Just had a couple JW show up at my door.

CoryCory New Scotland
It's about the fifth time in the last 2-3 months, not at my request, but someone else who rarely goes to the door.

Just venting.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh man, if one of your roommates took literature or expressed interest then your domicile is now classified as a "return visit", and depending on which witness is assigned to the call, they can show up 2x a week for months. 

Normally, just asking a Witness to put you on the "do not call" list they maintain is enough to get them to back of for a few years, but now that someone at the house has expressed interest that won't work. The only way to get them to go away now is to wait until the witness assigned gets bored / takes the hint or have the person who has expressed interest tell them to stop coming. "Hey, since you last came back I looked into Jehovah's Witnesses, and I've seen some troubling things about failed predictions, child abuse, and disfellowshipping. At this point the only way I'd continue being interested is if you'll sit down with me and help me refute the charges made by jwfacts.com."  That would be endgame, but it involves confrontation which is hard. 

Thinking back, probably 90%+ of my return visits were people who would rather endure a 10-15 minute conversation at their doorstop about religion than say "look, I'm not interested, let's stop wasting both our time." And that's the thing, I knew this. I'm perceptive enough even as an 18 year old to see what's going on, but the thing is, witnesses don't worry about wasting time. They spend literally hundreds of thousands of hours of preaching to convert just a single person on average. When I was doing 100 hours a month just filling time was the hardest part.
    Kate23MurderbearFlukesweeniegirl
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    . At this point the only way I'd continue being interested is if you'll sit down with me and help me refute the charges made by jwfacts.com."  
    Aaaaand now I'm neck-deep (up to my beard?) in a history of facial hair among Jehovah's Witnesses. I have a job and family who need my time, you monster!
    Murderbearhisdudeness915
  • Kinda funny this thread came up a couple days ago and I read it, and low and behold, some JWs rolled up on me. Worst thing was, I was in a gas station parking lot looking over my work list for the day and this lady strolls up and scares the shit right out of me. She apologized for startling me and hands me a pamphlet and mentions "if you feel the world is in bad shape, read this." I was just kinda dumbfounded since I was in my Deathstar uniform and Deathstar truck and she decided to come up to me. I was nice to her, because I try to be nice to everyone, plus I was in uniform so I have to be a decent "face of the company." 

@A_Ron_Hubbard I hope you and Anthony do the religious podcast that you guys mentioned previously. I really enjoy hearing why people believe and feel a particular way. Also I worked with several JWs so I knew about their cultish ways and disfellowshipping their own family members. 
    Flukes
  • I haven't had a JW come to my door since I lived with my parents (knock on wood), but I was a latchkey kid and I'm pretty sure the JW's in my area targeted such kids. They would always show up between like 3 and 5:30, after kids got home but before parents might get home from work. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I was just kinda dumbfounded since I was in my Deathstar uniform and Deathstar truck and she decided to come up to me. I was nice to her, because I try to be nice to everyone, plus I was in uniform so I have to be a decent "face of the company." 

Is that code for something or is there actually a company out there named Deathstar?
  • Hunkulese said:

Is that code for something or is there actually a company out there named Deathstar?
    Code for a large communications company who's globe logo looks suspiciously like the deathstar.
  • When I was growing up we had some JWs that lived next door. Very nice family with a son and daughter that were maybe 5 to 6 years older than my siblings and I. The son actually baby sat for us several times and I got to know him pretty well. They never mentioned anything to us at all, and I’m pretty sure they never tried the door-to-door routine in the neighborhood. The only time the son talked about it was to answer my questions (I was informed about the JW thing by my parents) about why they don’t celebrate Christmas, birthdays etc.  I wonder if it’s SOP not to bug your neighbors?