Star Trek: Disco vs. The Orville

Let me preface by saying that I'm a huge Star Trek fan.  I watch an episode of one of the various series nearly every day.

But, I would argue that The Orville is more of a descendant of the Star Trek legacy than Disco.

I enjoy Disco.  Totally disagree with Jim'Ron's take on Tilly.  I think she's fantastic.  It's a very good show.  But, I think it's a bit too West Wing walking/talking scripted and visually stylized.  The visuals are tremendous - beautiful to look at but feels very sterile.

As a contrast, The Orville tells real Star Trek-type stories.  The last episode I think could be the best of the series.  

The Orville is embracing the Star Trek legacy while Disco I think is trying to move on and, in doing so, is losing some of the heart of the series.

That said, I am encouraged by the Disco premiere.  When Pike tells Burnham than we are "going to shake things up and ruffle some feathers", it felt like show notes from Season 1 to start to have some more fun.  So, I'm encouraged.

I'm just a bit shocked that The Orville, which I thought in the beginning was just a parody, is (minus the less-frequent low-brow humor) this good.
Flukes

Comments

• I like The Orville and haven't been able to bring myself to watch Disco. The reviews put me off but mainly I can't see any universe where I subscribe to CBS

I have heard people call The Orville TNG's successor but I like to think of it as the Star Trek series that should have been in-between TOS and TNG. Half camp and half serious.
    Flukes
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    The issue with The Orville is the "camp" is pretty low-brow humor.  My kids watch all that Family Guy/American Dad stuff and it always irritated me when I found out how talented Seth MacFarlane really is that he played the lowest common denominator to popularity.

The guy is a real multi-talent.  The Orville is drifting away from that type of humor and ST:Disco is sneezing green snot in people's faces.

I don't know what's happening.
  • First off Star Trek  disco  sounds like a wicked cool costume theme party. But seriously, I watched Disco for an episode and I just didn’t take to the tone or the characters despite its visual superiority to Orville. For me thete can never be a true succesor to TNG. Its clear Seth Mcfarlane loved TNG but I dont think he’d Attempt a true homage. In fact thats what I love about the show so far. At no point does it try to be a sci fi show but plays enough of the Star Trek tropes to give it some familiarity while still managing to put his own stamp on it. I liken it to when a chef takes a classic dish and gives it a few wrinkles to make it their own while still honoring the genuine article. 
  • edited January 20
    STD is written by people who do not like or understand Star Trek. 

That is why it sucks and is a disease on the Star Trek franchise. 

Seth MacFarlene understands and loves Star Trek. 

That is why it is great and a successor to Star Trek.

Its pretty simple as you can see, You don't need to over think it. 

CBS rebooted Star Trek only so they could sell their streaming service CBS ALL ACCESS. Horrible shmucks. 
    hisdudeness915
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    People said TNG was a disease on the franchise. People said DS9 was the end of Roddenberry's vision. JJ Abrams killed Star Trek by making it a summer blockbuster. Now it's Discovery's turn in the barrel. I'm not buying any of it. Trek is a huge tent, and the Trek that you hate may be someone else's favorite. Discovery is made with love and reverence for what's come before. It's not your bag, and that's fine, but for many others it stands on its own as a solid Trek show and worthy of the name. 

As far as the Orville, I haven't seen it and I won't. I detest Seth McFarlane with the heat of a thousand suns and I really don't think Gene Roddenberry's successor is the guy who sang "We saw your boobs" at the Oscars.
    asmallcatFlukesdarthcaedus1138
  • Frakkin T said:
    People said TNG was a disease on the franchise. People said DS9 was the end of Roddenberry's vision. JJ Abrams killed Star Trek by making it a summer blockbuster. Now it's Discovery's turn in the barrel. I'm not buying any of it. Trek is a huge tent, and the Trek that you hate may be someone else's favorite. Discovery is made with love and reverence for what's come before. It's not your bag, and that's fine, but for many others it stands on its own as a solid Trek show and worthy of the name. 

As far as the Orville, I haven't seen it and I won't. I detest Seth McFarlane with the heat of a thousand suns and I really don't think Gene Roddenberry's successor is the guy who sang "We saw your boobs" at the Oscars.
    Against all logic and reason, the Orville is a good sci-fi successor to trek. I don't get it either, but there it is. 
    Frakkin T
  • Is it still only cbs all access for discovery?
  • When The Orville came out I thought it was going to be like Galaxy Quest and because of McFarlane would be all bodily function jokes. It turned out to be not bad. If I could change anything I would lower the camp factor by half and have the crew not be totally informal. The bridge seems like a living room, they are almost on couches in their comfortable stretchy pants watching TV.
    alexander.klassen
  • edited January 22
    Well I liked Discovery. I’m a lifelong Trekkie, seen them all from their beginnings (except the original, watched reruns on late night tv). I don’t think I’ll try Orville based on so much great tv coming down the pike, and the comments here. 

Every Trek has had someone who’s annoying, someone to take all the neg viewership. And every Trek also has someone who’s the unabashed open heart/conscience. I think Disco combined the 2 in Tilly. My only minor thing is that so far it hasn’t had truly stand-alone full episodes, which for the other iterations was a huge plus in re-watching. In the “extras” on all-access though, there are very good short clips that have the old stand-alone dna...I hope that signals where the show is going. 

When my free sub runs out I’ll try to keep up with it elsewhere; especially if they can get past the single season-long plot lines to a true discovery mission. 
    Frakkin T
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 22
    Unfortunately this season of Discovery may be the search for (real) Spock.  I’m not sure why they chose to do a prequel, it’s going to hem them in. 
    Elisa
  • Unfortunately this season of Discovery may be the search for (real) Spock.  I’m not sure why they chose to do a prequel, it’s going to hem them in. 

They said when they started there would be no contact with TOS but the Euro buyers wouldn't renew for this season unless they had the Enterprise and Spock so guess who won...
    CapeGabe said:

They said when they started there would be no contact with TOS but the Euro buyers wouldn't renew for this season unless they had the Enterprise and Spock so guess who won...
    The suits at Paramount wouldn't let them kill Spock in Wrath of Khan unless they left an opening to bring him back. Can't have show business without business. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Kate23 said:
    I don’t think I’ll try Orville based on so much great tv coming down the pike, and the comments here. 
    Well...I can't say that doesn't sting a bit.

I gave The Orville a pretty whole-hearted endorsement.
  • DrKen said:
    Kate23 said:
    I don’t think I’ll try Orville based on so much great tv coming down the pike, and the comments here. 
    Well...I can't say that doesn't sting a bit.

I gave The Orville a pretty whole-hearted endorsement.
    Sorry, Dr! I may give it an episode or 2, but the comments about camp keep it off the must-see list. There's so much other good stuff on the way, that's my main reason. 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited January 23
    Frakkin T said:

The suits at Paramount wouldn't let them kill Spock in Wrath of Khan unless they left an opening to bring him back. Can't have show business without business. 

I always thought the rumor was that Nimoy wouldn't do the movie unless they killed off his character. After that they talked him into the 3rd movie by letting him direct it.

On the topic of Discovery, watched the season 2 opener and while it looked pretty amazing for TV, I just didn't feel very engaged with the story? I liked season 1 fine enough but just didn't seem to care what was happening. Most interesting character was the engineer/emergency doctor keeping all those people alive. Hope to see more of her.

And what was up with the Enterprise? At no point did they say what was wrong with the ship or why it couldn't be used. Nobody even asked. All they said was they had just got back from their 5-yr mission, but why was it broken? Someone mentions how hard it would be to disable the Enterprise, but no follow-up? I'm guessing the answer is "Because then we'd have to build the sets", but still...

episodic shows in general seem to be in this loop of
    • episode 1: find out there's a new Big Bad™ for the season.
    • episode 2-11: decide you can't find said Big Bad™ and do some other non-related adventure, but shoe-horn in weird conversation about Big Bad™ completely out of context.
    • episode 12: find and defeat Big Bad™
    Essentially the CW shows...

I'm interested to see what happens with the episodes toward the end of the season when they had apparently run out of budget for the show...  Probably a few "OMG, were trapped in a shuttle craft for the whole episode" or "OMG, were trapped in this small underground cave for the whole episode" episodes...  :)

edited January 23
    @redlancer Yes, Nimoy wanted out and he was the one who pushed for Spock's death. The suits agreed but mandated a back-door in case he ended up changing his mind. Good thing, too, for us. 

On the issue of Enterprise's disabling, there was a bit of explanation--massive systems failure (except life support) when they set course for the coordinates of the red burst. I've been talking with a friend about this and we've decided that Spock himself disabled the Enterprise to stop Pike from following him on whatever journey he's taking now. It makes sense if you do a close read of the dialogue in episode 1 and you're familiar with the TOS episode The Menagerie, where Spock kidnaps Pike and commandeers the Enterprise so he can bring Pike back to Talos IV. (And considering some fans' reactions to the new Klingons, can you blame them for not showing much of Enterprise?)
    Doctor_Nick
  • redlancer said:

And what was up with the Enterprise? At no point did they say what was wrong with the ship or why it couldn't be used. Nobody even asked. All they said was they had just got back from their 5-yr mission, but why was it broken? Someone mentions how hard it would be to disable the Enterprise, but no follow-up? I'm guessing the answer is "Because then we'd have to build the sets", but still...

Might also have to do with how they had to make the Enterprise different for legal reasons too

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discoverys-version-of-the-enterprise-had-to-1825276401
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 24
    I'm caught up on Discovery and I'm up to ep 4 of season 1 of the Orville.  

One issue that is apparent is that Discovery is trying something newer for Star Trek (extremely serialized) while the Orville is essentially a retro-Trek pastiche - surprisingly well done, but so far quite retro......
  • The Orville is a love letter to Star Trek.

Discovery is an attempt to refresh and reinvigorate the series.
  • I'm caught up on Discovery and I'm up to ep 4 of season 1 of the Orville.  

One issue that is apparent is that Discovery is trying something newer for Star Trek (extremely serialized) while the Orville is essentially a retro-Trek pastiche - surprisingly well done, but so far quite retro......
    Yeah, the Orville is definitely not trying to break any meaningful new ground. Sometimes that's ok though. 
  • asmallcat said:
    I'm caught up on Discovery and I'm up to ep 4 of season 1 of the Orville.  

Yeah, the Orville is definitely not trying to break any meaningful new ground. Sometimes that's ok though. 
    That for me is the charm of the show. The show feels comfortable and familiar. May sound quaint, but these times could use some quaint. 
    alexander.klassen
  • I often find Seth Macfarlane pretty funny (I thought the Mexican dance off in the holodeck was great) but I think the Orville could have been played completely straight and I would buy it.