Starting the wire

anything to look out for? What is the shows focus? I started about 2 years ago and only got to episode 4 but I’m starting again. At the moment I hold breaking bad as the best thing I’ve seen on tv so I wonder if this can do better 

Comments

• edited January 22
    A modern Greek tragedy. I’d comfortably say the most socially aware piece of fiction of the 21st Century. Some hessitate to even call it fiction. It has changed the politics of myself and people I know. The war on drugs told by somebody who see’s the bigger picture, who knows it inside out. The sad part is it comes with the sour taste of how relevant it is 15 years later. 

Breaking Bad is great. But get past those first 4 episodes and The Wire stays with you forever. 
    iMatty94
  • A modern Greek tragedy. I’d comfortably say the most socially aware piece of fiction of the 21st Century. Some hessitate to even call it fiction. It has changed the politics of myself and people I know. The war on drugs told by somebody who see’s the bigger picture, who knows it inside out. The sad part is it comes with the sour taste of how relevant it is 15 years later. 

Breaking Bad is great, but you get past those first 4 episodes and it will stay with you forever. 
    Do you mean the 1st 4 episodes of the wire? Breaking Bad hooked me from about half an hour into the pilot. Or whatever point it was when that police car goes past Walter 
  • edited January 21
    iMatty94 said:
    A modern Greek tragedy. I’d comfortably say the most socially aware piece of fiction of the 21st Century. Some hessitate to even call it fiction. It has changed the politics of myself and people I know. The war on drugs told by somebody who see’s the bigger picture, who knows it inside out. The sad part is it comes with the sour taste of how relevant it is 15 years later. 

Breaking Bad is great, but you get past those first 4 episodes and it will stay with you forever. 
    Do you mean the 1st 4 episodes of the wire? Breaking Bad hooked me from about half an hour into the pilot. Or whatever point it was when that police car goes past Walter 
    I mean The Wire. It’s infamously tough to get through the first half season the first time through. 
    iMatty94
  • iMatty94 said:

I mean The Wire. It’s infamously tough to get through the first half season the first time through. 
    Thanks I’ll keep that in mind as that’s around the point I stopped last time 
    CALVlLlAIN
  • iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:

Promise me you won’t do that..
  • Also, stick out the first part of the 2nd season if you make it through Season 1.  People seem to dislike the change of venue in the 2nd season, which I actually really liked.  
    iMatty94hisdudeness915rkcrawf
  • iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:

Won’t do what? 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:

Won’t do what? 
    Won't stop this time
    CALVlLlAINiMatty94
  • iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:
    iMatty94 said:

Won’t do what? 
    Bail, 100% worth your time.
  • Also, stick out the first part of the 2nd season if you make it through Season 1.  People seem to dislike the change of venue in the 2nd season, which I actually really liked.  
    2 might actually be my favourite.
  • An actual Greek tragedy.

Also, stick out the first part of the 2nd season if you make it through Season 1.  People seem to dislike the change of venue in the 2nd season, which I actually really liked.  
    2 might actually be my favourite.

CALVlLlAINmylifeaskirkVumeisterrkcrawf
  • edited January 22
    I get pretty jealous of people who get to watch the wire for the first time...

Just really pay attention to the characters and what job they have, who is the boss of who...its very confusing for the first little while....you just get thrown into this gigantic world, it wasn't until midway through season 2 when I started to go....ahhh....this is amazing
  • The best advice I can give anyone watching The Wire is to have faith. You have to put your trust and faith in David Simon. If at any time you’re thinking “Wtf does this have to with anything?” Just go with it and all will be revealed. 
    mylifeaskirk
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Brett68 said:

Just really pay attention to the characters and what job they have, who is the boss of who...its very confusing for the first little while....you just get thrown into this gigantic world, it wasn't until midway through season 2 when I started to go....ahhh....this is amazing
    It's been 7 or 8 years since I watched it, bought it on DVD, then again on DVD as a gift, then the Blu-Ray, listened to two podcasts (one episode by episode, and one season by season) and I still love to hear people's thoughts who are making their way though for the first time.

Watching the beginning of the True Detective premiere, when they were sitting in the junkyard, drinking beer and shooting at a mouse I immediately thought "Bunk and McNulty", and knew A.Ron was going to make that comparison, and sure enough he did.
    rkcrawf
  • Brett68 said:

I agree with this.  When starting The Wire, it's actually important to pay full attention and not be doing something else (like playing on the phone or ipad or tablet or something).  There are so many characters that you get introduced to and if you're not paying attention, it's easy to lost track of who is who and how they related to the story. 

Also, assuming you enjoy and finish season 1, just be aware that the storyline slightly switches in season 2.  At first you may not like it, but season 2 is definitely under rated by most people.

Enjoy!  The Wire is my favorite show and something I could always re-watch and discuss.

hisdudeness915ken halerkcrawf
  • The best advice I can give anyone watching The Wire is to have faith. You have to put your trust and faith in David Simon. If at any time you’re thinking “Wtf does this have to with anything?” Just go with it and all will be revealed. 
    All the pieces matter...
    hisdudeness915CALVlLlAINrkcrawf
  • Breaking Bad is #1 for me and The Wire is #2. I remember things picking up after episode four, so stick with it! I couldn't stop watching it once I got into it. 
  • Cory said:
    Brett68 said:

It's been 7 or 8 years since I watched it, bought it on DVD, then again on DVD as a gift, then the Blu-Ray, listened to two podcasts (one episode by episode, and one season by season) and I still love to hear people's thoughts who are making their way though for the first time.

Watching the beginning of the True Detective premiere, when they were sitting in the junkyard, drinking beer and shooting at a mouse I immediately thought "Bunk and McNulty", and knew A.Ron was going to make that comparison, and sure enough he did.
    Sounds a lot like me when i first started....4 years ago i saw it for the first time....immediately re-watched....Sepinwalls re-caps and comment section were amazing and really helped me understand and appreciate it even more the second time around.....and i literally enjoy it more and more every time.

Matt ide suggest reading these (newbie verision only)

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/05/wire-season-1-episode-1-target-newbies.html

Which podcasts did you find and enjoy? I have never really found one that i stuck with....

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I picked this up the other day. I never managed to finish the 5th season for whatever reason, so I will need to give this whole thing a re-watch before giving it a read. 

https://www.amazon.com/All-Pieces-Matter-Inside-Story/dp/0451498143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548188365&sr=8-1&keywords=all+the+pieces+matter
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Brett68 said:

Which podcasts did you find and enjoy? I have never really found one that i stuck with....

I'm not sure what the "season by season" one was, I just googled it and found it.  Shortly after I found Natasha's Unspoiled The Wire, and she and RoShawn were only on early season two.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited January 29
    @iMatty94 Update?
  • I just started again with the Wire. Watched the first 5 episodes a couple of years ago but never went on.
    Finished the first season today and I am going to continue watching.

Coryken halerkcrawf
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Updates!  Updates!
  • I am on the last episode of season 4, really digging it. :-)
    CALVlLlAIN
  • edited February 3
    Schlupp said:
    I am on the last episode of season 4, really digging it. :-)
    Fav season/episode so far?
  • Schlupp said:
    I am on the last episode of season 4, really digging it. :-)
    Fav season/episode so far?
    Since I am binging it it's kind of hard to tell the episodes apart. I think season 3 is my favourite so far, I really liked the Stringer Bell arc  and Major Colwin and his free zones . And how it got all torn apart because of the politics involved.

I liked the final episode of season 2 where the "greeks" just walked away. Business. Always Business. :-)

• Yea. I love hearing ppls thoughts on this stuff!

Season 3 / 4 are tied for the best season for me i think....when S3 ended i said...no way can season 4 be better....but damn it was just as good...Love how they shifted prez to teacher and made him so likeable
  • ivarvassivarvass Norway
    edited February 6
    Recently did like you Matty and got started for real with the Wire.

I've always been told by friends I trust in the series department that it's one of the all time greats, but I never got around to doing it properly. Remember watching the first 10 episodes back in the days, not being hooked at all. I remember at the time thinking it was a really difficult show to get into, and truth to be told it was really hard wrapping my head around this time around as well. Also I had no subtitles back then which didn't help at all. Not having english as my first language I had real trouble keeping up with the dialogue, how anyone could watch it without subs is beyond me.

Anyway - I'm actually doing The Wire grind now in a slow & steady pace, currently at S3E3. This is by no means a visual masterpiece, and there are some pretty cartoonish characters every now and then, but I feel confident about The Wire being one of the best series I've ever seen. If it doesn't shit the bed completely in the remaining episodes, I think I've got a new addition to my top 3 all time favorite shows.
  • IMO your right in the heart of the best stuff in the series, the next 20 episodes are about as good as it gets!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm wondering how @iMatty94 is making out.