The Baldies 2018 Discussion Thread

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
The Baldies are here! So how do you listen? Do you like doing deliberations first or do you listen to the actual awards show first?
Elisa

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    I went awards first, now I'm listening to the deliberations in order.  So happy to hear The Terror get the love it deserves!
    MurderbearElisaTravis
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    "In no particular order..." ...proceeds to list items in order from first to fifth place, every time.
    A_Ron_HubbardJimMichelleAussieGregBloodyTacoFlukesTravisCodyHarris821Noelhisdudeness915
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Sad to see there's no love for The Good Place :( unless I missed something
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Graham said:
    Yeah, two of the all time best comedy shows, Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place, are not worthy of Jim and A.Ron's eyeballs, apparently. Ha!
  • So glad the boys got into Homecoming. Lookin forward to S2 coverage 
    ElisaNoel
  • The Baldies are here! So how do you listen? Do you like doing deliberations first or do you listen to the actual awards show first?
    I always listen to the awards show first and then listen to the deliberations.  I'm now looking forward to working this weekend so I can listen/watch while getting paid to do so.
    MichelleTravis
  • MFGMFG
    edited February 14
    Thanks a lot, guys! Another great awards ceremony and thanks for the deliberations, too, so much content!
  • I wish I'd given more public love for A Very Giamatti Christmas. In the voting comments I gave reasons why it blew me away but I wish I'd done that here. I hope you do open it up as a general viewership thing that's easily accessed because more people should see it. 
    Bottom line, keep fleshing out great ideas that you have fun doing. 
    MurderbearA_Ron_HubbardFlukesladylarsen
  • Graham said:

They guys haven't watched it, but it did win the community's vote for best comedy so it got some attention - and it sounded like they might try to watch it some day.

@A_Ron_Hubbard ; if it helps to motivate you, The Good Place is indeed a bit "meatier" as you mentioned - I think there would be a lot for you to discuss. For example Mike Schur was invited to a conference for existentialism scholars because of the topics the show explores and they had a whole panel about the show at the conference. Definitely not typical for a network comedy.
  • If you’re curious about The Baldies backlog you can now find all of it on the wiki.
    http://baldmove.wikidot.com/wiki:baldies
    MurderbearMFGFlukes
  • Where’s The Walking Dead? 
    MurderbearMichellerustywright4
  • I'm encouraged what I'm hearing on the Biggest Misses/Walking Dead reboot debate. I hope Jim can find time to give S9a to see if the show has redeemed itself. I've been a semi Walking Dead fan for a while, mainly watched so I could listen to the guys podcast and agreed it was crap the last 4 or 5 seasons. Gave this season a chance due to lack of other things to watch and the sunk cost of 8 seasons and was blown away. Now I can't wait for S9b. I'm liking where the show is going and think it would get Jim back if he gave S9a a chance.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm encouraged what I'm hearing on the Biggest Misses/Walking Dead reboot debate. I hope Jim can find time to give S9a to see if the show has redeemed itself. I've been a semi Walking Dead fan for a while, mainly watched so I could listen to the guys podcast and agreed it was crap the last 4 or 5 seasons. Gave this season a chance due to lack of other things to watch and the sunk cost of 8 seasons and was blown away. Now I can't wait for S9b. I'm liking where the show is going and think it would get Jim back if he gave S9a a chance.
    I'd rather him get into your profile picture, but I doubt either will happen, haha.
  • I'm encouraged what I'm hearing on the Biggest Misses/Walking Dead reboot debate. I hope Jim can find time to give S9a to see if the show has redeemed itself. I've been a semi Walking Dead fan for a while, mainly watched so I could listen to the guys podcast and agreed it was crap the last 4 or 5 seasons. Gave this season a chance due to lack of other things to watch and the sunk cost of 8 seasons and was blown away. Now I can't wait for S9b. I'm liking where the show is going and think it would get Jim back if he gave S9a a chance.
    I'd rather him get into your profile picture, but I doubt either will happen, haha.
    Dude, I've been wondering why he doesn't get into it, cause he watches Daredevil and Punisher, so he's not anti superhero and Legion is like no other Superhero show I've seen. Also, ya'll praise Hawley with Fargo (on my list to catch up on). I desperately need ya'lls smarts to explain what is happening, but I love how after season 2 I'm not sure if I'm rooting for David or Farouk now! Glad to hear it got some love in the baldies discussions and I'd be a loyal listener, but sadly not sure a lot of traffic out there for it. I bet the interpretive dancing is the hangup for Jim.
    Yeah, it's the "lynch bullshit" that kind of drives him away from Legion. I think Fargo has enough Coen mixed in there with crime and what not to ground it, but Legion has some really out there stuff. But that's why I love it!
    TravisElisaNoel
  • I'm still curious about A.Ron's issues with Joel Kinnaman's acting in Altered Carbon but none with the terrible acting by major characters from Haunting of Hill House. The drug addicted brother/and the miserable pouty faced therapist were particularly bad.

Excluding Carla Gugino of course, she should be in every show.  

*Any hope for  Walking Dead coverage makes me so happy, though, because most of my friends and family have left me (rightfully so) to suffer through this shit on my own. 

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Listening to deliberation 1. I think I heard Sharp Objects in top pilot catagory. That confuses me. The show was awesome, but isn’t it only the one season? I don’t see how it would qualify. 
  • Finally finished all the deliberations and the awards show. Nicely done guys!  @A_Ron_Hubbard@Jim ; I'm curious why the deliberations were organized the way they were.  Personally, I prefer to watch them chronologically in the order they were recorded.  It feels more organic that way.  For anyone that wants to do the same, start with Best Comedy, then in order of Aron's outerwear watch red flannel, "chess" flannel, then brown jacket.  Finish with Best Male Actor, Best Female Actor, and Best Drama.
    MurderbearMFGElisaA_Ron_HubbardDummy
  • Am I right in thinking that Best Bald Movie is the only deliberation video that wasn't included in the podcast feed?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I was really surprised to see sharp objects over the expanse. I've only listened to the awards so far so maybe it'll make more sense in the deliberations but I don't get it after listening to all those expanse podcasts. 
  • I was really surprised to see sharp objects over the expanse. I've only listened to the awards so far so maybe it'll make more sense in the deliberations but I don't get it after listening to all those expanse podcasts. 
    If I am remembering correctly this was the conversation in the deliberations that lead to the "best" versus "favorite" discussions regarding TV.  Expanse was their favorite thing on TV last year but Sharp Objects was the Best thing on TV last year.  
    MFG
  • do TWD with Cecily @A_Ron_Hubbard

:D
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I was really surprised to see sharp objects over the expanse. I've only listened to the awards so far so maybe it'll make more sense in the deliberations but I don't get it after listening to all those expanse podcasts. 
    If I am remembering correctly this was the conversation in the deliberations that lead to the "best" versus "favorite" discussions regarding TV.  Expanse was their favorite thing on TV last year but Sharp Objects was the Best thing on TV last year.  

Man, imho that doesn't feel right to me since the show is based on the idea it's only what they watched. "Best" feels so nebulous it's almost useless in that context.
  • I was really surprised to see sharp objects over the expanse. I've only listened to the awards so far so maybe it'll make more sense in the deliberations but I don't get it after listening to all those expanse podcasts. 

Man, imho that doesn't feel right to me since the show is based on the idea it's only what they watched. "Best" feels so nebulous it's almost useless in that context.
    Maybe I put a little bit too much emphasis on the "best" versus "favorite."  That wasn't their only reason for choosing Sharp Objects over The Expanse.  I would recommend listening to the deliberations because they had quite the compelling reasons that Sharp Objects beat out Expanse for Best Drama and I am on the side that agrees with their selection.  The Expanse is an extremely good show but to me and what they finally decided upon was that Sharp Objects was overall a better show.  Like I said I recommend listening to the deliberations and I think their decision for choosing Sharp Objects for Best Drama will make more sense regardless of whether you agree with their decision or not. 
    Shum said:
    Finally finished all the deliberations and the awards show. Nicely done guys!  @A_Ron_Hubbard@Jim ; I'm curious why the deliberations were organized the way they were.  Personally, I prefer to watch them chronologically in the order they were recorded.  It feels more organic that way.  For anyone that wants to do the same, start with Best Comedy, then in order of Aron's outerwear watch red flannel, "chess" flannel, then brown jacket.  Finish with Best Male Actor, Best Female Actor, and Best Drama.
    That's a good point. We're always looking for ways to make the Baldies more compact and accessible, and us fitting the stuff into larger, more organized chunks was our attempt to do that. Like, five podcasts flooding your feed is one thing, we were going to have like 14 before we started consolidating.

Love the clothing detective work, though. Reminds me of the color theory breakdowns on BrBa and Mad Men!
    Shum
  • As always loved both the deliberations and the award ceremony, even though I haven't watched nearly half the shows you were talking about. Thanks guys, great work. Glaring omissions for me were High maintenance and the Borat in America show in the comedy category, but I understand why you guys have to prioritize etc. I found the deliberations on the Giamatti Christmas thing both fun and genuine, and I feel your pain on all the hours spent working on something that doesn't get the numbers it probably deserves. I for one would love to love the Giamatti christmas, but being lazy and used to getting my Bald Move dosage through the podcast app I just never understood how and where to catch it.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited February 8
    "In no particular order..." ...proceeds to list items in order from first to fifth place, every time.
    I just came on here to mention the same thing. Wondering if I was missing out on some inside joke. And maybe?

Also Filip Miucin was given short shrift in the biggest career suicide category. Of everyone on the list, he's the only one that 100% won't be paid money again to do what he was doing. It's pretty much guaranteed that Spacey will get some kind of acting job again in the future, especially if he decides he wants a redemption arc.

Miucin may not have molested any children, but he did compare himself to a cancer patient when he was asked why he doesn't just give up.
  • Hunkulese said:
    I just came on here to mention the same thing. Wondering if I was missing out on some inside joke. And maybe?

Also Filip Miucin was given short shrift in the biggest career suicide category. Of everyone on the list, he's the only one that 100% won't be paid money again to do what he was doing. It's pretty much guaranteed that Spacey will get some kind of acting job again in the future, especially if he decides he wants a redemption arc.

Miucin may not have molested any children, but he did compare himself to a cancer patient when he was asked why he doesn't just give up.
    Yeah, that was definitely the joke.  For the Miucin thing, he was intentionally given short shrift because he was a game reviewer.  If he was a TV / Film critic he would have gotten a lot more attention in the Baldies.