And So Our Watch Begins (GoT 67 day Countdown)

edited February 6 in Game of Thrones
Starting today watch  S1E1 - “Winter is Coming”, then watch one episode everyday through April 13...

Thought it would be fun to have a thread for an “episode a day” watch that goes through April 13 and leads directly up to S8E1

I’ll try to keep up with the podcasts as well but anyone please feel free to help with each days content, show or podcast...as it relates to your excitement about the final season.
Kate23Dummy

Comments

• Thanks for doing the math!

My problem is, I can never stop at just one.
    I'll try though; I especially like following these with the podcasts. I did an Expanse rewatch that way, it was fun. 
    djcaudle01Landscraping
  • edited February 7
    I drive 2 to 4 hours for work everyday so I've been mainlining the Podcasts from start to finish. Currently up to Season 6 Episode 3. Somewhere in season 6 is where I first found out about Bald Move. Been a watcher since Season 1 came out on Blu-ray, and then read the first 2 or 3 books before season 2 came out then knocked the rest of the books out and have been hooked ever since. I just finished a rewatch and will probably do another one of season 6 and 7 just before 8 airs.
    djcaudle01
  • S1E1 - Winter is Coming (Notes)

*Not going to re-hash anything obvious but I thought this thread would be a good place to point out potential “nuanced foreshadowing”, which is my term for mining the future to find gems in the past, fools gold or not...

1) The first interaction and first appearance of Rickon is he runs up to Jon with 4 arrows, the same number it took Ramsey (albeit showboating) to take him down during the last scene we see Rickon in. 

(maybe this is too much of a stretch for my nuanced foreshadowing method, don’t care, get over it Jonsnowflakes)

also this happens immediately on the heels of the first “Winter is Coming” announced by Ned Stark

2) Theon’s first words are “It’s a freak!”, if you don’t listen too closely this sounds exactly like “Reek!”

3) When Robert says “I have a son; you have a daughter....we’ll join our houses”, could this be a reference to Gendry and Arya????

hope you all don’t mind me doing this...I’m super excited about this season, please anyone who notices things they think have not been “mined”, let us know...we may seriously never have a lead up to a show like this again, let’s suck this thing dry

Kate23
  • S1E1 - Podcast Note

So one note from the podcast, A&J mention how much Arya wanted to see “The Imp”...but does she ever get to see him?, like in 7 seasons???

Tyrion is with Ros when the families are meeting...then he is out back with Jon Snow while Arya is being sent to bed early...the next day the men go hunting and it seems that they never are in the same place...after the first episode they are for sure gone their separate ways so unless I’ve missed something I think she will be meeting Tyrion for the first time when he gets to Winterfell???
  • S1E1 - Podcast Note

So one note from the podcast, A&J mention how much Arya wanted to see “The Imp”...but does she ever get to see him?, like in 7 seasons???

Tyrion is with Ros when the families are meeting...then he is out back with Jon Snow while Arya is being sent to bed early...the next day the men go hunting and it seems that they never are in the same place...after the first episode they are for sure gone their separate ways so unless I’ve missed something I think she will be meeting Tyrion for the first time when he gets to Winterfell???
    I don’t think they ever meet on screen. However I think it’s implied that the king stays there for several weeks to a month after bran falls out of the window. So it would be likely that they met at some point during that time we don’t see.
    djcaudle01
  • That cold open.... Brilliant to start the whole series with the WW attack; then, after a few small and subtle reminders it kind of fades into the background. And now here we are again.

Now it's an inconceivably huge army. I wonder if years and years from now people will say it was basically a typical zombie story with zombies going from kind of manageable to an overwhelming army because nobody listened or paid attention, and instead they focused on a stupid game of taking the iron throne.

I was all in on Cersei's and Jamie having killed John Arryn, until Lysa told me otherwise. Another great subversion of omniscient viewer. 
    djcaudle01MurderbearDuckofdoom
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It really is a great open to the series. It's how the first book starts as well.
  • edited February 8
    S1E2 - “The Kingsroad”

The most interesting thing about this episode as it relates to “final season theories” is Cersei’s heart 2 heart with Lady Stark per her firstborn child:

Cersei here...and Gendry later in S2...sound like they are describing each other.  If Cersei did arrange for her first and only legitimate prince to be taken away under the guise of SIDS or whatever, or maybe Robert under suspicion that Cersei may kill the child over her hatred for Robert, either way this could offer a potential redemption arc for Cersei in season 8? 

Lets say Bran informs her that Gendry is her firstborn and she keeps it a secret until something is about to happen and she sacrifices herself...we can all see this trope playing out a thousand different ways....however if it does play out this way, Gendry could be that one person that everyone could get behind as the heir to the Iron Throne if Jon and Dany can’t have kids.

• I almost believe this about Cersei/Gendry rather than the one in the podcast that she came to kill Bran. She seemed to grow into her deviousness as the seasons went on, not really starting out as a fully formed evil queen. 

Something always bugged me.
    When they set off from Winterfell, my internal compass is telling me Ned etc. turn left, and so must be riding North; and Jon, Benjen, etc. turn right and so must be riding South. Doesn't feel right Every Time. 
  • edited February 9
    S1E3 - “Lord Snow”

Sorry with “Not” Groundhog Day Marathon I didn’t have a lot of time for effort with this episode...

One comment...I’ve never had Bears Balls but I have had Rocky Mountain Oysters at a place called The Fort outside Morrison, Colorado...and yes, they are “a bit chewy”, but like escargot with enough butter and batter they are awesome!

BTW...64 DAYS TO GO!!!
  • One of my favorite bits of music, the ending scene training with Syrio, the wooden sword sounds blending into real sword sounds. 

djcaudle01Shum
  • Kate23 said:
    One of my favorite bits of music, the ending scene training with Syrio, the wooden sword sounds blending into real sword sounds. 

What do you think Ned is thinking at the end of that scene? That thousand yard stare though!
  • S1E4 - “CB&BT”

2 thoughts...

The first time we see Hodor interact with Bran, he is asked by Theon to “help Bran down the hall”...makes for an interesting book end to their relationship.

Oh boy Lady Stark’s stubbornness is on full display at the end of this episode...maybe 18 years of raising her husbands’ bastard has her so constipated with rage that she is willing to put the whole kingdom in jeopardy on just the word of freaking Littlefinger, but here we go, she arrests Tyrion at Lexington and Concord and makes sure we all have at least another 2.5 seasons of great tv!!

63 DAYS LEFT...short, very short days
    Kate23
  • Kate23 said:
    One of my favorite bits of music, the ending scene training with Syrio, the wooden sword sounds blending into real sword sounds. 

What do you think Ned is thinking at the end of that scene? That thousand yard stare though!
    Oh a bunch of things....his experience with "real" fighting as when he told Jamie why he doesn't do tourneys, and so how Arya has no idea yet, because it's still fun, about the dangerous world she wants to be a part of; and maybe wondering if he's doing the right thing giving her this training, but realizing there's no way he could've stopped her, so at least maybe some skills will help protect her, and maybe wary pride and seeing his sister in her. A parents' concern, which is always a stew pot full of different things. Yes, so much in that look. I miss Ned!! 
    djcaudle01
  • Oh god yes, how frustrating is E4 in hindsight. And if only she'd actually gone back to Winterfell!!
  • S1E5: First, I LOVE to hear Sean Bean's northern accent seeping through in his dialogue. I miss Ned!
    I was always a little confused about Varys' response in small council mtg when he says "if the gods grant Danaerys a son the realm will bleed"... we're led to believe he & Illyrio are major Targaryan supporters, surely they didn't prefer Viserys over her?
    One of everyone's favorite dialog scenes, the sparring between Varys and LF. 
    Ned packs the catspaw's dagger just before LF lures him back to the brothel; pretty sure that's the last time we see it before LF gives it to Bran?
    I paused/rewound a million times for the Hound/Mountain fight. It really did look fairly even and awesome, and maybe even the Hound did a better job of forcing the Mountain to defend against a stroke longer. So great. But now the Mtn is even stronger supposedly. Doesn't he look like A.Ron in this episode.
  • I think a Sean Bean appearance in the last season could be awesome, if done right (Bran's vision or flashback, not a zombie Ned). I still miss him on the show.
    djcaudle01
  • Kate23 said:

One of everyone's favorite dialog scenes, the sparring between Varys and LF
    This this this...second only to a potential Clegane bowl (part 1), the sparing between LF and the Spider has to be the most entertaining season one battle especially in that you could argue for days as to who wins and/or has the upper hand...

btw, thanks for helping with the SxEx stuff...I don’t pretend to be anywhere as interesting as “the boys” but I think it’s good to have an Oswald Chambers type meditation for the final countdown lol...

(oh and I wish I had titled it “And So Our RE-watch Begins)
  • Hey I was going to apologize for getting the jump! had to watch over lunch to make time for True Detective tonight. 

Forgot to mention the scene with Cersei and Robert---I like the podcast take that it could've been Cersei asking him for the last and only time about Lyanna, knowing he'd be dead soon if her plan worked. 
    djcaudle01
  • Kate23 said:
    Hey I was going to apologize for getting the jump! had to watch over lunch to make time for True Detective tonight. 

Forgot to mention the scene with Cersei and Robert---I like the podcast take that it could've been Cersei asking him for the last and only time about Lyanna, knowing he'd be dead soon if her plan worked. 
    Whoever gets to it first it’s all good!

So one more thing in S1E5:

When they are debating how to kill Daenerys, you could make a case that they curse themselves with their own demise being eerily close to what they recommend...

Vaerys didnt really mean that he wanted her dead and therefore he is still alive...

King Robert (in E2) suggests enlisting a “bold man” to kill Dany...Cercei enlists her cousin a few episodes later to do the same to Robert

Pycell bears her no ill will but suggests pragmatism, almost Word for Word what Qyburn says as he is overseeing the murder of Pycell

Renly says it “has to be done, unpleasant as it is”, as we know Stanis found ZERO enjoyment in fratricide...( although he did seem to enjoy making shadow babies)

Little-Finger’s self-curse is obviously the best...
    ”Cut her throat! And be done with it”
    Kate23TheRealCrazyDave
  • S1E6  Listening to the podcast at the gym I literally lol when Jim went off about “chants” and how long do they go on.
  • Kate23 said:
    S1E6  Listening to the podcast at the gym I literally lol when Jim went off about “chants” and how long do they go on.
    Makes me think of Mike from Twin Peaks..”One chants out between two worlds...Fire, walk with me”
  • S1E6 - Cont..

One last comment about the podcast, they mention Ros being killed by Joffrey as his play thing as having been foreshadowed by Theon’s previous remarks...

I have to just halfway disagree with this in that she may have been murdered by Joffrey but she was killed by Little Finger and not because she failed in her duties as a whore but because she very  much succeeded as a spy for Varys...

This was explained by Peter Baelish in the episode “The Climb” in what was the most amazing and well thought out speech that serves as a blueprint for how someone with no power can constantly re-shuffle the deck until you get a set of cards that are favorable to your potential outcome 
  • edited February 13
    S1E7 - “You Win or You Die”

Little textile humor in the title there ...haha...ho...ha....ehh...no one? any Textile Engineers out there? Ok...

So Peter Baelish telling his “little guy always wins” tell tale broken heart story is GRRM to all of us; at least through the first 6 1/2 seasons.

Its almost easy to forget the quasi-proxy revenge he must have felt at putting that knife to Ned’s throat...and I haven’t read the books but it makes you wonder...who was whispering in The Mad Kings’ ear right before he burnt Ned’s older brother and father to a crisp?

60 DAYS TO GO!!
  • It had been building for a while but E7 was when I really started to think, oh no, not another "people making stupid decisions with awful consequences" series...but it was so well done, AND I cared so much about the characters making those stupid decisions (except Sansa), so I kept watching. But I wanted to reach in and throttle Ned, as I'd just gone through the whole Sharpe series back then. 

I haven't read the books either but good point about who was whispering in the Mad King's ear. And I wonder what LF's modest price would've been for Ned following LF's advice. Oh well, moot. 

djcaudle01
  • Kate23 said:

And I wonder what LF's modest price would've been for Ned following LF's advice. Oh well, moot. 

Modest Price = Sansa Baelish
  • Kate23 said:

And I wonder what LF's modest price would've been for Ned following LF's advice. Oh well, moot. 

Yeah, eventually, right? He did tell Ned to keep her promised to Joffrey tho. I also realized that actually this might be the last time we saw the catspaw dagger, when LF swivels it around to himself. 
  • Kate23 said:
    Kate23 said:

Yeah, eventually, right? He did tell Ned to keep her promised to Joffrey tho. I also realized that actually this might be the last time we saw the catspaw dagger, when LF swivels it around to himself. 
    Was the catspaw what LF used on Ned’s throat? If so it’s that much sweeter when Arya does her thang!

• It's just a regular dagger, I guess because Ned wasn't yet in a cell. 
    Went through all "the story of" videos posted in r/freefolk news& pleads last night, great stuff. I hope I remember some intern things brought up, when we get to those episodes. 

• I don't have much to say about ep8.
    Ep9, Baelor.  God. This and The Door get harder and harder to watch each time. 

Jon gets Longclaw and we learn about Maester Aemon, and Robb gets Jamie,...I was so hopeful for a minute or two! And Joffrey becomes irredeemable.