Honorable Mentions:

1. Halt and Catch Fire

2. Queen Sugar

3. Justified 

4. Southland

5. Game of Thrones

Comments

• Grey's Anatomy over Mad Man gtfo
  • I think the list is in chronological order.  
    Dummyasmallcatken hale3Jane
  • "I’d like to say we came up with some bulletproof formula — length plus tears divided by jokes — but truth is, we went by feel."

What I hate about lists like this is that it is entirely subjective and almost without merit.  Its all personal and almost enrages me because it doesn't make sense.  Look at how they made this "bulletproof formula" and it just doesn't make sense how this is the list they came out with.

How do you put The Wire in this list, and then also look at something like Grey's Anatomy and consider it among the BEST dramas since The Sopranos. 

Mr Robot, Fargo, Better Call Saul, The Crown, Luther, Narcos, and many others have truly compelling characters and story lines that are hard to look away from. Idk - end rant.

mac.maguire
  • I think the list is in chronological order.  
    Completely missed that. I saw Grey's Anatomy over Mad Men and flew into a blinding rage. 
    wireLOST24Noelmac.maguire
  • Dummy said:
    I think the list is in chronological order.  
    Completely missed that. I saw Grey's Anatomy over Mad Men and flew into a blinding rage. 
    So did I 100%.
    Dummy
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Mr Robot, Fargo, Better Call Saul, The Crown, Luther, Narcos, and many others have truly compelling characters and story lines that are hard to look away from. Idk - end rant.

It seems to only be American shows, which would be why The Crown and Luther aren’t there. Otherwise I’d also be questioning why Happy Valley wasn’t there. 
    3Jane
  • Dee said:

It seems to only be American shows, which would be why The Crown and Luther aren’t there. Otherwise I’d also be questioning why Happy Valley wasn’t there. 
    Oh man!  Happy Valley is so damn good.  Wish they did more series.  The lead actress on there is so good.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @wireLOST24 There’s going to be another season this year some time. I can’t wait. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Haha wow. Leaving GoT off the main list will rile some folks up. I absolutely adore Adventure Time but it should not be on that list. It is a beautiful, well crafted cartoon that has had many dramatic storylines, however, it's a comedy way way more than it is a drama.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Haha wow. Leaving GoT off the main list will rile some folks up.
    ... which I was just about to post on!   How do you give Game of Thrones an 'honorable mention' yet freaking Jane the Virgin is on the main list?  Someone needs to re-evaluate.
    Noel
  • Justified is exactly were it belongs - outside the top twenty.  Never understood the love it got in the Bald Move Universe.  There I said it.
    Murderbear
  • tom_g said:
    Justified is exactly were it belongs - outside the top twenty.  Never understood the love it got in the Bald Move Universe.  There I said it.
    BOOOOOOOOOOooooo
    MurderbearNoel
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 23
    I haven't seen Grey's Anatomy in over a decade, but the medical soap opera stuff was completely unwatchable as far as I was concerned.

Then again the only medical show I can watch is Scrubs.

Edit: I would think Mr. Robot would be in consideration....
    The Expanse, maybe after a few more seasons.
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited January 23
    tom_g said:
    Justified is exactly were it belongs - outside the top twenty.  Never understood the love it got in the Bald Move Universe.  There I said it.
    edit - never mind
  • edited January 24
    Happy to see the Leftovers get some love here but to have Game of Thrones as a runner up seems like a huge mistake.  Also give Mr. Robot and The Expanse 1 more solid season and they deserve to be right up there with this list in my opinion but I feel like both of these shows are so niche that they'll never get the props they truly deserve. Expanse only became as well known as it has because of the giant backlash after it was not renewed and Bezos personally speaking out on his interest in saving the show. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 24
    tom_g said:

Doctor_NickMurderbear
  • Six feet under (still one of my favorite final episodes)
    Tulipblossom
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited January 24
    House MD > Grey’s Anatomy, but I don’t know that either should be in the top 20

Edit: Now that I think about it with these kinds of shows The Knick > House MD > Grey’s Anatomy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Six feet under (still one of my favorite final episodes)
    It hasn’t aged super well, and it sort putters in the third season, but I largely agree and definitely about the final episode. It’s probably my favorite finale. 
    Elisa
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    tom_g said:
    Are you saying its love wasn't...Justified?
    tom_gmac.maguireNoel
  • Six feet under (still one of my favorite final episodes)
    It hasn’t aged super well, and it sort putters in the third season, but I largely agree and definitely about the final episode. It’s probably my favorite finale. 
    I've been kind of afraid of the not aging thing. Been awhile and my memory is a of a collective feeling so i tend to forget the puttering. I wouldn't throw down to put it on the list but wanted to make sure it got mentioned in the discussion :)
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Six feet under (still one of my favorite final episodes)
    I've been kind of afraid of the not aging thing. Been awhile and my memory is a of a collective feeling so i tend to forget the puttering. I wouldn't throw down to put it on the list but wanted to make sure it got mentioned in the discussion :)
    I recently went back and rewatched the pilot. At the time it was ground-breaking in how it depicted its gay characters. But because of how ground-breaking it was, its like the show was super proud of it (and it should be), but in today's world, having a character who is gay is not as fresh and crazy an idea, so the depiction stands out like a sore thumb. The show still belongs on this list, though. Nothing is future-proof, and it is a great watch. 
    mylifeaskirk
  • edited January 26
    What’s the deal with The West Wing having 2 “halves”. Sorkin’s 1-4 and someone else did 5-7. Why? I always see people say it fell off after Sorkin left. 
  • No Mr. Robot, Sharp Objects, True Detective....

Lost at number 6? I think many would have a problem with it even being in the list.

*engages jetpack, escapes thread*
  • No Mr. Robot, Sharp Objects, True Detective....

Lost at number 6? I think many would have a problem with it even being in the list.

*engages jetpack, escapes thread*

I believe the list is chronological.  

3Jane
  • Graham said:
    tom_g said:
    Are you saying its love wasn't...Justified?
    What’s the problem with it, never seen it.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Lost
    The Americans
    Ray Donavon
    Mad Men
    This is us 
    Justified
    House
    Leftovers
    Hell on wheels
    Game of thrones
    The Affair 
    Vikings
    Greys A

• edited January 29
    Why is Atlanta and Adventure Time listed as dramas? 

I've never heard of Enlightened, Rectify, Queen Sugar, or Southland.  Are they good?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @ken hale Enlightened is fantastic. Can’t speak for the others. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 29
    Dee said:
    @ken hale Enlightened is fantastic. Can’t speak for the others. 

I haven't thought about Enlightened in a while, but now I am and remembering how great it really was. I need to rewatch sometime. Maybe it was ahead of it's time? Seems like there is more demand now for 30 minute high quality shows - Atlanta, Barry, Homecoming, The Good Place, etc...
    Dee3Jane