Star Wars Groundhog's Day Marathon Saturday, February 9th 2019: How bad will it be for me?

How bored and out of touch am I going to be on this year's Groundhog's Day Marathon if I haven't watched any Star Wars and the only stuff I know about it is through pop culture?  I don't plan on watching any of the movies, are there things I can read that will allow me to enjoy this year's marathon?

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 30
    How bored and out of touch am I going to be on this year's Groundhog's Day Marathon if I haven't watched any Star Wars and the only stuff I know about it is through pop culture?  I don't plan on watching any of the movies, are there things I can read that will allow me to enjoy this year's marathon?
    I think you'll still have a good time.  I hadn't seen Groundhog Day before last year's marathon, but the camaraderie and the jokes between the guys, plus all of the food and gifts showing up, the donation shout outs, etc. it made it so worth watching.  I had a lot of fun.  I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I fully expect that this year's marathon will be just as fun.  Plus, it was and will be so heartwarming seeing the community give so much and seeing the guys raise so much money for such a worthy cause.  :)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I mean, we watched a movie 12 times in a row last year, I don't think the thing we're watching is actually the draw. We drifted in and out of paying strict attention to Groundhog Day last year, and we've seen the Star Wars films so many times I imagine something similar will happen here. Watch, makes jokes, get distracted by chat/food/whatever, things die down, movie is still on, make jokes, etc.
    ThegelatokingMichelleFlukes
  • Michelle said:
    I think you'll still have a good time.  I hadn't seen Groundhog Day before last year's marathon, but the camaraderie and the jokes between the guys, plus all of the food and gifts showing up, the donation shout outs, etc. it made it so worth watching.  I had a lot of fun.  I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I fully expect that this year's marathon will be just as fun.  Plus, it was and will be so heartwarming seeing the community give so much and seeing the guys raise so much money for such a worthy cause.  :)
    Yeah. The most obvious draw will be the guys and the chats in Twitch. I did have a good time watching all the food and making fun of Jim's socks lol
    MichelleDoubleA_Rongguenot
  • @Jim: Up your sock game this year, homie.
    gguenotMichelleFlukesGredalBeeTaraC73
  • What better time to watch the movies for the first time?
    JoshuaHeterHatorianMichelle
  • also depends why you've never seen any of them. I've met a few people who refuse to watch anything star wars just because it's a popular thing and everybody else has seen it. Anytime it comes up in conversation they are very quick to point out that they've never seen a star wars movie and don't ever plan to. Because...  reasons I guess?

If you've just never got around to watching them but wanted to, this is clearly the perfect opportunity. All those pop culture references will finally snap into place and context.

I just wonder if J&AR had any internal debate about the viewing order of the movies. I've seen entire reddit threads devolve into chaos over the 'correct' order to watch the movies  :)