Just had a couple JW show up at my door.

CoryCory New Scotland
It's about the fifth time in the last 2-3 months, not at my request, but someone else who rarely goes to the door.

Just venting.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh man, if one of your roommates took literature or expressed interest then your domicile is now classified as a "return visit", and depending on which witness is assigned to the call, they can show up 2x a week for months. 

Normally, just asking a Witness to put you on the "do not call" list they maintain is enough to get them to back of for a few years, but now that someone at the house has expressed interest that won't work. The only way to get them to go away now is to wait until the witness assigned gets bored / takes the hint or have the person who has expressed interest tell them to stop coming. "Hey, since you last came back I looked into Jehovah's Witnesses, and I've seen some troubling things about failed predictions, child abuse, and disfellowshipping. At this point the only way I'd continue being interested is if you'll sit down with me and help me refute the charges made by jwfacts.com."  That would be endgame, but it involves confrontation which is hard. 

Thinking back, probably 90%+ of my return visits were people who would rather endure a 10-15 minute conversation at their doorstop about religion than say "look, I'm not interested, let's stop wasting both our time." And that's the thing, I knew this. I'm perceptive enough even as an 18 year old to see what's going on, but the thing is, witnesses don't worry about wasting time. They spend literally hundreds of thousands of hours of preaching to convert just a single person on average. When I was doing 100 hours a month just filling time was the hardest part.
    Kate23MurderbearFlukesweeniegirlTheRealCrazyDave
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    . At this point the only way I'd continue being interested is if you'll sit down with me and help me refute the charges made by jwfacts.com."  
    Aaaaand now I'm neck-deep (up to my beard?) in a history of facial hair among Jehovah's Witnesses. I have a job and family who need my time, you monster!
    Murderbearhisdudeness915
  • Kinda funny this thread came up a couple days ago and I read it, and low and behold, some JWs rolled up on me. Worst thing was, I was in a gas station parking lot looking over my work list for the day and this lady strolls up and scares the shit right out of me. She apologized for startling me and hands me a pamphlet and mentions "if you feel the world is in bad shape, read this." I was just kinda dumbfounded since I was in my Deathstar uniform and Deathstar truck and she decided to come up to me. I was nice to her, because I try to be nice to everyone, plus I was in uniform so I have to be a decent "face of the company." 

@A_Ron_Hubbard I hope you and Anthony do the religious podcast that you guys mentioned previously. I really enjoy hearing why people believe and feel a particular way. Also I worked with several JWs so I knew about their cultish ways and disfellowshipping their own family members. 
    Flukes
  • I haven't had a JW come to my door since I lived with my parents (knock on wood), but I was a latchkey kid and I'm pretty sure the JW's in my area targeted such kids. They would always show up between like 3 and 5:30, after kids got home but before parents might get home from work. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I was just kinda dumbfounded since I was in my Deathstar uniform and Deathstar truck and she decided to come up to me. I was nice to her, because I try to be nice to everyone, plus I was in uniform so I have to be a decent "face of the company." 

Is that code for something or is there actually a company out there named Deathstar?
  • Hunkulese said:

Is that code for something or is there actually a company out there named Deathstar?
    Code for a large communications company who's globe logo looks suspiciously like the deathstar.
  • When I was growing up we had some JWs that lived next door. Very nice family with a son and daughter that were maybe 5 to 6 years older than my siblings and I. The son actually baby sat for us several times and I got to know him pretty well. They never mentioned anything to us at all, and I’m pretty sure they never tried the door-to-door routine in the neighborhood. The only time the son talked about it was to answer my questions (I was informed about the JW thing by my parents) about why they don’t celebrate Christmas, birthdays etc.  I wonder if it’s SOP not to bug your neighbors? 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    It's been a month and they haven't returned (at least not while I've been home).  If they return I think I should just video chat @A_Ron_Hubbard and let him talk to them.  :D

• I yelled at some missionaries last summer who were bugging me and wanting to talk about Jesus while I was gardening. I was polite at first, but they wouldn't take no for an answer, so I told them to get off my (no sidewalk) property and pointed at the street, and they said BUT MAAM THERE ARE CARS COMING lol. I guess they were Mormons but still a funny story.
    telephoneofmadness
  • CeciliaM said:
    they said BUT MAAM THERE ARE CARS COMING.
    Why didn't they trust god to keep them safe?
    CeciliaMFlukes
  • They kind of squeaked. I'm glad they weren't run over by cars, obviously, but it was kinda funny.
  • edited March 21
    I just had a couple show up (My first ever, exciting right?) Having just woken up on a day off and answered the door half dressed I knew i’d already thrown these women off. Good start. During this exchange one of the ladies said non believers apply the theory of evolution in life only to find meaning.. I told her to watch The Leftovers lol. 

No more than 5 seconds into my pitch, as the word “rapture” rolled off my tongue, they’d already started to slowly walk away and abort mission. Haha, easier than I thought. 
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukesCeciliaM
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I just had a couple show up (My first ever, exciting right?) Having just woken up on a day off and answered the door half dressed I knew i’d already thrown these women off. Good start. During this exchange one of the ladies said non believers apply the evolution theory in life only to find meaning.. I told her to watch The Leftovers lol. 

No more than 5 seconds into my pitch, as the word “rapture” rolled off my tongue, they’d already started to slowly walk away and abort mission. Haha, easier than I thought. 
    They used to come by our old condo before we moved to bug my wife because she is too nice to say no, but I always told them I was too busy to fool with them and I'd go back to what I was doing.  

I don't know why more people don't just tell them to pound sand from the get. 
    CeciliaM
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 20
    @rhcoop said:

I think lots of people do. But the few times I’ve had them come to my door it’s always been some sweet little old person or kids, which I’m sure they do deliberately. I still tell them I’m not interested, but I’m super polite about it, and I always take their pamphlet. If it was just a regular adult, I’d be more inclined to just say “Not interested” and shut the door in their face. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Dee said:
    @rhcoop said:

I think lots of people do. But the few times I’ve had them come to my door it’s always been some sweet little old person or kids, which I’m sure they do deliberately. I still tell them I’m not interested, but I’m super polite about it, and I always take their pamphlet. If it was just a regular adult, I’d be more inclined to just say “Not interested” and shut the door in their face. 
    Well, I'm probably not the right person to teach people how to win friends and influence others.

I don't get pitchforks and torches out, but I just tell them I'm busy and get back to what I'm working on. Seems like they always came by when I was gardening for whatever reason. 
  • rhcoop said:
    I just had a couple show up (My first ever, exciting right?) Having just woken up on a day off and answered the door half dressed I knew i’d already thrown these women off. Good start. During this exchange one of the ladies said non believers apply the evolution theory in life only to find meaning.. I told her to watch The Leftovers lol. 

They used to come by our old condo before we moved to bug my wife because she is too nice to say no, but I always told them I was too busy to fool with them and I'd go back to what I was doing.  

Yeah next time I’ll answer wearing all white and just stand there.
    CeciliaMMichelle

• I just had a couple show up (My first ever, exciting right?) Having just woken up on a day off and answered the door half dressed I knew i’d already thrown these women off. Good start. During this exchange one of the ladies said non believers apply the evolution theory in life only to find meaning.. I told her to watch The Leftovers lol. 

Come to think of it, one of them looked like Patty a little. 
  • rhcoop said:

Yeah next time I’ll answer wearing all white and just stand there.
    Don't forget to chain smoke and have a notebook and a sharpie to write responses.
    CALVlLlAINMichelle
  • I dated an evangelical Christian in the 90s and he would have Mormons over to debate (not sure if the Mormons were aware of the arrangement lol). It was very annoying because I would call him up to go out and he would be like "I can't make it until X time because the Mormons are coming over." Surprisingly, it did not work out between us.
  • I almost never see them but a few weeks ago in snowy weather two Mormons or possibly JW showed up at the door. Two young blonde guys late teens maybe early 20s I would guess. They were very polite and kind of nervous.  I politely said I wasn’t interested before they got far into the spiel. They immediately stopped, but before they left they asked if I needed anything and offered to shovel my driveway.  I declined but was a bit charmed by the offer. Haven’t seen them back since.

Anyways it isn’t always a bad experience...   but I wish people would stop door to door stuff. Petitions, sales, religious conversion, whatever. And I have been bothered when doing yard work too which is really annoying. Especially when they are persistent and don’t take no for an answer right away. I try to be polite to everyone but sometimes that seems to be the wrong strategy. 
    ken hale
  • It's just really arrogant when someone half my age shows up on a bicycle, wearing a nametag and calling me "ma'am" and yet also thinks he has some new information that's going to inform my worldview.
    telephoneofmadnessFlukes