303 - The Big Never

Director: Daniel Sackheim
Writer: Nic Pizzolatto

Comments

• edited January 21
    God damnit Zack Morris. *edit* Bojesse Christopher...so close.
  • The size of this trailer good lord. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I'm glad I watched The Leftovers recently to prepare me for this episode. Was catching some serious Patti Levin vibes from Amelia. Ha!
    calebthrower
  • The size of this trailer good lord. 
    Doublewide lol. Looks like he sprung for the cinderblock/curtain foundation.
    After seeing the house wrecked at the end of last week, I wondered what happened, & now we see Tom all cleaned up. I guess nobody pulled Lucy out of a hole if she died in Vegas. 

Disappointed in the tone shift this week. Seems a lot less focused on Wayne's state of mind, but perhaps more evenly balanced with the whodunit aspect. I'd like to stay with Wayne though, that's way more interesting to me especially the way it unfolded in eps 1&2.

I think Will passed those notes to his sister through the peephole. 

Wayne's one low key guy but definitely no softhearted angel. He gave almost the same answer when Amelia suggested the motel, as on the night of when Roland suggested maybe they could find somebody to beat the shit out of. "Boy that'd be great." 

telephoneofmadness
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    #1- felllas don’t call her out when you’re drunk. don’t puff up like you do more shit cause she does soooo much more shit.

#2 the Native American Vietnam getting mobbed by American flag hat wearing dingdongs...the timing is mind blowing.

#3 definitely the detective’s wife. 

And #D  omg this blood wolf moon eclipse 

DummyMarci
  • Still getting super-creepy vibes from Amelia. Not saying she did it, but she’s mixed up in something to do with it.

Agree garbage man (veteran) getting mobbed is awful, and oddly (depressingly) topical.

Tell me this isn’t going to be a D&D thing.

Blood moon is rockIn!
    rhcoop
  • LordBy said:

If this ends with Tom Hanks jumping off a building I'll be disappointed
    Pangs
  • Maybe the farmer got it backwards it was a white guy and black girl ... Amelia and her old white boyfriend. We know she is good with kids. Gotta get that book material from somewhere.
    telephoneofmadness
  • The last scene roped me back in and felt like classic True Detective.  Just a couple of assholes talking at a bar.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 21
    CapeGabe said:
    LordBy said:

If this ends with Tom Hanks jumping off a building I'll be disappointed
    I can live with ole Tommy H taking the big plunge, but if Judith Lander starts singing that stupid friendship song...
  • If Tom's not her bio dad that may play into the whole "what happened with Julie and her dad" thing. 
    And if he's not, could Julie's bio dad be connected to Hoyt Foods. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • Not sure what to make of this episode. It felt like a bomb got dropped on a red herring warehouse. Red herrings flying everywhere. The Native American man carrying a child-shaped bag, witnesses being overlooked by police, the mysterious brown sedan couple who might also dress up as ghosts on Halloween, new evidence in the kids' house, toys in the forest, weird pork factory manager, etc., etc..

Amelia is very suspicious, especially creepy Ghost Amelia in the David Lynch hallucination scene. And there's no way Wayne never having read Amelia's book can end well. I'll be annoyed if he opens it in the last episode and finds a note saying, "It was me."
    MurderbearPangs
  • Kate23 said:

Wayne's one low key guy but definitely no softhearted angel. He gave almost the same answer when Amelia suggested the motel, as on the night of when Roland suggested maybe they could find somebody to beat the shit out of. "Boy that'd be great." 
    That scene was another example of Shady Amelia. "Let's stop staking out this important area and go and have sex in a motel."
    Kate23 said:

That scene was another example of Shady Amelia. "Let's stop staking out this important area and go and have sex in a motel."
    There wasn't much more they could do that night anyway. They knew the best step forward was her talking to the police. And we know that Nicky Pizza said that he won't be lying on the screen. So, we know she successfully got good info and possibly more to come from the cops so they were right.

Now whether or not she has anything to do with it, I don't know. My gut says no but we'll see.
  • The Native American man carrying a child-shaped bag
    I actually thought this was supposed to be a bag of guns/military gear. We know something bad happens to him from the future interview, and it didn't look like he was going to take getting jumped lying down.
    rhcoopalexander.klassen
  • FYI yall youngins 

There was a passing mention of Afro Hart to Hart . . . Hart to Hart is a detective show before yall were born (I was a young man).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0078622/&ved=2ahUKEwiV56Snpf_fAhWywVkKHVHeBfsQjjgwEXoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0D8MrMdWnnZ-Z_3ldiFtgp

Coincidentally, the lead actor may have killed his real life wife.
    Pangs
  • MichelleMichelle California
    This episode only served to convince me that Amelia's involved somehow. 

I was confused, though, why Wayne & West felt the need to talk to anyone at Hoyt Foods based on seeing a tote bag.  How do you make that connection?  I get that Lucy used to work there but still.... huh?   At the same time, there's something weird with that foundation.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    @Michelle
    I think the fact that they had just found out that the foundation connected to Hoyt Foods was offering a reward for any info that led to finding Julie coupled with then finding the bag from Hoyt in Julie's room and finding out the Mom used to work there was just too many coincidences for them. 

That was my understanding of it anyway.
    MurderbeartelephoneofmadnessMichelle
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    Ok, I know this is a bit asinine, but MAN I'm a little scared I know exactly where this is going. 
    I don't want to say to much... but if you're a fan of D&D especially in the 80s, I think that scene of the dice in this episode reveals almost to much, in where this is probably going. 

Lannitik said:
    Ok, I know this is a bit asinine, but MAN I'm a little scared I know exactly where this is going. 
    I don't want to say to much... but if you're a fan of D&D especially in the 80s, I think that scene of the dice in this episode reveals almost to much, in where this is probably going. 

I really want to know what this means! (Use the spoiler tag if you think it's too much!)
    MoonMan13Lannitik
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Lannitik said:

I really want to know what this means! (Use the spoiler tag if you think it's too much!)
    Agree!
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    That Danny Torrance kid gives me the creeps.
  • LARPing gone too far? Will failed his saving throw?
    Lannitik
  • so yeah, I'm pretty much all in on the "Amelia did it" theory. 

maybe it was accidental, and everything she has been doing since then has been damage control and obfuscation of the truth (her book, marrying one of the key detectives, etc)

But man, it is weird how interested she is in the case, in particular in the 90s... and those cryptic comments from her "ghost" in 2015?

I'm probably wrong, but really nobody else introduced so far is as compelling.
    Lannitikrhcoop
  • So did a little D and D research and will post note it in a spoiler what I think Lannitik is talking about.

Lannitik
  • edited January 22

So there is this Dr. Amy Bishop who killed her brother when she was 19 then went on a murder rampage as an adult and they think it could have been motivated by D & D https://io9.gizmodo.com/did-dungeons-dragons-motivate-dr-amy-bishops-murder-5473500

MurderbearLannitikalexander.klassen
  • My dad never let me play D&D because of those rumors so I always had to play at a friends house.

no...I didn’t kill anyone. 

I like the idea the notes being passed are between the Brother and Sister. 

It puts a lot into play in terms of them lying, going off with someone and obviously wanting to get away from that house. 

My money is on the Father. I think the notes are the Brother trying to help the sister who is getting abused. 

They end up concocting a plan to escape, which gets that Ozarks charity thing involved. Someone working there tips of the mom. 

Mom confronts them trying to escape. Father is looking for missing kids. Finds them in the woods cuz he knows they play there. Argument ensues, boy accidentally killed. They place him in the communion position and then find a way to get Julie out and make it look like a homcide/kidnaping. 

I dont know it. Waste of energy, it’s probably just the weirdo guy at the Ozarks factory much like season 1 killer was just some dude cutting grass at a church. 

BroRad33
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    Lannitik said:

Spoilers? MAYBE? 
    Who knows. I can't say for certain because there's no case directly related that's dead on like this, but there were multiple cases blamed on D&D ties which the government trumped up. Nic Pizzolatto is of a perfect age to be very aware of that stuff of course. 

Hatorian said:

I dont know it. Waste of energy, it’s probably just the weirdo guy at the Ozarks factory much like season 1 killer was just some dude cutting grass at a church. 

He wasn't just a random guy tho, he was tied to everything going on. 
    I think the killer may not even be the biggest thing going on here. I think we will see our two cops killing the person responsible in the 90s, that will explain why there's so much left out of the cases. We've got the set up scene for action like this, by them showing us they will fk up the pedo they believe could be responsible. 
    Which could still mean it's the dad under your reasoning which I like. 
  • edited January 22

Here is the Tom Hanks clip I mentioned before from the time of the Great D&D Scare of the 80's:

• rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    hitmy said:
    so yeah, I'm pretty much all in on the "Amelia did it" theory. 

maybe it was accidental, and everything she has been doing since then has been damage control and obfuscation of the truth (her book, marrying one of the key detectives, etc)

But man, it is weird how interested she is in the case, in particular in the 90s... and those cryptic comments from her "ghost" in 2015?

I'm probably wrong, but really nobody else introduced so far is as compelling.

I know this sounds hokey, but how many times do we hear about criminals going back to the scene of their crimes or enjoying watching the police flail around and try to outsmart them.  

I think she's getting more of a rise by hiding in plain site and being so central to the investigation.  

I mean, she was really enjoying playing detective about the walgreens fingerprints while effectively taking her husband off the board for that part of the follow up.

I think this was mentioned earlier, but it's not a stretch that the farmer may have misremebered which of the couple in the fancy brown car was black and which was white. 

Maybe it's too obvious and I'm just in love with my theory so I'm making pieces fit, but I just see red flags anytime she's on the screen. 
    Michelle