613 - "The Promise"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Adam Arkin
Writer: Graham Yost & Fred Golan & Dave Andron & Benjamin Cavell
Series finale!  

Comments

• JasmynPJasmynP Washington, DC
    How has no one commented on this episode yet? I've been on pins and needles the whole time. I've been disappointed with most of the season but I think they might have pulled this one off.
    Ok yeah. That's scene was everything. They pulled it off.
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    Lol, I am petty sure A-Ron called this spot on. Hole in the hat, missed the shot by centimeters! Wow, and Ava runs off in his car to top it off, classic! We still have 20 minutes left too!
    JayInMemphis
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    Wow, I don't know why, but that felt like such a fitting conclusion to an absolutely amazing show. It wasn't mind blowing or spectacular, but it worked. It made the show feel complete and me feel perfectly satisfied. Congrats Justified, ending a fantastic series on a satisfying note.
    JasmynPJovial_FalconJayInMemphis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Those last scenes were perfect.  I may or may not have cried a little.
    Boyd's performance in the conversation with Raylan was masterful. Walton Goggins is exceptional.
    pavlovsbellOriginal_JosephJayInMemphis
  • I absolutely adored it. Great way to leave all the characters. Loved the lie.
    ksa1001
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Incredible. What a great ending. I am completely with that.
    edited April 2015
    Duplicate post because my phone hates me. In spite of that it was an amazing ending to an amazing series.

ETA: I was not on board for most of this season. A lot of it didn't make sense and some of the character choices didn't seem to fit. I'm so surprised I liked the finale as much as I did. I thought it capped the series well.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

Those last scenes were perfect.  I may or may not have cried a little.

Same here. That could have been so cheesy on any less of a show.

After all the bullshit and all the jabs back and forth (right up to the end), Raylan and Boyd share a real moment that represents the culmination of all they've been through. Also, I would imagine the line "we dug coal together" is a metaphor for their lives on opposite sides of the law. One run in with death after another, and no matter what the motive, in the end they both were just digging at the dark side of man.

On a side note, for those of you guys that haven't ever seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle, it's a hell of an old school crime movie. One of those old movies where you just keep thinking "holy shit, that's blah blah blah from such and such."
    pavlovsbell
    I hope Olyphant and Goggins act together again.  Their chemistry is off the chart.

I googled the book that Raylan gave Tim.  Elmore Leonard dubbed The Friends of Eddie Coyle "the best crime novel ever written."  Leonard penned an introduction for a recent reprint, in which he credited Higgins with teaching him how to write bad guys, dialogue, and letting the characters dictate your story.

That was probably a better tribute to Leonard than by using one of his books.  Class act, that Graham Yost.

AmeliaA_Ron_HubbardJasmynPOriginal_Josephksa1001JayInMemphis
    @Freddy  Yeah, I was waiting for, "We dug coal together."  What a great move to have Boyd say it this time instead of Raylan, especially given that Boyd was unconscious when Raylan said that in the pilot.  Shows how in tune those two are.
    JasmynPOriginal_Joseph
  • Amazing episode!

I knew Raylan would let Ava go when I saw the child. Raylan is never going to be a by the book marshal, thus the black hat he's now wearing. He does seem to be in a better place now, though, more at peace.

The last scene was perfect. Conjugal visits in the future?

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yep, I think Raylan takes her in if not for the kids, and even moreso, Boyd's kid.  Raylan would like nothing more than the Crowder line to end with Boyd, and the only way to do that is to keep Boyd away from Ava and young Zach.  Putting Ava in prison and Zach in foster care would not be a great way to do that.

You guys need to read Sepinwall this morning.  His review is awesome, digging into all of the call backs and easter eggs in this episode (god I am so jealous of dudes with early screener access!!) and a nice little interview with Yost.

Can't wait to watch it again!
    Ameliaksa1001
  • Yep, I think Raylan takes her in if not for the kids, and even moreso, Boyd's kid.  Raylan would like nothing more than the Crowder line to end with Boyd, and the only way to do that is to keep Boyd away from Ava and young Zach.  Putting Ava in prison and Zach in foster care would not be a great way to do that.

It also mirrors Raylan's own past: the father a criminal, the mother an abused wife. He wants the child away from Boyd but not separated from his mother and placed in the foster care system.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ^^^For sure. He knows that taking her in is the same as giving the kid a prison sentence (if not by getting chewed up by the system as a youth, by exposing him to his father which will almost certainly lead to the kid going to actual prison at some point). So I wonder, do you think Raylan came up with the fake death idea right on the spot, or just went with his gut and then that came to him later?
  • edited April 2015
    Perfect ending to Justified! Everyone gets a (relatively) happy ending. Ava is free with her and Boyd's kid, Raylan is in Miami with his daughter, and Boyds in prison, preaching (which is weirdly a realistic happy ending for him). And I love how Ava naming him Zachariah is like a hialrious slap in the face to Boyd, what with him trying to kill Boyd. While everyone though it was going to be a big showdown that ended with many deaths, they surprise and give an even better ending. Plus, those last Boyd preaching, and "We dug coal together scenes" scenes were the absolute perfect way to end this show.
    Also, Wynn Duffy lives! "Down on All Fours Dog Grooming"
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I felt like everything from Raylan's duel with Boone up to his conversation with Boyd felt a little disjointed, but that conversation was totally worth it. Somehow the fact that Raylan's lying makes it more poignant. Boyd almost seemed like a sad little kid, but there was some mutual consideration if not respect. I like that neither one killed the other. 
  • Loved it.   I think they beat Season Two, because the series works so well and because it wraps up so many relationships that they spent six seasons building.

- Ava's kid was a little cliche on paper, but a great twist all the same.   I was assuming that she was just another Elmore Leonard villain - sympathetic, in over her head, but still essentially selfish - and I was ok with that, but the kid retroactively explained so many decisions.  Any theories on when in this season she learned?

- Speaking of retroactive decisions, my reading is that Ava did love Boyd, but once they had a child on the way, she wasn't willing to go out like Bonnie and Clyde.   Her explanation to Boyd was a lie to protect the child, but it broke him all the same.  Loved it.

- They did such a great job with the relationships on the show.   The Raylan-Boyd conversation was awesome, but last scenes between Raylan and each of Ava, Winona, Art, Tim, and Loretta, were all gold.  (Rachel got robbed again).  In particular, seeing Loretta actually express an honest emotion when she thought Raylan might be dead got some sand in my eyes.

My season ranking, from favorite to least:

1: Season six.  See above.   I'll grant them the plot holes - this was a thirteen episode freaking caper movie that tied together all those relationships and plots, and paid off better than I could have hoped.

2: Season one. (Tied with two, below).   I like season one a lot.  It's a lot of case of the week episodes, but I love Elmore Leonard's short stories, and they were good case of the week stories and it had some moments that I'll never forget like Boyd in the woods.   It also had my second favorite line of the series.  ("At this moment, Raylan, I think you're just about the only friend I have left in this world.")

2: Season two.  Nothing to say about this season that hasn't been said.

4: Season three.  Didn't exactly come together, but Carpetbagger and Limehouse were fun to watch.

5: Season four.  Drew Thompson was a long McGuffin that didn't really pay off, but still some good moments.

6: Season five.  In hindsight, a lot of season five was setting up stuff for six, but the prison stuff ended up dragging the season down, and the Crowes were interesting but not really enough to carry the season.

Favorite line of the series:  Raylan:  You have a file on me?   Vasquez:  Yup.  Raylan:  I'd like to get a look at that file.   Vasquez:  You want to see that file, I'll tell you what to do.  First, get a pencil, and then you write down all the stuff you know you shouldn't have done.
    trippyAllison
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    They pulled it off! I'm amazed, but they managed to craft only the 2nd satisfying series finale in this "golden age" of television (Breaking Bad being the first). 

All the beats hit, the showdown ended as was predicted, but no less satisfying.

Question: Would it have been wanted/satisfying to have Loretta shoot Boon an extra time, or would it just have demeaned Raylan's accuracy?

PS: I also loved seeing some familiar faces as Raylan was running through the suspects of who could have gotten out of Harlan. It was very Clue of them.
    edited April 2015
    This was the most satisfying finale for a recent show (that I've seen).  It surprised me in several ways (Boyd surviving, the extended postscript) and it gave me the things I wanted (Ava getting away, Loretta surviving to become a better Mags, Raylan going to Florida to be a good dad), but it delivered on all those things with a slight twist.  The things I cared about felt earned, so the typical Justified shaggy storytelling (how did Boyd escape the mountain?) didn't bother me.

Earlier in the season, I had wondered if Ava was pregnant, but I abandoned that speculation because I thought it was too soap-opera-y.  However, it makes perfect thematic sense to have both Ava and Raylan escape Harlan to end their respective cycles of violence and raise their children away from the decaying influence of their hometown.  Little Zachariah in his buttoned-up Boyd Crowder for Children apparel, digging in his sandbox like his daddy once dug for coal was a bit on the nose, but that's Justified for you.  Always see the absurdity in the tragedy.

My season ranking:
    1.  Six:  There is not a bad or even weak episode.  It pulls together so many themes and threads of the previous five seasons and ends on a surprisingly moving and sentimental, but thoroughly satisfying note.  Bonus: we finally got a decent amount of Tim Gutterson.

2.  Two:  Super close second to Season Six, but honestly, I think Margo Martindale makes this season.  Jeremy Davies is also incredible, and Boyd's failed attempt to walk the straight and narrow is heartbreaking.  The story of Harlan's ill-fated struggle against the coal mining industry and the criminals who want to rape the town even further is tragic, but there are some weak episodes (ahem, Winona) that blemish the season for me.  Still, it's right up there with Season 6.

3.  One:  I like Season 1.  It has the pilot, which is like a little film unto itself, and the final act that snaps the show into focus.  Plus, as @Original_Joseph noted, the case of the week episodes were good.  It was a season packed with notable guest stars, most of them from Deadwood.

4.  Three:  I'm not as big a fan of S3 as most.  It feels overstuffed, as if they didn't know how to top Mags, so they went overboard on the colorful villains.  Quarles was a little cartoonish for me, and Limehouse was too one-note.  

5.  Four: Much like the snitch storyline of S6, I just couldn't care about the Drew Thompson mystery.  It's almost as if the show realized that S3 was too overstuffed with crazy villains, so they went in the opposite direction of a streamlined mystery with no villain.  I give them credit for trying something new, and it does have one of the best episodes of the show, "Decoy."

6.  Five:  I don't think it's a terrible season, but Michael Rappaport sticks out as an usually poor casting choice.  The season also suffered from rushing to course correct after unexpectedly losing Edi Gathegi (Jean Baptiste).  Ava's storyline was necessary to setup S6, but it's extremely difficult to isolate one character from the main storyline and make that entertaining.

@ksa1001  I loved Loretta's moment of triumph.  She prevented Boon from being able to finish off Raylan and watched him die.  It was a fitting payback to Boon for letting Derrick slowly bleed out (and for tormenting her), and it let Raylan remain supreme as the more accurate (and smarter) gunslinger, if not quite still the fastest.  Also, Loretta saving Raylan's life honored the many times he saved hers.
    Original_Josephksa1001Poppy
  • I loved the series finale but I have a question in regards to Boyd's last question to Raylan:

Why did Boyd ask if Ava was alone when she died? Is it possible he knew she was pregnant even though she didn't tell him and that Boyd was suspicious of the lie Raylan was telling?
    edited April 2015
    @trippy Can't think of one off the top of the head from let's say 2000 on...

The Sopranos ending was mixed at best. I personally thought it was great, but I know plenty who either felt cheated or like it was an F U to the loyal fans.

Dexter was meh.

Deadwood was cheated of it's finale.

Boardwalk Empire was fairly predictable and their final season felt rushed with the fewer episodes.

Lost was panned by most.

Sons of Anarchy was mixed.

Hell, even The Wire tripped on it's own dick in the final season, and that's arguably the best show ever.

MAYBE The Shield is a contender, but I honestly don't know many who watched it and/or debated it much after it ended.
    Six Feet Under!! Yes that was a damn good concept to check in on all the characters in their deaths. That one slipped my mind.

I personally love the wire and while it's finale was well done, that final season was arguably its weakest. That's more what I was referring to (that fake serial killer for OT plot line). That would be the equivalent of having this good justified finale at the end of season 5 (it's weakest).

(Never watched BSG)
  • I liked the Star Trek TNG finale a lot, and Fringe was ok.
  • My favorite finale is Six Feet Under, followed by the Wire. Both these shows tied both the fates of individual characters and the overarching themes of the show in a very satisfying way. I guess Justified takes the third place. We'll see where Mad Men lands.
    @Original_Joseph Fringe lost me in it's final season, which was a shame as I really enjoyed it prior (aka never saw the finale).
  • The Shield has maybe the best finale I've ever seen.
  • I've never seen The Shield. Everyone says it's the best finale but I could never get past the first season.
    Surprised...great show. I thought it's ending was quite appropriate and the final episode was quite dark.
    Original_Joseph