306 - Hunters in the Dark

Directed by Daniel Sackheim 
Written by Nic Pizzolatto and Graham Gordy 

Comments

• ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    I'm so psyched for old man style, gettin' the band back together, bumblefuckin' to justice, Hays and West.

This episode has a 9.7 on imdb, tied for the highest with ep 4 of season 1. Get pumped!
    MichelleNaugustinealexander.klassenOpusWho
  • http://entertainmenttalk.org/itunes-feeds/

iTunes feeds here for true detective and more :) 
  • he had to drink the water...he was so thirsty.
    Reni
  • edited February 11
    "You've got a nice body detective" is some of the weirdest "Get Out" style racial shit I've seen since... well,  "Get Out."  My feelings have only compounded since seeing the pink room bank vault scene.
    OpusWho
  • Oh man, poor Tom...doesn't he know you can't pray the gay away?

i have to watch this again right away with captions on. 
  • "You've got a nice body detective" is some of the weirdest "Get Out" style racial shit I've seen since... well,  "Get Out."  My feelings have only compounded since seeing the pink room bank vault scene.
    Yea. I wonder if that means he’s gay and has a relationship with Tom. Which would make the ending of the episode all that more interesting. 
    calebthrowerMurderbearrhcoop
  • This episode creeped me out. Did anyone else think Hays was going to pop Roland when he asked him to check out the window for the sedan?
    rustywright4
  • or was Roland telling the truth about not seeing the car?
    Kate23Murderbear
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    I’ve got an ever increasing feeling that Roland or Amelia are going to betray Wayne.

• Why did Amelia say "dolls" after that milk-eye guy slammed the book down and left the reading. (He's such a good character actor too)

rustywright4
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Kate23 said:
    Why did Amelia say "dolls" after that milk-eye guy slammed the book down and left the reading. (He's such a good character actor too)

I assume it was because the woman who made the dolls was the one who said a black man with a milky eye was the one who bought the dolls.
    Kate23AussieGregPangsalexander.klassen

• I assume it was because the woman who made the dolls was the one who said a black man with a milky eye was the one who bought the dolls.
    D'oh! 
  • My only hope for the show is Tom did something horrible like rape his son because that poor guy has done nothing but suffer and it don't look like his life is going to be changing for the better anytime soon.

Plus I loved Scoot McNairy as Gordon on Halt and Catch Fire, leave the poor man alone!
  • That ending! Something tells me he’s not about to tell Tom that he double parked...
  • "You've got a nice body detective" is some of the weirdest "Get Out" style racial shit I've seen since... well,  "Get Out."  My feelings have only compounded since seeing the pink room bank vault scene.
    “Get Out” was genuinely amazing, especially never having considered the idea of liberal racism before...

Other than the creepy factor I must have missed the “racial” component in this scene as well...I’m not being faux naive, I honestly didn’t pick up on the racist or racial component??

Have you seen JP’s trailer for “Us” ??? Holy hell it looks terrifying
    rhcoop
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Trolling us with that real tie. Look I totally feel the Vietnam Vet LRRP having PTSD in fear of being strangled. If he did tunnel duty, that very intimate combat.... I know a vet with stab scars on his chest and similar stories of choking a guy to stay alive.  I’d wear clip ons too. Good for purple to heal and get back to regualr ties.
    djcaudle01
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh I speak crazy, I’m fuckin fluent. - Purple Hays
    CapeGabeHatorianwebbsinfernorustywright4sarahtatuga
  • cdrive said:
    Oh I speak crazy, I’m fuckin fluent. - Purple Hays
    Nic P is probably a top 3 writer in the industry. regardless of how the show turns out or what happens the man can fucking write. 
    Michelle
  • Also they should have a Emmy for like supporting supporting actor. Or 3rd most important character. Cuz Scott McNairy fucking killed it this episode. 
    AussieGregjohnnytruantrhcoopMichellewebbsinferno
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    That ending! Something tells me he’s not about to tell Tom that he double parked...
    That last scene was tense but read strangely to me. Did Tom have some awareness of the house? He scoots through there pretty knowingly for finding the secret lair like that. And are we meant to read that Harris James knows him more than simply by reputation? He watches him on the security cameras and walks up in an awfully confident way for a guy walking up on a terrified, angry, armed man.
    Kate23Pangs
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    MoonMan13 said:
    That ending! Something tells me he’s not about to tell Tom that he double parked...
    That last scene was tense but read strangely to me. Did Tom have some awareness of the house? He scoots through there pretty knowingly for finding the secret lair like that. And are we meant to read that Harris James knows him more than simply by reputation? He watches him on the security cameras and walks up in an awfully confident way for a guy walking up on a terrified, angry, armed man.
    This is one of the main reasons why I'm leaning toward the idea that Tom and Harris had a relationship of some kind. He did seem puzzled by the vault and the hall that followed but up to that point he definitely went through the house like he'd been there before.  
  • Anyone else notice the commercial sign in English and Spanish above the vault door. Weird to have in someone’s home. Unless it was an area strangers/buyers were allowed to visit 
    MurderbearKate23Michellealexander.klassen
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    gguenot said:
    Anyone else notice the commercial sign in English and Spanish above the vault door. Weird to have in someone’s home. Unless it was an area strangers/buyers were allowed to visit 
    Somehow you just made that scene even creepier. 
  • "My only hope for the show is Tom did something horrible like rape his son because that poor guy has done nothing but suffer and it don't look like his life is going to be changing for the better anytime soon."

I don't think this is the situation.  I think Tom is just one of the unfortunate people in life who just don't catch any breaks and life constantly just dumps on them.

"or was Roland telling the truth about not seeing the car? "

I sort of was going off the impression that Wayne is imaging this car and that it's not there.  That's why Roland says he doesn't see a car.

"Did Tom have some awareness of the house? He scoots through there pretty knowingly for finding the secret lair like that. And are we meant to read that Harris James knows him more than simply by reputation? He watches him on the security cameras and walks up in an awfully confident way for a guy walking up on a terrified, angry, armed man. "

Eh, I don't know in terms of how easy Tom scoots through.  I mean, would you really want to spend a few extra minutes of Tom opening the wrong door and winding up in a room that leads no where?  Just a way to keep the story moving without wasting too much time.  As for being watched, it could be that they purposely lured Tom into the head and this was a set up all along.  Or, they immediately spot Tom and realize how they want to handle this situation.

Basically, it sounded to me in the current timeline that Tom gets killed in the 1990 timeline so I'm not really expecting Tom to make it out of this situation.

rhcoopMichelle
  • edited February 11
    I am pretty confused by this page that was shown of Amelia's book...

Particularly by whatever she described on the left page which seems like some sort of car accident. When did this happen? Is this when something happened to their daughter? She mentions looking for her phone. her book came out around 1990 so I doubt she would've had a cell phone then (and of course they wouldn't have had their daughter)... Is this the sequel/updated version? The title is the same as her 1990 book. As for this Ed dude, the only character I could find is this but wasn't he killed by Woodard?
    I just really don't know what's going on here. I do believe her book was mentioned to be literary nonfiction, so I doubt it's all just made up, but I have trouble placing it in the timeline.
    Kate23
  • Apparently, that left page is from a real book, "The Woman in the Window." I have no idea what it means. Could Pizzolatto just be trolling viewers who freeze frame things like this?
    Murderbear
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky

"My only hope for the show is Tom did something horrible like rape his son because that poor guy has done nothing but suffer and it don't look like his life is going to be changing for the better anytime soon."

I don't think this is the situation.  I think Tom is just one of the unfortunate people in life who just don't catch any breaks and life constantly just dumps on them.

"or was Roland telling the truth about not seeing the car? "

I sort of was going off the impression that Wayne is imaging this car and that it's not there.  That's why Roland says he doesn't see a car.

"Did Tom have some awareness of the house? He scoots through there pretty knowingly for finding the secret lair like that. And are we meant to read that Harris James knows him more than simply by reputation? He watches him on the security cameras and walks up in an awfully confident way for a guy walking up on a terrified, angry, armed man. "

Eh, I don't know in terms of how easy Tom scoots through.  I mean, would you really want to spend a few extra minutes of Tom opening the wrong door and winding up in a room that leads no where?  Just a way to keep the story moving without wasting too much time.  As for being watched, it could be that they purposely lured Tom into the head and this was a set up all along.  Or, they immediately spot Tom and realize how they want to handle this situation.

Basically, it sounded to me in the current timeline that Tom gets killed in the 1990 timeline so I'm not really expecting Tom to make it out of this situation.

I think you're right about the on--screen pacing, but I'm more responding to theway he seems to be behaving through it. Idk, I should watch again. Could have also gotten info from the cousin? 
    It's interesting to note that the cousin was found in Missouri. And that Harris only ever 'dissappeared' even though it looks like he has the upper hand in this situation. Was it ever mentioned what became of Tom by 2015?
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Hatorian said:
    "You've got a nice body detective" is some of the weirdest "Get Out" style racial shit I've seen since... well,  "Get Out."  My feelings have only compounded since seeing the pink room bank vault scene.
    Yea. I wonder if that means he’s gay and has a relationship with Tom. Which would make the ending of the episode all that more interesting. 
    I think that is a lot closer to the mark than it being racial. 
    Pangs
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn

I'm of two thoughts on the relationship to the kids have to the child sex trafficking ring conspiracy and the owner of the chicken plant.

1.  The Purcell mom was allowing the kids to be abused by the child sex ring or discovered this was happening and was paid money to keep quiet during the disappearance in the 70's and after.  The uncle mentioned about her getting money from someone you can't renegotiate with.  That sounds a lot like a very wealthy chicken plant owner. 

2. The owner of the plant is actually the biological father of the Purcell kids and I'm guessing something bad happened to them if the father was trying to reach out to the kids or their mother threatened to blow the whistle on the chicken plant owner unless he paid out more hush money. 

No way Tom survives what we see at the end of the episode, he was a race car in the red this entire episode. 

I also think they are playing Chekhov's tie right now, that's the 3 or 4th time ties or being strangled.  I'm wondering if Wayne almost gets strangled via his tie or does that to some one else (like the former cop who's dirty) in a fit of rage over what happens in the case (ala Tom showing up dead).
    tom_g
  • MoonMan13 said:
    I think you're right about the on--screen pacing, but I'm more responding to theway he seems to be behaving through it. Idk, I should watch again. Could have also gotten info from the cousin? 
    It's interesting to note that the cousin was found in Missouri. And that Harris only ever 'dissappeared' even though it looks like he has the upper hand in this situation. Was it ever mentioned what became of Tom by 2015?

I thought in the present day timeline they said something about "what happened to Tom in 1990" and my interpretation of that was that he also got killed or was found dead.  So, that's why I'm expecting Tom not to survive the 1990 timeline.

As for the house, i get what you're saying, but i mean, when in doubt if something says "do not enter" and that door is left open for some reason, then you're going to enter, especially if it's a basement like level.  But yeah, maybe a tad too easy for Tom to find if he has never been in the house before.