Velvet Buzzsaw

edited February 3 in Movies
Anybody watch this? I was going to start a topic even before I saw the podcast.  It's good! Not what I expected at all.  I don't even know what I expected, but dark comedy and horror wasn't it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I also didn't expect that a movie satirizing the shallowness of the art scene would appeal to me.  All the characters are really well established and have depth, so I was pretty invested in them, even if they are somewhat caricatures.  All the actors were great.  There were a couple scenes where Gyllenhaal goes full-Nicholas Cage, but it fits the character.  There's definitely some weak dialog at points and a few sequences where I thought the plot advanced more quickly than was justified, so it's not perfect, but it's a fun movie with some depth.  I think the scene during the credits was my favorite part, lol, which says something about whatever deeper meaning this movie manages to evoke.

EDIT: Damn, I'm reading IMDB reviews and people are torching this movie, so maybe I have bad taste.  Shame.  I liked it still.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Nah, it's good, but not great, but if you have an interest in criticism or satire it's doing a lot of stuff really well. The performances are great, the writing is good, it has neat concepts, but it's maybe a bit to married to the ghost story, and it's paced so they really have to hit those big paranormal deaths heavy at the end. It's just everything is so amazing lately that if you're not putting out 4 star material that is directly relates to people it's getting panned. That's IMO, anyway.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We’re having a bunch of fun with it in this house. We’re 2 Art history minors so a lot of it is extra delicious for us I suppose.  Had to cut it last night though cause it was getting too late. Hope to finish tonight.  
  • Just finished it and enjoyed it well enough. Looking forward to the podcast