Director: Nic Pizzolatto
Writer: David Milch & Nic Pizzolatto

The David Milch episode!!

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Pizzolatto is directing now?  :o 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This is gonna be the big one....
  • Was the man in the suit with the Viet Cong haunting Hays supposed to be the Purcell cousin? I definitely got the vibe that his death may have been an extrajudicial killing on their part when they showed how his skeleton was found. Him saying that he had to warn Roland seemed to confirm it, but I couldn't really tell if they were the same guy.
  • I think by the end of this, present day Wayne is going to play his recorder and it’s going to be the entire case unfolded with the answer to the mystery 
  • wolfmanwolfman Los Angeles
    It’s been fun listening to you guys fumble with Mahershala Ali’s name but did you know that’s actually his shortened name? His full first name is Mahershalalhashbaz. Can’t wait to hear you pronounce that!
    ken hale
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited January 28
    Adding to the theory that the interviewer in 2015 is Julie’s daughter....could Julie have been stealing a pregnancy test/baby items in 1990? Just fuel for a fire of a theory I don’t think will go anywhere :#
  • wolfman said:
    It’s been fun listening to you guys fumble with Mahershala Ali’s name but did you know that’s actually his shortened name? His full first name is Mahershalalhashbaz. Can’t wait to hear you pronounce that!
    Yeah, I saw that on IMDB last week and thanked him aloud for shortening it.  Although I bet A.Ron can say that one because it was notorious for being one of (if not) the longest names in the bible.
    PeggyB
    And it’s clear that Wayne gets kicked off of the investigation at some point for not being willing to throw a random in jail
    ken hale
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 28
    Is one-eyed Sam this season's man on the lawnmower?  Or, what if he had a son and that son is the scarred man in the brown sedan?  Could Sam either have known about it, or helped him?  Why did Sam need to buy all those straw dolls?  (I'm betting it was actually Sam and not some other one-eyed guy.)

I'm also thinking back to Amelia and Lucy's conversation.  Lucy seemed to feel very, very guilty about something and I don't think it was that she had been cheating on Tom.  She lost it when Amelia mentioned her being able to talk to the police.  Is there some involvement on Lucy's part...?
    ken hale
    Michelle said:
    Is one-eyed Sam this season's man on the lawnmower?  Or, what if he had a son and that son is the scarred man in the brown sedan?  Could Sam either have known about it, or helped him?  Why did Sam need to buy all those straw dolls?  (I'm betting it was actually Sam and not some other one-eyed guy.)

I'm also thinking back to Amelia and Lucy's conversation.  Lucy seemed to feel very, very guilty about something and I don't think it was that she had been cheating on Tom.  She lost it when Amelia mentioned her being able to talk to the police.  Is there some involvement on Lucy's part...?
    Plus she did use the phrase “ children should (shud) laugh”
    MichellemylifeaskirkMurderbearken halePeggyB
  • The Easter egg in the promo for next week is pretty bad ass
    calebthrower said:
    Plus she did use the phrase “ children should (shud) laugh”
    Yes!  That too!  Although I suppose she could have been referencing the note, but still.
    mylifeaskirk
  • edited January 28
    The Easter egg in the promo for next week is pretty bad ass
    what easter egg?  I watched several times to see what you meant.  let me know if you can

EDIT - OMG OMG NVM - I found it.  Awesome!!!
  • And it’s clear that Wayne gets kicked off of the investigation at some point for not being willing to throw a random in jail
    Seems like he’s not totally feeling the boy in the interrogation room right before they get the call about the standoff. Wonder if he’s the one. 
    calebthrower
    what easter egg?  I watched several times to see what you meant.  let me know if you can

The website on Elisa's laptop?  Nice little touch.  :)
  • Adding to the theory that the interviewer in 2015 is Julie’s daughter....could Julie have been stealing a pregnancy test/baby items in 1990? Just fuel for a fire of a theory I don’t think will go anywhere :#
    Yeah I am really onboard for this, came up in last weeks thread as well, in this episode with her not wanting to disclose all her cards yet, and something as small as her bleached blonde hair being the same exact color as Lucy's, her Grandmother, seems small but its the small things. (I admit it is a longshot)
  • I held off for 2 episodes but I'm calling it...This is my favorite season of the three.
    This writer/director combo is fantastic. They really went all-in on the racism and bigotry this episode as well. "Pick-----y" is a real trigger word for me: I heard it a lot as a young girl from my grandmother, who I adored, using it in that oblivious "kindly" racist way. 
    Henry's a detective?! 
    Are we going to see an evil Driving Miss Daisy scenario with some Hoyt heiress? 
    Please let Woodward live, although they'll probably bring the hammer down on him. 
    Wayne still has love for Amelia's memory in 2015; I can't imagine he doesn't know all about her past by then, but has his disease suppressed it? Nagging question, as he seems to be living alone, why he doesn't at least have at least visiting help.

There is so friggin much to dig down on this time, can't wait for the podcast. 
    Henry is definitely sleeping with the interview lady. The two characters were on a casual first name basis last episode and this episode they really wanted to show us that she's involved with someone on the sly.
    Michelleken halemostlywright
    Michelle said:

I think they are all red herrings and that there's a "higher conspiracy" involving the white townsfolk as mentioned.  The information about the one eyed man and scarred face all came from shady townspeople and the pastor, who all seemed like they were hiding something.
  • So are all those people Wayne hallucinates people he has killed? The Soldiers from Vietnam, as well as the person in the suit. If so, who is the guy in the suit…

wolfman said:
    Henry is definitely sleeping with the interview lady. The two characters were on a casual first name basis last episode and this episode they really wanted to show us that she's involved with someone on the sly.
    Agreed.  That clear shot of the messy bed and two wine glasses at Elisa's hotel room solidified my exact same thought - she's messing around with Henry.  Here's where I go deeper:  what if Henry is investigating the cold case (since we now know he's a detective) and suspects that Wayne had some involvement - hiding evidence, etc - and is using Elisa, his girlfriend, to get info from Wayne without having to do it directly, since that would make him feel guilty?  That's why he's keeping a close watch over the interviews - not just because he drove Wayne there, but because he's getting that info.  

I'm probably wrong about that part, and I have a million theories going on in my head about this season.  You never know though.
    wolfman
    edited January 28
    BroRad33 said:

So are all those people Wayne hallucinates people he has killed? The Soldiers from Vietnam, as well as the person in the suit. If so, who is the guy in the suit…

I'm thinking the guy in the suit could be the cousin from earlier in the season. We know he's no longer alive so maybe he was killed in some below the law activities by Wayne and Roland. We've seen them rough up a dude already so it's not out of the realm of possibilities
  • I can't quite figure out this part:
    "I have a mental handicap. The other stuff don't work for me without this." (points to his beer, close in on Amelia)
    edited January 28
    Kate23 said:
    I held off for 2 episodes but I'm calling it...This is my favorite season of the three.
    This writer/director combo is fantastic. They really went all-in on the racism and bigotry this episode as well. "Pick-----y" is a real trigger word for me: I heard it a lot as a young girl from my grandmother, who I adored, using it in that oblivious "kindly" racist way. 
    Henry's a detective?! 
    Are we going to see an evil Driving Miss Daisy scenario with some Hoyt heiress? 
    Please let Woodward live, although they'll probably bring the hammer down on him. 
    Wayne still has love for Amelia's memory in 2015; I can't imagine he doesn't know all about her past by then, but has his disease suppressed it? Nagging question, as he seems to be living alone, why he doesn't at least have at least visiting help.

There is so friggin much to dig down on this time, can't wait for the podcast. 
    I think I agree. Harrelson and McConaughey we so good but this season feels more thought out and whole (even with 4 eps to go). Its clear that season 2 was just rushed and suffered because of it. I continue to be impressed at the way Pizzolotto re-wrote/added major dialogue to flow with the racial angle. It permeates almost every scene without being over the top.  I think its adding another dimension that season 1 didn't have. Plus, Ali and Dorff are killing it
    BroRad33 said:

So are all those people Wayne hallucinates people he has killed? The Soldiers from Vietnam, as well as the person in the suit. If so, who is the guy in the suit…

Not sure but this is a good theory. One thing is certain, that scene was super effective and creepy AF!!! 
    BroRad33
  • Kate23 said:
    I can't quite figure out this part:
    "I have a mental handicap. The other stuff don't work for me without this." (points to his beer, close in on Amelia)
    I thought the was saying the he can't have just a physical relationship, he needs the personal/intimate stuff. As in "the naughty bits don't work if I don't know/like you". But this is an interesting read. They hint at his drinking some, but he's never really "drunk" visibly. When Roland talks to him at the VFW he's got a few shot glasses in front of him. And he mentions sticking to beer when he want's to keep his shit together. It's all there to see but not hammer-over-the-head style. Not sure what they're getting at. Now you've got me wondering, too.
    ken hale
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited January 28
    Michelle said:

The website on Elisa's laptop?  Nice little touch.  :)
    Wow, OMG, can't wait for next week now.  OMG.  Have never bothered to watched the previews.  You made me do it.  I couldn't make it out - went online to find a screenshot.  OMG.

MichelleNaugustine
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    BroRad33 said:

Those were my thought as well, also makes me wonder about Amelia, but I can't see him having killed her.
    BroRad33
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Ah, fade-to-black-gunshot. The classics never die. 
  • Not sure I've ever seen a fade-to-black-claymore mine-explosion.
    Natter CastMichelleCapeGabemylifeaskirk