Star Trek Discovery Appears to be Cancelled

edited January 31 in Other TV
Well that was fast. Putting it on their shitty pay streaming service was a bad move.

hisdudeness915

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    That shitty pay streaming service is about to have Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone remake and a new adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand. 

As far as Discovery being canceled, there seems to be no indication of it aside from a few Youtube videos. I had a look at this guy's videos and he looks to be pretty firmly in the anti-Disco camp, so I'm gonna go ahead and call this video magical thinking. 
    Elisa
  • An easy alternative explanation for the tweets and such is that Pike isn't continuing as Discovery's Captain.  A little googling and wikipedia, and I was reminded that in canon Spock served 11 years with Pike.  That probably wouldn't happen on Discovery.  
    TakaFlukesFrakkin T
    edited January 31
    I've just done a bit of a dive into this youtube channel. Nerdrotic seems to hate Discovery and the new Doctor Who (the one with the gasp! lady Doctor) with equal animosity. Both are ruining long-running franchises with their politics (wink wink you know what that means). He makes videos celebrating Doctor Who's low Rotten Tomatoes scores and reviews Discovery every week even though he hates it. It's toxic masculinity wrapped up in toxic fandom and embodies everything that's wrong with fan culture. He seems to like the Orville, though.
    Flukes
  • I'm behind on Discovery so I can't really comment on it.  From what I have seen, it was so-so....not great, but enough there to make me want to see more.

The new Dr Who is amazing, it's renewed my interested in the franchise.
    MattyWeavesFrakkin T
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Jodie Whittaker was the best part in this past season of Doctor Who. I liked everyone, but she was simply... fantastic.
    CretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Based on the comments above, I'm not interested in pumping this guy's view count to watch this video.

There's a vocal minority who hate every new Star Trek series at the outset. The criticism is usually about 50% valid and 50% other. Discovery is no different. I happen to think they're off to a better than average start.
    Frakkin T
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Frakkin T said:
    That shitty pay streaming service is about to have Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone remake and a new adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand. 

Wow, really? All these shitty services are going to make me miss the days of just overpaying for a cable package and being able to see everything.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    This sounds like click bait to me.  That's a tentpole show for that service. 
    Elisa
    Frakkin T said:

Wow, really? All these shitty services are going to make me miss the days of just overpaying for a cable package and being able to see everything.
    At this rate it won't be long before some kind of aggregating service comes along, where you can pay like $20-30 a month and pick and choose which services you want.
  • I think in the future there will be stories about the Golden Age of Television followed by the Great Fracture when once it was found people would pay for streamed content everyone took their IP and started a paid streaming service of their own. When paying for all the streaming services cost more than monthly deluxe cable packages the whole system crashed to the ground.
    CretanBull
  • CapeGabe said:
    I think in the future there will be stories about the Golden Age of Television followed by the Great Fracture when once it was found people would pay for streamed content everyone took their IP and started a paid streaming service of their own. When paying for all the streaming services cost more than monthly deluxe cable packages the whole system crashed to the ground.

Agreed, the current age of the Great Fracture will get way worse before it gets better. Between the cable cutters and other streamers, as mentioned we will long for the days of paying for a 1 cable package with 90% of the channels we don't watch.

The cable and content providers have no plans of making less money than they did in the cable package model. It will likely devolve into something where you pay a monthly fee for each show you want to watch. The bigger streaming services already seem to have started to break down shows and channels in sub-subscription areas with extra payment required to view the content on the service you already pay for. Not sure what the endgame is.

• CoryCory New Scotland
    redlancer said:
    CapeGabe said:
    I think in the future there will be stories about the Golden Age of Television followed by the Great Fracture when once it was found people would pay for streamed content everyone took their IP and started a paid streaming service of their own. When paying for all the streaming services cost more than monthly deluxe cable packages the whole system crashed to the ground.

Agreed, the current age of the Great Fracture will get way worse before it gets better. Between the cable cutters and other streamers, as mentioned we will long for the days of paying for a 1 cable package with 90% of the channels we don't watch.

The cable and content providers have no plans of making less money than they did in the cable package model. It will likely devolve into something where you pay a monthly fee for each show you want to watch. The bigger streaming services already seem to have started to break down shows and channels in sub-subscription areas with extra payment required to view the content on the service you already pay for. Not sure what the endgame is.

Won't that just keep people torrenting?
    CretanBull
  • yup
    MattyWeavesCretanBull