Offline entertainment recommendations

Hey guys!
Next week I'm going to the hospital and frankly, boredom is what I'm most afraid of. Most likely I won't have access to wifi and I'm only bringing my phone, and I'd rather use my mobile data for messaging and stuff instead of streaming things. I know the obvious answer is books, and I like reading, but I don't know if I want to read for hours and hours every day. I also just found out that because of flu season visitors won't be allowed unless it's an emergency.
So I'm looking for anything I can do offline: books, podcasts I can download and listen to, maybe some puzzle-y type mobile games? Or really anything that'll keep me from going mad of boredom. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Books are always my go-to for flights and wifi-less situtations. 

If you're into it and they'll allow you an exact-o knife and glue, there's paper model building. This might be incredibly frustrating or boring, or an awesome idea - depending on your disposition.

I've had this one (the Rocinante from the Expanse) printed and baaaarely started for months. If I had a couple days to kill, I'd get back to it.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/40215-rocinante-released.html 

This isn't my work, but this is what it looks like complete:

For podcasts - I'd take advantage of the long uninterrupted hours by going for Hardcore History. Dan does such a good job weaving the narrative that it really benefits from listening all at once if you can swing it.
    Reni
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Crossword puzzles or Sudoku perhaps? If you like mobile games on your phone, would you consider buying a Nintendo DS and a few games? Their game catalog is pretty extensive. Also you I am sure there are places that sell portable blu-ray players with a screen attached. You could come armed with some movies. Since it sounds like you will be staying for a few days, I don't doubt your room will have a TV in it. But maybe that is an assumption. 
    Reni
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Does the hospital you'll be at not offer wifi?  I thought hospitals offered wifi to their patients and visitors.
  • You could download audio books to your phone before going in.
    Reni
  • What is “offline”?
    NoelMichelle
  • Coloring books are chill
    Reni
  • Thanks for the ideas! I'm kind of "over" Sudoku, lately I'm enjoying nonograms but they can be fiddly on a small screen. Haven't done regular crosswords in a while though so that can kill a few hours. And I do have some coloring books stashed somewhere that I haven't used in ages either.

@Flukes Holy crap, I need that paper Roci in my life! I've never done any kind of modeling, but over Christmas I've built a miniature dollhouse thingy with my niece for the first time (with working lights and all) and that was super fun. How do you get started on this? What kind of paper do you need to print this on? I doubt I can get this going before I leave, but as soon as I get home I'm all over it.

@Garthgou81 Yeah, I don't know if I'll have a tv or not. I feel weird about bringing a blu-ray player or my laptop, not sure why. I haven't stayed in a hospital overnight in ca. 15 years so I have no clue what people normally do...

@Michelle I know our local hospital doesn't offer wifi. Though I'll be going to a different city now and I have no clue if they do or not, so I'd rather go prepared.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    There is a fantastic puzzle game called gorogoa that is available on a lot of platforms including ios and android.  It should take about 2 hours to play all the way through assuming you don't get considerably stuck at any point.  

It is absolutely beautiful and worth every penny.  ($4.99 on Android, $2.99 on IOS).  Check out http://gorogoa.com/ for links to the various places you can buy it, and watch this short teaser below.

Reni
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Its also not like you will be completely isolated (I assume). When I was in the hospital a few years back there was always something going on or people puttering around. You can talk to them and such. Despite it being a hospital, they really aren't the best places to get solid rest since there is so much movement and activity. I was there for approximately 5 days, and despite only having my phone don't recall feeling much boredom. 
  • You could download some Dan Carlin podcasts and get history books with lots of pictures and it would almost be like watching a documentary.