wick decade. It’s punisher. I can get that it can get a bit boring seeing some dude bash heads with brass knuckles 5 times. But the violence is fine with me. As Long as then can keep it unique and interesting.

Even though John Wick is certainly gratuitously violent, to me the camera in those movies doesn't dwell on the gore and violence like the Punisher does - Wick takes inspiration from the hyper stylized/kinetic/violent violent Hong Kong cinema, whereas Punisher just has all the nasty stuff without any of the style (IMO).
    i can agree they have different styles. and i seem to be in the minority that felt it was ok. I also went into the season expecting Frank to bash big ass dudes with weights and it didn't disappoint. it was what i expected. A pretty lame story with some ultra violent action. i actually skipped most of the Madani and pyscho chick stuff so maybe thats why i wasnt as disappointed with the season. it was popcorn carnage. Im getting my moody drama fill from True Dectective and my comedy fill from iasip and office. 
    MrX